Hello,
is it better to apply the guitar effects I want on a stompbox (eventide h9 for example) and then record it with a mic or is it better to record the amp without the effects and apply them later in the mix with a DAW and plugins?
Thanks
It's going to sound different depending on what you do so it really depends. In general, I would apply effects other than drives in the DAW, but there's some things you can't do without putting them before the amp.
Just remember - any effect you record wet cannot be removed later on. For that very reason, most recording engineers choose to record a dry signal, then alter it later. Of course, most recording studios and post production facilities have the ability to re-amp a signal and add other effects to it after the fact. You may not have that luxury.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at May 11, 2014,
Horses for courses.

Personally I always mic my amp & record that, but I have the sound I want from my amp and only use effects like delays & modulations sparingly during certain sections of certain songs, so I know my effects are set up for how I need them before I start. The only effects I add in with my DAW are during the final mixdown process & added to the whole song, not individual tracks (with the exception of vocals obviously).

If you want more freedom for experimentation, as said above if you record dry & add effects afterwards, you can try more stuff on a single recording.

The final answer depends on your personal setup & ambitions.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I recon there is no incorrect way.
Personally i liked recording the guitarists chain as it is and make that sit well in the mix.
The only reason is because i'm not a big fan of being able to do hundreds of different things to a dry signal.
Just do what sounds best.

I know that sounds cheesy, but if your effects on the eventide just "hit it on the right spot" then use that.

In the end it's the final recording that matters.

Digital FX are potentially always better on a computer though, especially reverbs with complex algorithms, due to the computer being able to handle much more complex calculations in most instances.

There are off course just as many digital fx on the computer that are not complex and lack depth due to basic coding.

There's also the fact that the FX in an FX loop will act differently then after the cab in the DAW. You won't run into typical clashing delay/reverb overlap problems, but it's different in coloration.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at May 12, 2014,