Picked up a used Fender (made in America) JP-90 yesterday for $200.

I was thinking of changing the finish, but afraid of screwing it up.

It's got some scuffs on the back from a belt buckle and nice star on the bottom like it fell off the strap.

Would it ruin the guitar to try and refinish it DIY style?
Take it to your local motorcycle or car painter. If it were mine, I'd probably just leave it alone, but I'd suggest don't rattle can it and don't put an oil finish on it.

It's a solid chunk of wood. As long as you get it back on the neck properly and all the little hardware bits back on it properly after you paint it, what's to ruin?
Quote by dspellman
Take it to your local motorcycle or car painter. If it were mine, I'd probably just leave it alone, but I'd suggest don't rattle can it and don't put an oil finish on it.

It's a solid chunk of wood. As long as you get it back on the neck properly and all the little hardware bits back on it properly after you paint it, what's to ruin?

If you do it right you can get just as good of a finish with rattle cans as you do with a spray gun/brush.

But you must get good paint and apply it correctly (heating the cans before you use them is a huge way to reduce orange-peel, spitts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you do it right you can get just as good of a finish with rattle cans as you do with a spray gun/brush.

But you must get good paint and apply it correctly (heating the cans before you use them is a huge way to reduce orange-peel, spitts

You CAN get a great finish with rattle cans. YOU can get a great finish with rattle cans. My efforts usually end up looking like a wall in South Central LA. And nobody told me that a blowtorch is a bad way to heat the cans before using them.
Nice bass there

I have no experience with stuff like that. I'd be scared of screwing it up, too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
You CAN get a great finish with rattle cans. YOU can get a great finish with rattle cans. My efforts usually end up looking like a wall in South Central LA. And nobody told me that a blowtorch is a bad way to heat the cans before using them.

OK fair enough. But it is not as hard as you make it seem I swear. Boil water and let the cans set in the water for a minute
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 10, 2014,
I know a little about woodworking. I'll have to sand it and clean it up with some kind of solvent before I try and put another color over the original.

Maybe I can find a tutorial online.
Last edited by bdwfb at May 10, 2014,
Quote by bdwfb
I know a little about woodworking. I'll have to sand it and clean it up with some kind of solvent before I try and put another color over the original.
Maybe I can find a tutorial online.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0JwUPu6q2w[/media]

Watch this video and all of the following videos that go with it.
(Invalid img)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah watch all of the videos he has on redoing that guitar. He explains things decent and they guy is very entertaining
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate