Is it generally most efficient to barre the lower fret while playing pentatonic runs that reverse upon themselves? for example

E--8-- 5----------5------------
B---------8---5------8---5----
G------------------------------7

Would you barre the 5th fret here to get the A? If this pattern continues all the way down the pentatonic, would you continue to bar the 5th fret to get all of the notes that end on it?

I'm working on Eric Johnson/Joe Bonamassa style descending pentatonic runs and I always seem to need to barre the lower fret--however, i feel like it sacrifices speed and fluidity of my playing.
i'd probably roll more than barre. similar idea, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably roll more than barre. similar idea, though.

rolling is flattening the finger to get the note below?
as far as ascending runs of similar fashion through the pentatonic. I personally lift the fingers slightly and ascend in coordination. But I have seen players roll and bar on the patterns/phrases. Me personally, like you said, tends to make your playing less fluid. I have had that problem. What I did is practice the phrases slowly lifting the fingers lightly. This helped me as I would gradually get the speed up to what it needed to be. hope this helps you.
Quote by RyanMW2010
rolling is flattening the finger to get the note below?

i think so. bit like when sweep picking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jaydozer
as far as ascending runs of similar fashion through the pentatonic. I personally lift the fingers slightly and ascend in coordination. But I have seen players roll and bar on the patterns/phrases. Me personally, like you said, tends to make your playing less fluid. I have had that problem. What I did is practice the phrases slowly lifting the fingers lightly. This helped me as I would gradually get the speed up to what it needed to be. hope this helps you.

Rolling doesn't slow you down if anything it makes you faster you just have to practice the technique.. It's much easier to just roll your finger and get to the next note on the bottom string instead of lifting your fingers off lol!
I personally wouldn't barre it, the idea of rolling it could work, but considering you're in a box position your hand should just naturally hover around there anyway so it's simple enough for you to just single out the notes, that'll stop them from ringing out where you don't want them
It really depends on what kind of sound are going for. Barring allows more of a flow from the two notes on the 5th fret, whereas not barring will be more staccato. Partial barring on the B and E strings in that position is useful for phrases where you want to let the notes ring out more. For some of the bluesy stuff it's a given. Watch a video of Stevie Ray Vaughan for an example of a player who uses that a lot.