Firstly, I apologise if I am posting in the wrong section!

I've had a few google searches on the subject but I'm still pretty confused about this.

My band want the drummer to play to a click track live as we have some samples/ synth parts in our songs. I understand that when creating the backing track, the click is panned to one side and sent to the drummer while the actual backing track is panned to the other side and sent to the front of house.

What I don't understand, is when the track is coming from an iPod, how does it get plugged into the PA and what does the drummers headphones get plugged into? I know the sound engineer at gigs would obviously set this up, but I'm more asking how to do this for use in the practice rooms when we set everything up ourselves.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Cheers
you can split the signal into two mono feeds with an adapter. you would set this up on your own, plug the y adapter in, then the drummer would plug the headphones in, and you would DI the other side (they would set that up). But you can also set it into a bass amp (We have a bass player that cant do every show, so we track him too) and then DI through the bass (our bass head for example). SOlid set up, and we all us IEM for a click/monitor mix. We are moving to using all of our own stuff, where we can plug that into the house system, have our mix all set up, and nice and happy.

We also need to use this set up for this tour we are doing throught areas without PA systems, but pay great! haha
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
^+1

you split the signal with a Y cable.

the particulars get convoluted, the above way is one way of doing it, there are others.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Most half-decent sound guys (even in rehearsal rooms) can do that kind of split within the PA without you needing any sort of adapter - the drummer gets everything (including click) in his monitor and samples go through the PA...

We've discovered is that using a small USB soundcard and a laptop is a relatively cheap solution to avoid all that - you get a soundcard that has 2 mono-out (or more) channels and a headphones jack, and then the drummer plugs headphones in there and the PA only gets the samples channel...
Wow, thought you were the other guitarist in my band for a second, we're in the process of setting this up right now
Israel is a terrorist state.
Quote by Omnius
Most half-decent sound guys (even in rehearsal rooms) can do that kind of split within the PA without you needing any sort of adapter - the drummer gets everything (including click) in his monitor and samples go through the PA...

We've discovered is that using a small USB soundcard and a laptop is a relatively cheap solution to avoid all that - you get a soundcard that has 2 mono-out (or more) channels and a headphones jack, and then the drummer plugs headphones in there and the PA only gets the samples channel...

Not every drummer wants everything in the mix. my drummer just wants a click for right now.

Does the drummer want to control everything? (I see this a LOT).

Also having the soundguy control the mix and everything doesn't really help if he just has normal headphones plugged into the ipod. That is of course, if you are taking the first route, and not the second.

We actually have it leaving a Mac, and then into a small mixing board. This is because we have a lot of things in our tracks. That then gets sent to our bass amp, then that gets sent out to the house pa. It is easier that way because we want some sound onstage (no matter what), we don't always have a house pa (certain festivals and park shows, among other things) and it is easier to set it up, then plug it in once, every time. There are so many ways to do it too. It's great that we are getting a big pool of info for you. That next level is a doozy!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
The drummer will be controlling everything

So the easiest way it to plug the iPod into a Y cable, and plug that into the PA and send both sides to the drummer, and the click side to the the monitors?

Sorry if I'm being stupid here haha!
Quote by spongejack
The drummer will be controlling everything

So the easiest way it to plug the iPod into a Y cable, and plug that into the PA and send both sides to the drummer, and the click side to the the monitors?

Sorry if I'm being stupid here haha!

Other way around - both to the drummer and sample side to the monitors
Quote by Omnius
Other way around - both to the drummer and sample side to the monitors

That's what I meant to say, oops!