So today I picked up a VK212 (first real tube amp; couldn't pass up the $150 price tag). Loving the versatility. I was wondering what I set the impedance switch to if I'm only using the amp (not plugging it in to any cabs), and where I should set the texture knob (no clue what the difference between class A and A/B is).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I was wondering what I set the impedance switch to if I'm only using the amp (not plugging it in to any cabs),
Leave it there.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
and where I should set the texture knob (no clue what the difference between class A and A/B is).
Short answer - leave it where it sounds best to you
Long answer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier#Power_amplifier_classes
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ pretty sure that A to A/B thing doesn't switch the class at all, that's marketing spiel.

yeah just leave it where it sounds best.

i looked up the valveking manual on the peavy site and it didn't say what the stock impedance of the speakers was in the 2x12

does it say on the speakers? or is there any little sticker or anything next to the impedance selector which says which setting to use if just using the stock speakers?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ pretty sure that A to A/B thing doesn't switch the class at all, that's marketing spiel.
Well there's a fairly simple way to test that, but we need your help TS.

Set your amp to class A, set the master volume to a level to which you can clearly hear the thing distorting your signal, and the turn the thing all the way to class A/B.
Now if the thing actually went from class A to class A/B you would experience:
1. a consistent raise in the amp's volume, with the distortion changing character and maybe becoming more noticeable, or
2. a drop in the distortion level - you'd hear something at the same volume, but cleaner

If it does one of the two it does go from A to A/B, if it does anything else it doesn't go anywhere.
Class-wise at least.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The stock VK speakers say 16 ohms. The switch goes between 4, 8, and 16.

I'll mess around with the texture knob a bit; I had it all the way to "Class A" it sounded good. I'll mess around with it just to make sure.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
^^ nah someone on another forum who knows what he's talking about says it's bollocks. that's good enough for me

^ it has two speakers, right? if so, set it to 8 ohms. If they're 16 ohms each they're going to be wired in parallel for 8 ohms, almost guaranteed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ nah someone on another forum who knows what he's talking about says it's bollocks. that's good enough for me

^ it has two speakers, right? if so, set it to 8 ohms. If they're 16 ohms each they're going to be wired in parallel for 8 ohms, almost guaranteed.

I mean, when you read Peavey's description of the texture knob, it sounds like a heaping load of bollocks . Did he happen to mention which one he sets it to? Not that it's a big deal, just wondering I guess.

But thanks on the speaker stuff, I have it set to 8 now.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 10, 2014,
You mean the texture knob? I don't think the guy owned one, he was an amp tech.

Just use your ears. I suppose the A/B setting might be closest to most "normal" amps, though I could be wrong on that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice. I sold my VK 212 on craigslist for $275 (after I bought it not working for $100 and fixed it ). Very versatile amps, especially for the price.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
For heavier music, you'll want it at A/B. I heard the wattage of the amp on class A drops to around 45watts but I never tried it out when I owned the amp, still it sounds better for super clean and heavily distorted sounds on the A/B setting.

I liked the Valveking, a lot. The Valveking thread has lall kinds of usefull tips and mods for the amp to really get it screaming.
Quote by Dave_Mc

WRONG!!!! Stock internal cabinets ohms is 16 keep it there
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Nice. I sold my VK 212 on craigslist for $275 (after I bought it not working for $100 and fixed it ). Very versatile amps, especially for the price.

Same here! Only I bought a 112 that just needed power tubes for $100 and sold it for $200 to a friend who still uses it as far as I know.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm 99% sure that stock valveking speakers are 16Ohm, like Maidenheadsteve said. So I would set it 8hm.
HNAD

Edit: Sorry, meant 16Ohm not 19
Last edited by tsc86 at May 13, 2014,
Quote by Nikolai-Paul
WRONG!!!! Stock internal cabinets ohms is 16 keep it there

Do you have anything to back that up? I looked in the manual and didn't find too much, but if each speaker in the 2x12 VK combo is 16 ohms as Maidenheadsteve says, then the total impedance is not going to be 16 ohms, it's either going to be 32 ohms (if wired in series) or 8 ohms (if wired in parallel). Most likely wired in parallel.

I guess they could have some other circuitry to change the impedance, but I doubt it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
6505 heads are made in america, so labour (and other regulations) cost a lot more. that's a big part of it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?