If one were to take a 34" scale bass fret board blank and lop off its first 3 frets, placing the nut were the 3rd fret would be, would it ultimately make a 28.5" scale fret board? If the bridge location and intonation were set correctly of course.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by Fridge101
If one were to take a 34" scale bass fret board blank and lop off its first 3 frets, placing the nut were the 3rd fret would be, would it ultimately make a 28.5" scale fret board? If the bridge location and intonation were set correctly of course.

No it would not. the scale incorporates all of the frets spaced at a certain distance. Chopping off a little of the length will not change the scale, it will just make the guitar non-intonateable and useless
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No it would not. the scale incorporates all of the frets spaced at a certain distance. Chopping off a little of the length will not change the scale, it will just make the guitar non-intonateable and useless

No, this is not true.
A lot of people cut off a fret or two on some fretboards to do different scales.
What you do to calculate what scale that will be is measure from where you will cut it off (where the nut will be) to the 12th fret after that. That is your scale of waht it would be if you cut it to that fret.

If you cut it at the 3rd fret, you will have a 28.59" scale. But keep in mind you will have less frets now.
Last edited by Explorerbuilder at May 10, 2014,
See that's what i thought as well i just wanted to check with those smarter then myself And i am fine with taking a 24 fret bass board down to a 21 fret baritone as its mostly for rhythm playing anyways
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
If the 12th fret isn't exactly half the distance between nut and bridge, you aren't going to intonate properly. Since the 12 fret will always be 17" away from the nut, the bridge would always have to be 17" away from the 12 fret. If you change the scale length, the 12th fret would need to be moved.
This i know. I should have stated in opening post that this idea was for an upcoming build were I would place the bridge accordingly to the fret board after it is cut. I just wanted to make sure the math was sound.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Sorry, early mornng. Didn't really read the first post! The maths is spot on- lopping off the first three frets cuts the scale down to 28.59". That puts the original 15th fret directly halfway at 14.295" .I've just checked a fret calculator and cross referenced the distances between frets for 34"(+3 frets) and 28.59", and you're only 0.001" out on those distances.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at May 10, 2014,
I'm sure such a minuscule amount wouldn't be heard by the average human ear no? Thank you guys so much for the info
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
That's a great idea Ill research more about zero frets as ive never done one yet aside from an old teisco I have that was built with one
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If the 12th fret isn't exactly half the distance between nut and bridge, you aren't going to intonate properly. Since the 12 fret will always be 17" away from the nut, the bridge would always have to be 17" away from the 12 fret. If you change the scale length, the 12th fret would need to be moved.

Right... which is why when you cut the first 3 frets off the 12th fret of the previous scale is no longer the 12th. THe 15th becomes the new 12th fret... think a little deeper about it man.