I really want to learn to be able to play Rhythm and lead and I'm wondering how long it takes to be decent enough to be playing stuff like sultans of swing on guitar as that's where I want to be at. At the moment I'm just starting out on acoustic and am getting an electric in a few weeks to learn barre chords and lead.

Also where is the best place to start technique wise to get into dire straits stuff.
It all honestly depends on what you learning style is, how quickly you can learn and how dedicated you can be to practicing a lot every day.

If you want some guidance find a guitar teacher who is fluent in blues. Take lessons, practice the crap out of it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Noone can answer this question. There are way way too many factors to take in to consideration
It depends on how much you practice and how perfect your practice is.

If it helps, the first song Slash ever learned was Sultans of Swing, and he learned the whole thing by ear, before there was tabs or youtube to help. So your goal is very possible.
Quote by hansome21
It depends on how much you practice and how perfect your practice is.

If it helps, the first song Slash ever learned was Sultans of Swing, and he learned the whole thing by ear, before there was tabs or youtube to help. So your goal is very possible.

This. It's all about commitment, dedication, and consistency my friend.
Quote by EyeballPaul
You need to embrace the journey to reach the destination

That's one of the best things I've ever heard.

It's the truth!
Quote by Hardlycore
That's one of the best things I've ever heard.

It's the truth!

Why thank you.I just made it up,My head is full of crap.lol
Quote by EyeballPaul
Why thank you.I just made it up,My head is full of crap.lol

Hahah even better. It's true though, everyone wants results but no one wants to make the journey.
Quote by EyeballPaul
You need to embrace the journey to reach the destination

I was in a kind of pretentious garden centre (also had some stuff for the home as well) there a while back and they had a picture saying "life's not a journey, it's a destination".

I wanted to punch the picture so hard
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?