Need some wise words to enlighten my mind about this:

My Peavey 6505+ 112 just went dead last month. It's been less than a year since I bought it... I was thinking about what might have happened, what might have caused it and something crossed my mind. But first things first: I think my Peavey doesn't sound that great on it's own and needs some heavy eq'ing to make it sound like a beast. I ended up putting a nice little Boss GE-7 in the loop to help with the sound shape, and it's always on. Had to boost drastically the lows and the high mids, taking off some highs and low mids, which quite opened the sound in a powerfull way. Raising the sound level on the GE-7 also seemed to help a bit. Then, there's this pedal, the Tech21 Boost DLA, which adds a controlable volume boost and delay whenever I need to make a solo and cut through the mix. So, two different pedals in the FX Loop that boost the signal. Here's my question: is it dangerous to have such a mismatch of sound level between the FX Send and FX Return?

Cheers from sunny Portugal! (and apologize any eventual mistakes)
Last edited by Kivenkantaja at May 9, 2014,
No, the boosts in the loop are fine.

Do all of your tubes light up?

Do you get sound if you plug your guitar into your FX Return (nothing in the Input)?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I doubt anything is seriously wrong with your amp. But you need to describe what exactly you mean by "it went dead" before anyone can help you. It probably just has bad power tubes or maybe even just one bad preamp tube (a $13 fix).

As for your tone questions, it's a matter of taste. I thought mine sounded pretty good right out of the box, just with the onboard EQ. But then I replaced all the tubes with JJs, and replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence Governor, and WOW! (And now I'm running a 412 cab loaded with Govs/Swamp Thangs...= awesome.)

As for pedals, I'd recommend getting an overdrive pedal to put between the guitar and amp input (not in the loop). Run it with the gain all the way off and the level all the way up. This method is used by thousands of metal players to get a tighter, more present sound. I think you'll find that your EQ settings won't need to be as drastic either. (By the way, you won't hurt anything doing what you've been doing.)

Keep your EQ pedal in the loop. Those are very nice to enhance the frequencies you want to hear. I've found with mine that I like to cut some of the "middle" mids and boost low mids/high bass and the upper mids instead. As you said, it's very beneficial to cut the highest highs on that amp. Nobody likes the sound of fizz.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If I remember well, all the tubes light up (the amp is with the repair guy since then). Two fuses, the main and one in the main board (F2 or F3, can't quite recall), went kaput.

I just wanted to know what might have caused this... I feared the signal could be too overloaded with all those boosts, or something...
It seems the amp will stay there for quite a while, as the repair dude said he's got lots of amps to repair. Oh well, back to my Sansamp PSA I shall go!

Cheers!
By "went dead" I mean the tubes and lights would turn on, but no sound whatsoever.

KailM, it seems we share some musical tastes! Immortal are the best!!
As for your recommendations, well, I actually prefer my distortion without any kind of pre-preamp boost. Feels more gutural and dynamic to me, but it's a matter a taste. Only use TS9 (front)+ Boost DLA (loop) whenever I'm soloing. I just can't praise that Boost DLA enough - it's just such a practical tool for soloing.. The tone and volume jump are perfect that way.

As for the speaker, I modded my combo into a head and use it with a Marshall 1960 cab loaded with 2 vintage 30s and 2 swamp thangs. It sounds absolutely crushing and at the same time piercing in a pleasant way.

Rock on!
Quote by Kivenkantaja
By "went dead" I mean the tubes and lights would turn on, but no sound whatsoever.

KailM, it seems we share some musical tastes! Immortal are the best!!

Hell yeah!!! They're coming out with a new album this year too...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Hell yeah!!! They're coming out with a new album this year too...

Really? I sure hope you're right! Those guys haven't released that much in the last 12 years or so... Man, that guitar sound Abbath nailed in All Shall Fall is really something. I wonder what gear he used on that recording...
TS, it could always be a case of bad solder. I took my 6505+ combo head to my tech this week for a case of power tubes apparently suddenly dying. Was thinking maybe a cap had blown or something, but turned out that there were a number of bad solder joints according to him.
Hope it gets fixed soon
I've had that exact amp for a few years now, and I've not had any problems with the loop, so whatever it is, it's probably a minor flaw and not the fault of the amp. The repair should take perfect care of it

And there seems to be some black metal going on here, I also approve of your username, stonebearer Just came up with some atmospheric black metal compositions today
That's right, Stonebearer cool man, keep it up! The repair guy said two condensers of the high tension source (doing my best here with the terminology) are kaput. I'll also have to change the power tubes as he said one of them had a leak on the grid. Please, bear in mind that I'm portuguese and sometimes translating these terms is a bit tricky
What's a Portuguese guy doing with a finnish name? Changing the tubes is a basic procedure and fairly easy, but I have no idea of the condenser stuff :P
I'm a big fan of Moonsorrow, what else?! Kivenkantaja is one of their albums. The best, if you ask me
You're welcome.

And just found out: "condensadores" translates to "capacitators" eheheh! So, I assume it's what you guys call "caps" over there
Quote by Kivenkantaja
Oh btw, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xKz1wRWnVc

Tell me what you think of it if you have the time

Nicely done.

At first I thought you had covered the keyboards and everything and I was like "Damn, that sounds EXACTLY like the recording!!!" Then I heard that you just covered the guitar parts. I love Abbath's style and composition. He always makes it sound like there's more than one guitarist, but it's all HIM.

My favorite to play is "One By One." Damn, that song took a long time to learn; and even now, I have to be on my game to play it properly.

As for what he used on All Shall Fall, I'm pretty sure he's been using an Engl Powerball for awhile now.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Engl? Really? They usually sound more dry and punchy... abbath's made it sound mushy in a good way. Sounds cold, but not sterile. Very dense kinda feeling.
^^He uses quite a bit of gain and bass in his EQ, and it doesn't sound like it's boosted with an overdrive. I do believe he scoops his mids a bit as well. I can get pretty close to his sound with my 6505, but it's not perfect. Anything Marshally/British would work better. But a hell of a lot of it is in his playing and chord choice. As you know, some Immortal stuff is very challenging to play, including the older Demonaz riffs.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood