Hello everyone!

I have recently picked an electric guitar and I am having a blast with it...
Coming from an acoustic, I am realizing what an essential tool the pick is on this "new" instrument!

As (likely), most of starting electric guitar players, I am ordering different picks everywhere to check which one I like the most (not to mention the several set of strings ordered, the constant search for the best setup, etc, etc...).

I have gone through some crappy Tiger picks (.81mm), just received some Dunlop Alex Forbes (1mm) and have been reading a lot about the JazzIII.

I have some doubts, regarding the different Jazz III picks. Basically... which one should I order?

From what I gathered, the black is harder and more geared towards metal and heavier sounds (which is not my style, really). So, I am thinking on ordering some red Jazz III. The question is... Is there a difference between the normal Jazz III and the max-grip Jazz III? I read somewhere that the material is slightly different and that the tip is also a bit different. Is this so? Which one do people recommend? Would the normal Jazz III be bad for my (relatively) big and sweaty hands?

I will probably end up ordering the original (and then, eventually, the max grip), but I am looking for some pro insight from the lot of you!!!!

Cheers
The Max Grip Jazz III just has a better gripping surface to it, and there is no difference in the points between the Max Grip and the regular Jazz III. I would start with the Max Grips if I were you.
The Jizz IIIs were a bit small for my XXL hands (I've settled in with Gravity Picks' Razer in 2-3mm). I was more than a little surprised to find that these smooth acrylic picks actually stayed in my hands, even (and especially) when sweating. Gravity also makes the same picks with some textures, holes, etc. They're expensive, so don't leave them out where your sticky-fingered pick-swiping friends can get to them. And don't be tossing them out to your adoring fans from the stage <G>.
I use dunlop jazz III XL. its larger than a normal jazz III but smaller than a regular pick. I think regular picks are easier to play while standing, but the jazz III XL gets you closer to the strings for a little more palm action. The standard jazz IIIs have alot of palm action in my opinion b/c they are so small and have to be held so close to the strings.
Where I come from, you don't play no guitar, you don't get no pussy
I use both red and black Jazz IIIs, and I don't believe there is any difference other than the colour (though the reds seem to keep their shape better, so there's that). Never used maxi-grip, but honestly it's no big difference, very rarely will you drop a pick whilst playing. You should know that Jazz picks are very different to other picks, they are quite small, very stiff, and very pointy, so it will take some time getting used to, but once you do they are glorious. As for hand size don't worry, I got big lanky Paul Gilbert hands and they're fine.
Every music store carries those picks. Just go try them.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by dspellman
The Jizz IIIs

sticky-fingered

tossing

ewwwwwwwwwwwww
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you all for your answers!!!!

I have my Amazon cart filled with different picks, cables, tuners...

Anyway, I think the next picks I'll try are the red Jazz IIIs. I just have to decide between the max grip and the others. I want the original experience of the Jazz III (given, if I understood correctly, they are kind of iconic). That's why I am hesitating to order the max grip!

Anyone out there that has used both would be kind enough to share their opinion? I mean, good sense says they are the same, but I read somewhere that they have a different feel and just want to have the opinion of people that have had 1st hand experience!

Thank you all you pro guitar players!!!
Quote by milcs
Thank you all for your answers!!!!

I have my Amazon cart filled with different picks, cables, tuners...

Anyway, I think the next picks I'll try are the red Jazz IIIs. I just have to decide between the max grip and the others. I want the original experience of the Jazz III (given, if I understood correctly, they are kind of iconic). That's why I am hesitating to order the max grip!

Anyone out there that has used both would be kind enough to share their opinion? I mean, good sense says they are the same, but I read somewhere that they have a different feel and just want to have the opinion of people that have had 1st hand experience!

Thank you all you pro guitar players!!!

Spend the $5 on each and see.

That is the only way you'll know......no matter how much is read about them.....1,000 opinions still will not compare to the pick in your own hands.

Fortunately....most picks are low cost and easy to obtain.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by DubfromGA
Spend the $5 on each and see.

That is the only way you'll know......no matter how much is read about them.....1,000 opinions still will not compare to the pick in your own hands.

Fortunately....most picks are low cost and easy to obtain.

I would... but if they are exactly the same, apart from the grip, I think it would just be throwing money away! I would rather be spending money on totally different picks... Do you see my point?
Depends what you want to do.

If u strum a lot or want to do those typical funk rhythms an big pick is bit nicer. I use the small jazz 3 ones and can do strums and the like without much of a problem, but I found the sound to be very articulate and focused, hence a big pick is a bit nicer.

You can get a more loose sound by adjusting with the jazz 3's, but I played for over 10 years and am not sure how much that affects that.

If u want to play faster stuff, the jazz 3 is nicer, because there is less pick surface the pick feels more stiff. Thickness helps as well, cause the sound can feel as if there's a "lag" eith softer ones as well as make more added scratchy noises at higher speeds.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Received 6 red jazz III max grip and I am totally digging them. Compared to the dunlop I was using before (Alex Forbes 1.0mm), they are a world apart. Much live picking sound, much faster... The Alex Forbes seem like rubber against the trings! The Jazz III give me the speed, precision and sound I am looking for!

NEVERTHELESS... They are super small!!! With grabbing the pick and what not, very often I end up bumping the strings with some other parts of my hand! How do you guys hold this pick?

Cheers