Page 1 of 2
Morals and morality are always something I've been big on. Over the years I've tried to take in what others have taught me either by doing the right thing or the wrong thing and then decide whether the act in question was either moral or immoral. As I am a frequent reader of the pit, I know there are a lot of sarcastic posts and what not but a large margin of you seem to have decent heads on your shoulders. Now, all of that being said, do you consider yourself a moral person? Do you consider the factor of what is fair for someone a variable to what is moral or immoral? Discuss and let the shit-storm begin!
My Gear:
Agile - 2000 W/ EMG 81/85
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Last edited by Rune Playaz at May 10, 2014,
Quote by Rune Playaz
Morals and morality are always something I've been big on.

I, too, enjoy arguing.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
i like oreo cookies they are both black and white

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by MinterMan22
i like oreo cookies they are both black and white

I like the ones that are golden and white
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at May 10, 2014,
ahhh... I debated subjective morality in debate class in high school.

What a waste of time

All you need to do is BS your way to districts. And that's what I did
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at May 10, 2014,
Not for the arguing. Having morals, is something you do for yourself and others. Golden rule kind of stuff. As for the latter question I posted, it seems as though nothing is black and white and with that comes new dimensions of morals.
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by angusfan16
I like the ones that are golden and white

you have something against black my friend?

Quote by k.lainad
ahhh... I debated subjective morality in debate class in high school.

What a waste of time

All you need to do is BS your way to districts. And that's what I did

I agree to a degree but there has to be a point where everyone agrees? Right?
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by Rune Playaz
Not for the arguing. Having morals, is something you do for yourself and others. Golden rule kind of stuff. As for the latter question I posted, it seems as though nothing is black and white and with that comes new dimensions of morals.

Well no shit.
People are moral with respect to their own sense of morality so I'm not clear on what you want to talk about.

edit:
Quote by Jackal58

I just want to let you know I get it.
Last edited by MakinLattes at May 10, 2014,
Quote by MakinLattes
People are moral with respect to their own sense of morality so I'm not clear on what you want to talk about.

this
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by MakinLattes

Fair statement, I can only blame alcohol.

Ok, i suppose an example question is in store:

Say there is a person in a bad situation where they are in an abusive relationship. One that would not be easy to get out of. One day they met someone who would be good to them. Would you say it to be immoral if they 'cheated' (emotionally) before leave their partner?
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by Rune Playaz
I agree to a degree but there has to be a point where everyone agrees? Right?

Depends on the case. I wrote Pro and Con cases, and every Pro case I argued against, the other person was almost ALWAYS like, "Well, killing is bad, so killing is immoral hurr derr". And at the same time, people I argued against with Con cases were like, "morality is subjective, so killing can be good based on perception hurr hurrr hurrr".

It really is black and white when it comes to competition/for the sake of argument. But in society, sure the gray areas really do exist .
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

I have my own morals.
So in answer to your question, probably not.

In fact, going by what I would guess a general selection of the public would think of my opinions, I would say definitely not a moral person.
Quote by Rune Playaz
Fair statement, I can only blame alcohol.

Ok, i suppose an example question is in store:

Say there is a person in a bad situation where they are in an abusive relationship. One that would not be easy to get out of. One day they met someone who would be good to them. Would you say it to be immoral if they 'cheated' (emotionally) before leave their partner?

no.
Quote by k.lainad
Depends on the case. I wrote Pro and Con cases, and every Pro case I argued against, the other person was almost ALWAYS like, "Well, killing is bad, so killing is immoral hurr derr". And at the same time, people I argued against with Con cases were like, "morality is subjective, so killing can be good based on perception hurr hurrr hurrr".

It really is black and white when it comes to competition/for the sake of argument. But in society, sure the gray areas really do exist .

Would you agree that the subjection of morality to some degree be affected by desensitization or lack of empathy?
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by Rune Playaz
Would you agree that the subjection of morality to some degree be affected by desensitization or lack of empathy?

yes.
but TS whiye though
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Dregen, to the reply of "no", though I agree, why?

Baby Joel, why not? The direction avoidance of any issue is the inflammation that causes a disaster.
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
TS, read the thread title.

I'm emotionally cheating on BJ for letting you in on your spelling mistake.
Quote by Rune Playaz

This is cheating in a yes or no question.
Quote by Rune Playaz
Dregen, to the reply of "no", though I agree, why?

kinda hard to leave someone if they're beating the hell out of you and may potentially do worse after you leave them. could you blame them for wanting some sort of emotional support?
MakinLattes, I saw but I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. Damn it!!!! Doh!!

Metal4eva_22, I meant that they are probably not the only things to affect morality. But to clarify, would you say that desensitization and lack of empathy affect morality.
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by Dregen
kinda hard to leave someone if they're beating the hell out of you and may potentially do worse after you leave them. could you blame them for wanting some sort of emotional support?

Absolutely not. Just that some 'hardcore' people would say that cheating is cheating and it's not right in any scenario. Like I said, I agree with you whole heartedly.
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by Rune Playaz

No. I think they would need to develop a bit of emotional connection with the new person, in order to realize they should leave their shitty partner.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No. I think they would need to develop a bit of emotional connection with the new person, in order to realize they should leave their shitty partner.

Plus they might have a spare .357 laying around.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
What are some of your 'gray area' morals? (Anyone)
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by Rune Playaz
What are some of your 'gray area' morals? (Anyone)

You come home from school early and catch your sister banging your father. Should you join in or wait for your mother?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
You come home from school early and catch your sister banging your father. Should you join in or wait for your mother?

Quit screwing with TS. Unless he likes it, that is...

Quote by Jackal58

What if, as would quite often be the case in these situations, your sister is your mother?
Still join?
Quote by Rune Playaz

perhaps... on a good day, when the weather is exactly 72 degrees and my sun dial is exactly aligned to noon. Then maybe, just maybe...

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by SkepsisMetal
What if, as would quite often be the case in these situations, your sister is your mother?
Still join?

what if TS is your dad?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

"Grey" areas only exist when something isn't exhaustively defined, and can be put up to interpretation. So yeah, morality is "grey".

Doubt any thorough, clear, and concise "definition" or use of morality will ever be made. Just approximations based on context that makes people happy and not make the world collapse.

"Killing is immoral"
"Well, it is immoral in this case, unless you kill someone attempting to kill your daughter, in which case it is moral"
"Well, it is moral in this case, unless the person trying to kill your daughter is doing so because she is infected with a lethal zombie virus and will infect everybody and destroy humanity if he doesn't stop it, in which case it's immoral to kill this dude since he's helping mankind"
"Well, it is immoral in this case, unless there is the possibility and frame of time to find a cure for your daughter that can not only save mankind, but also save her, in which case that dude is needlessly murdering her so you are good in killing him"
"Well, it is moral in this case, unless there is actually no cure, and you risk mankind by stopping that man's attempts to kill your daughter, where she may escape and infect other people."
"Well, it is immoral in this case...."

So basically, with morality you have:
-An apparent false dichotomy
(something it's either "moral" or "immoral", and nothing else)

-Very loose definitions of what this morality is applied to
(is it applied only to actions? Which ones? Can you determine these 100% every time? Do intentions come into consideration or not? What else? Does the context come into consideration too? How much of it? Should the entire configuration of the universe and reality be the determinant of the morality of "something", or can you reduce the scope of what you are analyzing? To what extent?).

These 2 are kind of big problems imo

Though I'm not exactly sure which one of these 2 people refer to "grey" when they talk about this stuff (could be either)

EDIT: Though the 2nd problem is a problem with other stuff as well, not just inherent to morality. For example, what is an "action" exactly?.
Pressing a button is an action, and you wouldn't say it's immoral
But if that button is the one that launches a nuke to China, then pushing it would be immoral. Is this the same action, or a different one?
If it's the same, why does its morality change depending on the "perspective" you look at it (and how do you determine which "perspective" is the correct one to analyze its morality)? If it's different, then how do you define actions so trying to attribute morality to them doesn't become futile?

Quote by Rune Playaz

My socks are black and white
Last edited by gonzaw at May 11, 2014,
i shitpost on the internet what you think playa
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
so i just had a major moral dilemma.

turn off the the emergency lights to a tractor because they'd be on all night, when i have no idea where they are because i don't drive them?

or

not get to town before the gas station closes because it will in 10 minutes and i'm 10 minutes away from town and desperately need a pack of cigarettes?
Quote by MakinLattes
TS, read the thread title.

I'm emotionally cheating on BJ for letting you in on your spelling mistake.

but y tho
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
You are from 2004. Hello old man.

And yes, I consider myself a moral person because I have defined values that I uphold. Or, at least, try very hard to.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Page 1 of 2