I've been playing for a while and my guitar and amp are literally battered and verging unplayable at this point I have a epiphone les paul special 2 and a amp that is complete crap so I won't even bother putting up the name (if it has one). I'm guessing the first thing to get is an amp so I was thinking the peavy vypyr vip 1 or the line 6 spider iv? For the guitar I'll probably go for a jackson or esp but I will have to save up after buying the amp. Anyway any suggestions?
budget?
location?
new or used?
gigging or home use?
what type of music/bands do you want to sound like?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Really its gonna have to be £200 max for the amp, guitar probably £350 ish max. Im in London (UK). This is for home use and recording on my computer (how would i do that?) and im looking for a kind of ballad rock tone like dhalif from youtube as close as possible to that cause i know he probably has expensive gear lol
Probably a Peavey Vypyr or Vox VT, both excellent modelling amps. Avoid the Spider.

For the guitar, a more upmarket Epiphone than your current one would be good.

For advice on recording stiff, go to the Recordings sub-forum and read the sticky about the different options you have for gear.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Don't spend money on the guitar right now, just look at the amp. Get a Laney LC 15. You can find them online pretty easy for about 260 quid. If you watch ebay you could probably get it cheaper. On it's own it's great for blues, pop, rock and classic rock. With a tube screamer of some sort you could do metal. Laney are wonderful amps and in the UK they are the best value for money that you will find.

because you are recording you will also want a mic and I would recommend a sure SM57

So you are looking at 260 for the amp, 100 for the TS pedal, and 80 for the mic if you don't shop for deals on ebay. Shop around and you should be able to get the lot for under 400 quid leaving you with 150 left over to pay a luthier to file down the nut, level the frets, and adjust neck relief, action, and intonation.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 10, 2014,
right and will that get me the same kind of tone as dhalif or as close as i can within the budget?
It's going to get you as close as you can possibly come without dropping thousands.

also see my edit to the previous post.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Don't spend money on the guitar right now, just look at the amp. Get a Laney LC 15. You can find them online pretty easy for about 260 quid. If you watch ebay you could probably get it cheaper. On it's own it's great for blues, pop, rock and classic rock. With a tube screamer of some sort you could do metal. Laney are wonderful amps and in the UK they are the best value for money that you will find.

because you are recording you will also want a mic and I would recommend a sure SM57

So you are looking at 260 for the amp, 100 for the TS pedal, and 80 for the mic if you don't shop for deals on ebay. Shop around and you should be able to get the lot for under 400 quid leaving you with 150 left over to pay a luthier to file down the nut, level the frets, and adjust neck relief, action, and intonation.

This is excellent advice.

Hey Cord, nice to see you back around!
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
take a look at jet cities too. I'd say they've overtaken laney in terms of value for money these days- their prices have gone way down and laney prices have gone way up. On thomann the jca2212 combo is just over £200 (though be aware your CC company will probably rip you slightly on the exchange rate and maybe charge a fee too). or the 5012 combo (out of stock) is not much more money, i don't think. plus i think they have a fair bit more gain on their own than the laney, too, and have two channels.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 10, 2014,
For recording into your computer I'd suggest an audio interface (just google audio interfaces), a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like FL Studio or Reaper or even just Audacity (free), and a program called S-Gear 2 by Scuffham Amps. All you'd have to do it plug your guitar into the interface's 1/4" input via a regular guitar cable and have Audacity or w/e you get record S-gear. S-Gear is a guitar amp simulator that is very good for how inexpensive it is. It's 99$. There's also a free 2 week trial you can get if you just want to try it.

For an amp, I haven't played the spider 4s but I'm assuming it's almost the same as the Spider 3s, which are good until you turn them up past 1... Just go an find a tube amp at GC used. Just go there and play everything until you find one you like.
Would a tube amp sound more like dhalif than a solid state?
That question is bigger than you think and it shows how green you are. It is safe to say that if you want to sound like dhalif you want a good valve amp, however, a good valve amp will not make you sound like dhalif.
Quote by Ferzo

I'm assuming you want to record and have it sound like him, and if that is the case then you should get S-Gear. A lot of the presets sound just like that guy's tone.
Quote by CorduroyEW
That question is bigger than you think and it shows how green you are. It is safe to say that if you want to sound like dhalif you want a good valve amp, however, a good valve amp will not make you sound like dhalif.

yeah. it should help and all that, and you won't be able to blame the gear any more, but it's also pretty dependent on being able to play like him, too.

(this is an exaggeration,since the gear isn't anywhere near as critical for electric guitar, but it's sort of analogous and hopefully illustrates what we mean)

it's like formula 1 racing- vettel can't win a formula 1 race with a family hatchback. give me a formula 1 car though and I won't win a formula 1 race, either. you need the proper gear to have a fighting chance, but you also need the ability/skill to use the gear.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To capture that tone in a recording is much more easily done with digital modeling than mic'ing an amp. Nearly any decent multi-effects or amp sim software will get you in the room. The rest is up to you.

Dhalif has very expressive hands and his solos always tell a story. Just really excellent phrasing and development. His raw technique doesn't suck either. Good luck with your quest as your goal is a good one.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 10, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. it should help and all that, and you won't be able to blame the gear any more, but it's also pretty dependent on being able to play like him, too.

(this is an exaggeration,since the gear isn't anywhere near as critical for electric guitar, but it's sort of analogous and hopefully illustrates what we mean)

it's like formula 1 racing- vettel can't win a formula 1 race with a family hatchback. give me a formula 1 car though and I won't win a formula 1 race, either. you need the proper gear to have a fighting chance, but you also need the ability/skill to use the gear.

str8 up

good stuff dave
banned
I suggest a multifx with a looper and a cheap lil starter tube amp (ex; epiphone valve jr's are as cheap as any amp, simple as can be and they sound pretty good). I always suggest a looper to anyone who spends a lot of time practicing. Its a suberb tool to work on learning scales, timing, new ideas, late night headphone jam buddy.*Just a very useful, entertaining piece of gear to have.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
What kind of effects does he use and would I find those built into my amp or using some kind of software on my computer?
Quote by Ferzo

Ironically I'm fairly certain Dhalif uses a PodXT Live for most of his recordings, which aren't expensive at all.

While his tone does have a bit of that solid state sound to it, he's just one of those guys who can probably plug into anything and make it sound really *really* good.
Quote by deadsmileyface
str8 up

good stuff dave

Quote by Ferzo
What kind of effects does he use and would I find those built into my amp or using some kind of software on my computer?

if you're going the modeller route it should have effects built-in. normally delay and/or reverb help with lead tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know about the Vypyrs, but I have a Peavey Ultra 112, and I really like it. It's got two distortion channels, reverb, and a built-in effects loop if you don't want to use the built-in effects. But, like I said, I'm not sure how similar they are.
If you want a Tubescreamer type pedal, Digitech Bad Monkey. £35-40 great pedal
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!