im a lefty, i want a guitar that i can use 5 years from know. i want a whammy on it. i need a amp and everything else i need for under $500
So humbuckers as opposed to single coils.
An amp with a drive channel or a nice OD.
An EPI SG would suit.
Is that budget for the amp and guitar?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Just to let you know, if you're brand new to playing guitar, I would really strongly recommend you play right-handed and not left. I know that might be a pain, but there are very, very few guitars out there for people who play left-handed (only like 1-2% of all guitars you can buy have left-handed versions). So you're severely limiting what guitars you can buy and play if you choose to play like that.

If you want to play black sabbath stuff, but you want a vibrato, I'd recommend an SG of some sorts, but SG's generally don't have vibrato bars. I wouldn't make it too much a priority to have one of those either because vibrato bars on cheap guitars ($300) are junk because they never stay in tune. Sticking with fixed bridge guitars for now will save you a lot of frustration.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 10, 2014,
^ I'm always wary of the cheaper Ibanez trems, having been burned before. I haven't tried the more recent ones, but yeah I'm wary of them.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Just to let you know, if you're brand new to playing guitar, I would really strongly recommend you play right-handed and not left.

I'd say it depends... if you're ambidextrous, then yeah, agreed. if you find it really hard and would rather play left-handed, I'd just learn left-handed. Not much point in having a wider choice of guitars if you can't half play them...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a used roland cube on guitarcenter's used section. Great beginning amp, eventually you'll need to upgrade but that's pretty much any beginners amp.
yeah or a peavey vypyr gets a good rep too for heavier stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I haven't got much experience with amps but Marshall MG isn't too bad IMO but if you can get a Roland cube for you budget definitely go for that. In terms of guitar I'd forget about a tremolo, at your price range anything with a trem is going to go out of tune in seconds. If you can live without a trem I'd go for an Epiphone G400 Pro. If you really cant live without one go for an Ibanez. But seriously don't get a trem, go Epiphone.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Just to let you know, if you're brand new to playing guitar, I would really strongly recommend you play right-handed and not left. I know that might be a pain, but there are very, very few guitars out there for people who play left-handed (only like 1-2% of all guitars you can buy have left-handed versions). So you're severely limiting what guitars you can buy and play if you choose to play like that.

If you want to play black sabbath stuff, but you want a vibrato, I'd recommend an SG of some sorts, but SG's generally don't have vibrato bars. I wouldn't make it too much a priority to have one of those either because vibrato bars on cheap guitars ($300) are junk because they never stay in tune. Sticking with fixed bridge guitars for now will save you a lot of frustration.

I'm a lefty and I think playing right handed is actually an advantage XD

I mean, you DO have to practice your picking hand more, but your fretting hand has the advantage of being more dexterous.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Epi SG + Cube sounds good for Sabbath,I had an old Cube in around 2006 and it had a half decent Marshall sound on it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you have never played before, listen to everyone here and learn to play right handed. I'm a lefty as well, but learned to play right handed. If you decide to learn to play left handed, you won't be able to play about 99% of guitars out there.

Another thing, if you don't absolutely have to have a trem, don't do it. In your price range, the trems are pretty much crap.

If you want a fairly inexpensive amp, another option is the Fender Mustang 1. With the built in effects and Fuse modeling software, you can get pretty much any tone you want.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Get a used Ibanez RG350DX from guitar center-$200-$300.
For an amp get a Marshall MG15CF.
Perfect practice makes perfect.