Hello, I've been planning this for a while and since my (not awesome) amp is starting to act weird, and I've wanted to do this for a while, it's time to seriously consider a change of amp.

My budget is definitely limited and rather a matter of saving a bit of money than something I have available at hand, so I'd say around 400$/300 euro is the limit of what I'm able to reach price-wise. I've had a chance to test the Bandit in a store and I was very pleased with it (not even to mention the ridiculously massive improvement over what I have), the distorted tone sounded very decent and rather clear, and I loved the option of both 3 clean and 3 distorted tones as well. I've also heard overwhelmingly positive opinions and reviews regarding the amp.

Basically, the question is if within this budget (I may go for used if I find a good offer) you would recommend me the Bandit, or if there are any other amps at a comparable price which may work better and that I should try to test, if I find one.

In terms of what I play and what I'm looking for: I'm looking for versatility since above all I love progressive metal in pretty much all forms, and besides that also some lighter atmospheric/alternative rock, as well as some more straightforward thrash/death/doom metal. Therefore the choice between clean and distorted channel is a must, and I need both to sound good. As for distortion, I'm not into an uber-high-gain "chainsaw" kind of sound, I prefer a fat, heavy, but also fairly clear sound for rhythm and a fairly warm lead sound - I'd say the recent John Petrucci tone is quite loosely what I'm after (with the emphasis on "loosely", I'm not expecting to get the same results with 30x cheaper gear ). My guitar is Schecter Demon 7.

As I said, I've had a chance to test it (on my guitar) and the Bandit seemed to fill the above criteria quite well, so it's just a question whether there's an amp that may do even better that I'm not aware of. Oh, and by the way, I need the amp mostly for home practice this far, but would also be nice if it could handle a rehearsal or very small gig (but then the Bandit definitely seemed powerful enough to handle that).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by TheLiberation at May 10, 2014,
how quietly do you have to play at home? since you're in europe, jet cities are really hard to beat for the price (and the combos are probably just about within budget), but if you have to play at whisper volume i'm not sure tube is the way to go (though nothing will sound amazing at whisper volume, really).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, actually I don't have to play too quiet, I usually stay fairly close to the amp (1m or so) and if I'm alone at home, I just play the loudest without it hurting my ears otherwise just a bit quieter. I was thinking solid state because of that though, I don't have to play quiet but I don't think I'd be able to properly crank a tube amp, besides a few other reasons. (Was thinking of this amp for my current practice, and then rehearsals and maybe even very first gigs if I find a band, and then getting a tube when I'll actually be able to use it properly)
Last edited by TheLiberation at May 10, 2014,
What about getting a nice multi-fx unit with amp modelling and a powered speaker?

Other than that, I'd go for a Peavey Vypyr. It's better than the Bandit.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have a bandit. Barely use it now. It's ok if you want to practice, but it leaves you wanting more. I've been using amp software for a good while over that now.
Quote by TheLiberation
Well, actually I don't have to play too quiet, I usually stay fairly close to the amp (1m or so) and if I'm alone at home, I just play the loudest without it hurting my ears otherwise just a bit quieter. I was thinking solid state because of that though, I don't have to play quiet but I don't think I'd be able to properly crank a tube amp, besides a few other reasons. (Was thinking of this amp for my current practice, and then rehearsals and maybe even very first gigs if I find a band, and then getting a tube when I'll actually be able to use it properly)

it's really up to you.

to my ears, I'd rather have a tube amp even if i can't crank it. like, a tube amp not cranked sounds 8 out of 10 to my ears. cranked sounds 10/10. solid state sounds 5/10 regardless of the volume (and probably less than that when cranked). So to me, it's not about using things to their full potential, it's about using what sounds best for the specific situation.

it's up to you, though, and if you don't want to faff about with tubes etc. that's your prerogative. Just there are tube options within your budget if you want to go down that round. the jca2212 combo is 277 euros on thomann, and the 50 watt 1x12 combo is out of stock, but would likely be around your budget (maybe a little more, like 20-30 euros if I remember correctly from the last time it was in stock).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I admit tubes and their maintenance/buying new ones are part of the reason why I'd prefer to stick with a solid state for now - there are several other expenses I'm planning in the near future, and I just don't feel too confident with a tube amp yet. I might take it into account, not saying entirely no.

Also, I'd prefer to stick with a "traditional" amp for now for a variety of reasons. And I forgot to mention it's important that the amp takes pedals well - I haven't had a chance to test that myself but I heard Bandit does that well.
yeah it's totally up to you
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, so thanks for all the suggestions - I still have a bit of time, so I guess I'm gonna start with some youtube research and then see what I can test properly
Quote by TheLiberation
Ok, so thanks for all the suggestions - I still have a bit of time, so I guess I'm gonna start with some youtube research and then see what I can test properly

Yes, do so. Hell, isn't a Vyper cheaper than a Bandit? That sounds like 100 times better than my Bandit does from what I've heard. It's not that you can't work with it, but I just feel like you can get better.

As for pedals. it took my DS-1 and HM-2 very nicely. Sounds pretty good.
It has a FX loop if you ever want to add modulation and time effects as well.

The Clean channel is ok,

Dirty channels are ok but not super impressive. Vintage sounds nice and crunchy, High Gain sounds like Vintage with more gain, and Modern sounds a little flatter and less mid-heavy, for the metal heads out there.

It has a spring reverb tank, and a dynamics knob that's apparently supposed to adjust the warmth and response to make it sound more like a tube amp.

I'm just describing it though, not recommending it. Like I said, I'd try to look around a bit more. If you're sure, go for it.
Last edited by Clay-man at May 10, 2014,
Well, like I said I was very much into the Bandit because I had a chance to test it for something like an hour and well, I was kind of blown away - felt something like three leagues about what I have now, for a price which is relatively far from being brainmelting. But yeah, I was just wondering if I'm not trusting the "blown away effect" a bit too much and if there's not anything that I overlooked. I heard about the Vypyr but I thought it's more expensive, was a bit surprised to find out today it's not.
If I were you I'd watch Musician's Friend for the next time they do a "stupid deal of the day" on the JCA50 combo. They've been doing it pretty regularly. They are so much better than a Bandit that it's laughable.
Tubes really aren't a hassle and the small amount of effort required to occasionally change a tube is worth it for how much better it sounds. The Bandit is a good backup amp to have bouncing around in the back of the truck but they don't sound that good. Their cleans are useable but the drive channel is a mushy, muddy mess that will eventually make you want to throw it out of the truck while cruising down the freeway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Although, it's not recommended, I haven't changed my tubes in years. It's really not a thing that people make it out to be.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by Cathbard
If I were you I'd watch Musician's Friend for the next time they do a "stupid deal of the day" on the JCA50 combo. They've been doing it pretty regularly.

I'm guessing he's in Europe since he listed euros in his OP- the regular thomann price is cheap enough that it's under budget (or near enough).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?