Song 6
1 6%
Song 7
2 11%
Song 8
1 6%
Voters: 18.
Hih

Have you ever had a crush on Katy Perry? Of course you have, everyone does. No? What about Shakira, she's pretty h... well, you definitely had a crush on Dee Snider right? Come on, UG agrees, she's a 10.

Also, still a SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:
Got covers?

Covers week 1, from May 24th to May 31st.

Go check out some Katy Perry songs! (You know you want to...)

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Darkness" (nico_9550)

2 - "Red Drips Through Skyscrapers" (Skinny91)

3 - "The Right Time" (sickman411)

4 - "Its Go Go, Not Cry Cry" (whywefight, FoOltz, FlipComplex)

5 - "Findings" (Joshua1207)

6 - "Slaughter Routine" (Faux)

7 - "Tension" (Scarmadillo)

8 - "Staring at the Moon" (chev311e)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's last week's most voted songs, from chev311e it's "The Dark Trail", and from FoOltz we have "File Not Found"!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Monday. The winner of this week's voting will become a mod in our group.

------------------
The roll is perpetual.

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1642538

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: The voting is over! This week's winner is Skinny91 with the song "Red Drips Through Skyscrapers", with 8 votes!
(He'll be a mod on our group, until the next voting)

In second place, and the runner up, sickman411 with the song "The Right Time", with 4 votes!

Thank you all for voting (and participating)!
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at May 12, 2014,
Let me vote for the youtube video!
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Wait, can anyone add songs?
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer

Yep anyone who joins the group can participate in this.
@Epi: We have one of these every week (this is the 22nd week as you can see), so if you join our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory), you can write a song starting today (you're supposed to write and record these in a week) and link to it in a comment in the group page until next Friday, and then it will be on next week's thread.

If you win a particular week, you'll be a group mod for a week, and if you win or get second place, your song will be on our next compilation album (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1640574).

Anyway, I'll be listening and voting soon.
Last edited by sickman411 at May 10, 2014,
Quote by EpiExplorer

Judging from the lyrics of the song we added, yes

Will check out the songs later, awesome to see a bunch of songs this week though.
So, inspired by what Spoony Bard and SirZep have been doing, I'm going to try to write a bit on each song. (I started to write a bit less after the first couple of songs and I realised I can't express my feelings on songs as well as I thought. But here they are anyway.)

Darkness
I liked your chord choices (as, by the way, I often do; you seem to come up with pretty interesting chord progressions). You're using an interesting rhythm that doesn't really wear out because there's enough variation in the chords making up for the constant rhythm pattern which kind of holds the whole thing together. It does however sound like it could use a bit of development. Right now it's just some chords with a structure, and it would be interesting to have heard a lead guitar and/or vocals over it, or some extra instrumentation.

Red Drips Through Skyscrapers
Quite prog-sounding. I liked the structure you went for. After the first verse, the song "asks" for a different section and a buildup exactly where you put them. I liked the idea of there being an instrumental interlude between the two verses as a standalone section (i.e. not just there for the sake of the buildup or making a connection). I also liked the contrast between the two verses (mainly dynamics + "speed" of the vocal melody). It could maybe have had a more hooky chorus-type bit though.

The Right Time
10/10 would bang

Its Go Go, Not Cry Cry
I really liked the main guitar bit from the intro/verse. The sections flowed nicely and I really liked the overall feeling. The vocals were a bit sloppy but more in a "we don't really care" type of way; they were pretty amusing too. Loved the #bantz at the end. It's a pretty straightforward song so I don't have much else to say.

Findings
The first bit sounds nice with the drone-ish bass while the other instruments were implying different chords. I really liked the contrast to the second bit (around 40 seconds in), where the harmony is more marked. I like the way it builds up from there, although the first few repetitions might have been excessive. Wasn't expecting that ending, and I say this in a good way.

Slaughter Routine
Great use of your signature vocals, with the loud/quiet dynamics and all of that. It was kind of aggressive and straight to the point. Pretty good overall. That "nice and catchy"-sounding bit in the middle there was a nice surprise. It's short but the shortness fits the character of the song.

Tension
It starts with a verse-chorus-verse-chorus type of thing. I like the way the verses are essentially the same but feel quite different, but I think you might have overused the main verse thing a bit. Then again, this is probably more expected and natural in styles like D&B; maybe thinking it's too much is just my thing. The "chorus" bit was strange at first, but it was really nice by the second repetition. I really liked that "woosh" sound halfway through it. Then there's the chill section in the middle, which is just great.

Staring at the Moon
Nice atmosphere. Kind of minimalistic, in a nice way. Had just the right length too, I feel. I liked how the lead guitar style/tone changes drastically halfway through. The first half reminded me somewhat of Skinny's songs for some reason.

I voted for Joshua. Good job, Joshua.

And thanks, three unnamed people who voted for me. Also, nice to see more voters this week.
Quote by whywefight
Judging from the lyrics of the song we added, yes

Will check out the songs later, awesome to see a bunch of songs this week though.

Whoa you guys were able to get Jesse Lacey to sing on your track? (or am I the only one who hears that?).

Anyways love the chill vibe.
Last edited by chev311e at May 10, 2014,
Quote by sickman411

Staring at the Moon
Nice atmosphere. Kind of minimalistic, in a nice way. Had just the right length too, I feel. I liked how the lead guitar style/tone changes drastically halfway through. The first half reminded me somewhat of Skinny's songs for some reason.

k.

I feel like Skinny has very much influenced my songwriting throughout the weeks.

Oh and my next idea: we do covers of each others songs.
Quote by chev311e
Whoa you guys were able to get Jesse Lacey to sing on your track? (or am I the only one who hears that?).

Anyways love the chill vibe.

Man I wish

edit: voted for skinny's because it's a damn fine piece of songwriting

Also for a bonus, here's the song I started on last week before running out of time and ideas http://vocaroo.com/i/s1wpaFP61uTm
Last edited by whywefight at May 10, 2014,
I've listened them all this morning, but I'm doing it again now because I can't decide too many good songs
Thank you all for the kind words, the song started out really serious but by the end it turned into a joke song haha. I had a hard time this week but I went for "Its Go Go, Not Cry Cry" (whywefight, FoOltz, FlipComplex).

Also thanks for the specific writeup sickman, much appreciated I'll try and get writing up something about everyones pieces in future, I think its good to have specific feedback to improve on what we do.

Edit:

Quote by chev311e
I feel like Skinny has very much influenced my songwriting throughout the weeks.

This is very kind, thank you I think you are the person I have voted for the most overall so the feelings are certainly mutual haha.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Last edited by Skinny91 at May 10, 2014,
Quote by Skinny91
Also thanks for the specific writeup sickman, much appreciated

Quote by Skinny91
This is very kind, thank you I think you are the person I have voted for the most overall so the feelings are certainly mutual haha.

Now I really want to see who I've voted for the most.
brb

EDIT: FoOltz. 3 from Exactly That and 2 from just him, so 5 total.
4 for chev
3 for whywefight (duh), 3 for Skinny, 3 for Joshua
2 for bartender
1 for a bunch of other people.
Last edited by sickman411 at May 11, 2014,
Quote by chev311e

I like this idea.
Quote by sickman411

Darkness
I liked your chord choices (as, by the way, I often do; you seem to come up with pretty interesting chord progressions). You're using an interesting rhythm that doesn't really wear out because there's enough variation in the chords making up for the constant rhythm pattern which kind of holds the whole thing together. It does however sound like it could use a bit of development. Right now it's just some chords with a structure, and it would be interesting to have heard a lead guitar and/or vocals over it, or some extra instrumentation.

Thanks for the comments man I appreciate it. I knew it was kind of incomplete without a melody but I couldn't seem to find one. I'm usually better at harmonies than medolies

Anyway I voted for Skinny, but I thought all the songs were pretty great these week