So recently I came into some money and, as any idiot in their 20's with student loans to pay would do, I decided I needed a new acoustic.

I currently play a cheap Ibanez PF series. Don't get me wrong, she's amazing, I just want an acoustic-electric for performance purposes. I've been borrowing a friend's when I need one.

Things I feel like I wanted in an A-E:
Dreadnought body (cutaway)
Spruce top (It's what my current acoustic is and, for the most part, I like the sound)
I expect I'll probably throw an average-to-heavier string gauge on it.

Anyway, I spent some time on various sites and found a couple identically priced acoustic-electrics on GuitarCenter.com. I plan to get out and try them both out, but I wanted to get your guys' opinions. Which of the two do you think is a better idea (links below)?

Thanks.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-110ce-Sapele-Spruce-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-107440786-i2287055.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AW3000CEWC-Artwood-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-H12880-i1552010.gc
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
TBH, I think you'd be better off listening to the 2 guitars straight up, rather than tainting your impressions with our opinions.

A few small points though:

1. You won't get any love whatsoever for the Ibanez here. Although, we normally get bombarded with questions about their low end garbage. For all the world I couldn't tell you what a high end Ibby sounds like though. Mark that as an abstention.

2. You'd probably get more love for Taylor's GA & GS bodies here, rather than the dreadnought. Don't know if any of these are in your price range though. (Anybody's dread can be a little boomy and slightly vague in the bass). But, you say you're going for light or medium strings, so I'm guessing you want a bunch of bottom. Just make sure it stays clean when you really thrash your prospects.

3. I would be remiss if I didn't suggest you look at Yamaha's offerings, @ $500.00 or less. You might save a few bills if you hear something you like.

4. Most people here are rather fond of the Seagull S-6 Original. However, cedar top, and no cutaway might be the deal breaker as far as you're concerned.

5. One thing the Ibanez has going for it, would be the Baggs electronics. I think the Baggs sound a bit better, and are much easier on batteries, than the all too prevalent Fishman product.

I don't know what the slightly upscale Baggs sounds like as opposed to the stock Taylor offerings.

Taylor guitars do have a reputation for being fairly forward in the mids and highs. This, so they can make their presence know in a band's mix.

Other guitars you might sample in your price bracket would be the Guild "GAD" models, and perhaps a Breedlove or 2 as well. Guild's "GAD" models are asian built, which should come as no surprise at less than a grand. Which pretty much holds true across the board at you price point. Not to worry, there's a lot of,"your money's worth and then some guitars", coming from Asia these days, with many Korean companies being in the forefront.
i like the taylor 100 series, although i also like solid top seagulls and guild GADs. also there's the yamaha FGX730SC. don't know that i'd call ibanez acoustics garbage, but to my ear they don't hold up to other guitars i've a/b'ed them against and their qc is sometimes lacking.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
...[ ].... don't know that i'd call ibanez acoustics garbage, but to my ear they don't hold up to other guitars i've a/b'ed them against and their qc is sometimes lacking.
Um, you wouldn't call the Talman series "garbage"? That's awfully sporting of you. (Or, "charitable", take your pick).
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 10, 2014,
of the 2 you have listed....hands down, the Taylor is the clear winner. good bass response and mids with the DN body. crispy highs. i wouldn't go any higher than medium strings.
i have a taylor DN but it really does get upstaged by the GS body( which isn't offered by taylor until you hit the 300 series sadly).
hopefully soon, you can hit a GC and try them both so you can get a much better informed opinion.... yours ! i love the hunt for new guitars, it's a lot of fun trying out a bunch of new toys !!!!
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
okay, yes - i would definitely consider the acoustic talmans garbage

Quote by Captaincranky
Um, you wouldn't call the Talman series "garbage"? That's awfully sporting of you. (Or, "charitable", take your pick).
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Of those two, The taylor, no contest because:

It has a very easily resettable neck, which means you could hand it down to your great grandchildren. - I don't like the idea of use once and throw away guitars.

The bright powerful tone can be moderated by string choices, lute holes and the like if you find them a bit too much of a good thing.

and

The Ib acoustics I've played recently have sounded fairly ordinary to me.
You can get an all solid wood Seagull for that price. I bought an all solid mahogany model and it's fantastic sounding.
Quote by Captaincranky

1. You won't get any love whatsoever for the Ibanez here. Although, we normally get bombarded with questions about their low end garbage. For all the world I couldn't tell you what a high end Ibby sounds like though. Mark that as an abstention.

I tried an Ibanez the other week (£400ish) and knew the tuning heads wouldn't have lasted long with my heavy hands.