So i have recently started a new extreme metal band and i have major problem, when picking or shredding my pick fells of or when doing it. Using Dunlop and fender 0,5 mm. Should i use bigger one like 0.7 or smaller like 0.3 ? I known its ridicules but i can't really play that fast with pick with size of that.
For shredding, I usually reccommend 1mm or even thicker. You need a pick that won't flop around.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Thicker is almost always better. I see a lot of beginners prefer thinner picks. When I started out I didn't play anything thicker than 0.4mm for a while but as I got better I felt thicker picks give you more control and are more efficient because they don't give. Playing with a thin pick nowadays gives me a feeling of "lag".
I have used Dunlop Tortex .60 for over a decade and I really like them.

It comes down to personal preference, there is no right answer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have used Dunlop Jazz III Max Grip for quite a while now, about 0.77mm thick and I would definitely recommend them.
It's quite easy to keep a firm grip of them, regardless of how fast you play because of a "ribbed" area for gripping.
They're also quite hard to bend because of the thickness, so they don't flop around across the strings.
http://i.imgur.com/3es85.jpg Here's a picture of them, next to a regular sized pick, so you can see the difference.

Tl;dr
Dunlop Jazz III Max Grip ~0.77mm.
Easy to hold.
Easy to play with.
Doesn't flop around.
I don't really "shred", but I do play black metal. I use a 1.5 dunlop max grip.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at May 12, 2014,
I love Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks. Or just any Dunlop sharp picks, really.

I just really like the sharper picks for fast playing. And as many have said, thicker is usually better for faster playing, too. But if you're playing with such thin picks right now, I'd just gradually move up to thicker picks if I were you.
I'm using Razers from Gravity Picks in 2mm and 3mm. Sharp point, available in about four sizes (I have huge hands and use the Standards), thick and inflexible. Expensive, which may be why I don't lose them. And they don't fall out of my fingers. I use the standard polished picks, but there are some serious texture options available as well.

I've been using my Raptor picks lately. When I first started using them, they felt very big compared to the Jazz-type picks I would usually use. I put them down for a long time, in favor of Jazz III picks. But I picked one up today and it felt very good for speedpicking, something which I preferred the Jazz-type picks for.

These are Raptor picks

They have a point for doing pinch harmonics with, but I'm still not very good @ that. But the curved edge makes pick slides very easy.
Quote by PsiGuy60
For shredding, I usually reccommend 1mm or even thicker. You need a pick that won't flop around.

+1

Obviously a lot of it is personal preference, but if you're using a very thin pick and not much enjoying it, try the more usual size for those genres of music and see if it helps.

Quote by themaniac9
But if you're playing with such thin picks right now, I'd just gradually move up to thicker picks if I were you.

That's also a good point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Usually I find that the thicker and sharper - the better,

Personally I also prefer metal picks to anything else (they give you a really nice punch), you just have to work up the muscle to use them accurately...

Also, I prefet larger picks to smaller, Jazz3 types, they you can change where you grip to change from small pick kind of feel to something more resemblind a standard, thin pick
I second the opinion that all Jazz III's are the best bet for extreme metal. I've got a bunch in like every variety lying around my room.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I can play with any size pick.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Jazz III Ultex. The regular Jazz IIIs slip too much for my liking, but the Ultex is a stickier material that provides better grip. If you can't find any of the Ultex picks, the Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs also have good grip.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
The .88 mm Dunlop picks I use work good with thrash metal. Anything with some thickness and a sharp point is what you need.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Guys guys guys...

Nobody seems to have mentioned the Jazz III XL. They have the same pointy tip as a Jazz III for that super quick clean playing, but are the same size as a regular pick. So the grip on them is awesome.

Best thing ever!