I have this rather annoying problem of being octave deaf. I have extreme difficulty in telling which octave a note is at times. I can hear the difference just fine, but if I am tabbing a song for example, it can be extremely difficult to tell which octave to put the notes on. This applies especially to vocals and some other instruments with lots of vibrato and faint fundamentals.

I realize that theoretically sometimes it is indeed impossible to resolve the octave, or even notes in a very busy arrangement, but I would still somehow like to get better at this. Do you guys here know of any practices or methods to alleviate this problem?
I didn't know there was such a thing as being "octave deaf". I would just keep trying to transcribe by ear, then check to see how close you were by looking in a tab book or something. You should naturally pick up the different octaves.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
I'm not sure what's going on with you, but have a look through these.
http://dianadeutsch.ucsd.edu/psychology/pages.php?i=202
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_tone

I am well aware of these phenomena, but I don't have trouble because I am hearing missing fundamentals in my head.

Quote by Hadrlycore

I didn't know there was such a thing as being "octave deaf". I would just keep trying to transcribe by ear, then check to see how close you were by looking in a tab book or something. You should naturally pick up the different octaves.

Honestly, I think this is more common than you would think. Everyone must be at least a bit octave deaf considering that the lower octave tones naturally contain the higher octave ones as well. I don't have much trust in tab books as they are often enough done by plain old tone deaf or lazy people it seems. And in the studio, the answer actually frequently is that two of the octaves are being played. It's not that I can't tell the octaves apart at all, just that I have difficulty with "is it a C4 or a C5".
I used to have it. Most often vocals would end up an octave lower (also if I sang along to a song) and things like bowed string instruments or orchestral backing would sometimes end up an octave higher. Sometimes bass lines as well. Good news is you can still get better at it with enough practice and I don't think I have this problem anymore.