I have had a plan which I pretty much set in stone for gear I wanted but before I really sort out how to get it all, is there anything that I'm missing out or that I could consider.

I've just bought a Laney VC30-210 which I'm picking up on Tuesday and I cannot f*****g wait for. My current amp is a Orange CR35LDX which I DO rate for a SS Modeler however I love all the tube amps that I've played on and the Laney should do exactly what I need it for (read below).

My guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica 112V which I've modded with a DiMarzio Tone Zone which is pretty high output (I think) and adds a lot of clarity when I'm using drive of some kind. I'm gonna go and try out a couple of guitars at some store but I'm quite sure that I want a Fender Tele, likely a MIM. Is there an issue with my current guitar or will it suffice until around Christmas when I can get family to chip in for a Tele?

...And I just made a new pedalboard which I want to keep relatively simple as I'm gonna be doing vocals for a band so I don't want to overcomplicate things. The order is generally EVH Crybaby (Used for one song with the delay, and if I want to spice up some solos), Big Muff (rhythm distortion), Boss DS-2 (Lead sounds, Mode 2 with Dist. on 3/4.) and then a FAB chorus because I don't need an expensive chorus as it isn't used an awful lot, into a Dr. Tone analog delay (again, not used too much but that mind change as I'll stick it in the FX loop of my new amp when I get to play it.) I have a Zoom G5 as well and a couple of other pedals that I have no interest in using for this board but they'll likely make it to another board I'm working on.

I tend to go for mid-priced pedals as I don't have to spend a ton yet I don't compromise too much on quality. Yes, I like Boss stuff as I know it ain't gonna break within a week.

I want to add a Stereo Pulsar and a Small Stone Nano to the board when I have some left over money. I also need a tuner so I'll go cheap with the Snark SN10.

So In conclusion (and some stuff i haven't mentioned)

Location- UK

Budget- Whatever it needs to be to get the right equipment. If it means I can get it cheap then great but I'm happy to save for expensive stuff if it's what I need- like what I did to get the Laney- I could've cheaped out for a Micro Terror or something.

Style- Indie. I play a lot of Arctic Monkeys, Pixies, Black Keys etc. and some also a lot of RHCP and whilst some of these bands don't have the most interesting tone, they do have good clean tones and some heavier fuzz sounds involved and that's what I'm aiming for. I'm getting a band together which has 3/4 members (we need a decent drummer) and I want to get to a gigging level really so we can play small pubs or whatever. I also am working on some original stuff which is indie but also I play psychedelic rock elements in it- think Tame Impala, MGMT.

So basically, I want some reassurance that I'm doing the right stuff. I've actually only been playing a year or so, after previously playing drums for around 6 years so I'm very good at timing and I also tend to pick up strumming patterns without help and can learn stuff by ear. I also have keys experience and I'm at a decent level for what I play.- I'd say on par with some of my friends who have played a lot longer and I can keep up with some very experienced players whilst jamming (by this I mean changes in the tempo and whatever...).

Am I missing anything, do I need to get anything else or factor in something that I haven't thought of, need to get a pedal that I don't have etc.?

Many thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
The drummer is the most important thing you need. Get a decent one and get a tight band together. You'll need to practice for months, even longer because you're still a beginner. Even the simplest of songs require a lot of skill and experience that you don't have yet. Equipment shouldn't be your number one concern at all, but if you truly have no budget like you say, buy what you think sounds best, but make sure you do a lot of proper research into every aspect of your setup. The tele is an excellent guitar, but you don't need one at this point. Before you even think about playing a gig, you need to have a full band, and practice all of your songs until you can't stand listening to them anymore - I'm not exaggerating. You will absolutely loathe your own songs before they're tight enough to play in front of people.
Israel is a terrorist state.
Quote by JD Close
The drummer is the most important thing you need. Get a decent one and get a tight band together. You'll need to practice for months, even longer because you're still a beginner. Even the simplest of songs require a lot of skill and experience that you don't have yet. Equipment shouldn't be your number one concern at all, but if you truly have no budget like you say, buy what you think sounds best, but make sure you do a lot of proper research into every aspect of your setup. The tele is an excellent guitar, but you don't need one at this point. Before you even think about playing a gig, you need to have a full band, and practice all of your songs until you can't stand listening to them anymore - I'm not exaggerating. You will absolutely loathe your own songs before they're tight enough to play in front of people.

+1, very good advice and relevant warning.

I have a yamaha pacifica, its not a bad guitar at all.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by JD Close

Thanks a lot,

I will take this advice on boars but I should add that guitar is basically my only hobby and I don't spend money on anything else so what I meant by my budget was that I'm happy to buy the right things (however I'm not about to go and get an Axe FX2) but I did just spend ALL my money on an amp.

Also, I play my guitar for over 2 1/2 hours every single day after school and I could pretty much play a whole set of indie covers if asked.

'tele is an excellent guitar, but you don't need one at this point.'

-I respectfully disagree with you there. Sure, we don't have a drummer yet (that's mainly because there just isn't one around in our age range) but surely I can get my tone perfect and do everything I can to make my playing and sound good? A Tele is apparantly great with my amp and for Indie so I think it's reasonable for me to buy one when I can unless there are more reasons why it's a bad idea?

Thanks for the tips.

yeah tone zone is hot and dark. a lot of shredders use it, but your guitar also has two single coils in there which you can use for indier stuff (plus if you turn your gain or guitar volume down a bit the tone zone should be fine since its dark sound makes it sound a bit less modern than a lot of really hot pickups)

i don't see any massive problems with what you're getting there. only things i'd say are, an od pedal might be useful (boss sd1 or digitech bad monkey, maybe digitech screamin blues or ehx soul food if you want more transparency), i'm not familiar with tame impala but a more vintage-style fuzz might be useful for that, and ehx does the worm which has trem and phaser in one (but i haven't tried it so it might not be as good as those separate pedals- plus if you need both on at once it won't work).

teles are used a lot in indie, yeah. would be worth considering. i'd keep the pacifica too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want a Tele, get a G&L ASAT. I have the Tribute ASAT Deluxe

I agree, getting to be a good gigging band takes time. I've been playing live since 2001 and I consider myself a good guitarist. every band I have been in takes 8-9 months till we play out. My first band we jumped in to it in 3-4 months, but we were really sloppy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a FAB chorus and yes, it does sound pretty good. However, I pulled it apart and was greeted with something that looked like the old Mousetrap game. I gig pretty heavily and didn't like what I was looking at so I went straight out and found something a bit more durable, actually an old MIJ Boss CE-2.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah tone zone is hot and dark. a lot of shredders use it, but your guitar also has two single coils in there which you can use for indier stuff (plus if you turn your gain or guitar volume down a bit the tone zone should be fine since its dark sound makes it sound a bit less modern than a lot of really hot pickups)

i don't see any massive problems with what you're getting there. only things i'd say are, an od pedal might be useful (boss sd1 or digitech bad monkey, maybe digitech screamin blues or ehx soul food if you want more transparency), i'm not familiar with tame impala but a more vintage-style fuzz might be useful for that, and ehx does the worm which has trem and phaser in one (but i haven't tried it so it might not be as good as those separate pedals- plus if you need both on at once it won't work).

teles are used a lot in indie, yeah. would be worth considering. i'd keep the pacifica too

Thanks again for the helpful comments,

Yeah, despite the Tone Zone being hot and dark like you say, it seems to just add clarity with distortion if you play a bit brighter and also with your guitar tone on 10 and volume around 6 with amp volume higher. My uncle recommended it to me without really asking what sort of stuff I liked playing but I tried it first and I liked it so that's what I went for.

I'm gonna test out my Laney's Drive channel before I look into an OD. I heard it's not mega gainy so it may work well for what I want or it might not quite be enough, we'll see.

Quote by Robbgnarly
If you want a Tele, get a G&L ASAT. I have the Tribute ASAT Deluxe

I agree, getting to be a good gigging band takes time. I've been playing live since 2001 and I consider myself a good guitarist. every band I have been in takes 8-9 months till we play out. My first band we jumped in to it in 3-4 months, but we were really sloppy.

I'd be worried about buying that one before trying the neck out...

I'm not a big maple neck fan and that's the biggest concern regarding me buying a tele so I need to try absolutely as many as I can although I want to keep it relatively cheap with a MIM standard or a Baja, however the MP seems to be a bit too heavy for me. I want single coils, and then I can use the Pacifica for anything that needs a humbucker.

And yeah, I fully expect to have to practice a ton before anything actually happens. But I'm a believer in being as prepared as I can be so when we do get a drummer, I'll have my tone and settings nailed and ready to go and that should make things a tiny bit easier in terms of sound.

I have a FAB chorus and yes, it does sound pretty good. However, I pulled it apart and was greeted with something that looked like the old Mousetrap game. I gig pretty heavily and didn't like what I was looking at so I went straight out and found something a bit more durable, actually an old MIJ Boss CE-2.

Yeah I got it for like £15 and I don't really stick it on other than for occasionally brightening up a clean section so I didn't want to spend like £70 on a Boss if I didn't really use it

What don't you like about a Maple neck?

The G&L Tribute series also uses the same hardware and pickups as the USA made G&L's.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ G&Ls are very nice, but they're pretty dear in the UK unfortunately.

Japanese-made Tokais might be worth a look? They're normally around the ~£400-£600 mark. But if you can only see them closer to £600 you have a lot more options... stupid strong yen.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Thanks again for the helpful comments,

Yeah, despite the Tone Zone being hot and dark like you say, it seems to just add clarity with distortion if you play a bit brighter and also with your guitar tone on 10 and volume around 6 with amp volume higher. My uncle recommended it to me without really asking what sort of stuff I liked playing but I tried it first and I liked it so that's what I went for.

I'm gonna test out my Laney's Drive channel before I look into an OD. I heard it's not mega gainy so it may work well for what I want or it might not quite be enough, we'll see.

Yeah OD pedals are pretty handy for most people (they give you more options), but at the same time if the laney drive channel gives you exactly what you want, there's no point in wasting your money either.

I asked on another forum about that EHX worm and was told it was garbage, so probably avoid it. What I was told killed my GAS for one, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 12, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ G&Ls are very nice, but they're pretty dear in the UK unfortunately.

Japanese-made Tokais might be worth a look? They're normally around the ~£400-£600 mark. But if you can only see them closer to £600 you have a lot more options... stupid strong yen.

Yeah OD pedals are pretty handy for most people (they give you more options), but at the same time if the laney drive channel gives you exactly what you want, there's no point in wasting your money either.

I asked on another forum about that EHX worm and was told it was garbage, so probably avoid it. What I was told killed my GAS for one, anyway.

TBH, I just want a Fender. Classic Tele, nothing too special yet a great guitar.

And yeah, I basically want the Pulsar and Small Stone for use with each other so the Worm wouldn't have worked anyway.

No worries.

And yeah the MIM classic series is pretty nice. I doubt you'll go too far wrong with it. EDIT: maybe that's not what you meant
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
No worries.

And yeah the MIM classic series is pretty nice. I doubt you'll go too far wrong with it. EDIT: maybe that's not what you meant

Yeah, the MIM Standard is probably what I'll end up with.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
TBH, I just want a Fender.

It appears to me that you're disregarding every bit of advice we've given you. You're not experienced enough to justify the kind of investments you're looking at, and you don't have a drummer. I noticed you mentioned no drummers in your age range, so I'll tell you not to worry about that. Ages of members only matter when you're going for an image, and that only matters if you're looking to get famous. At this point, you're a long way away of having even a miniscule chance of YouTube fame, so I'd stop worrying about it. Find someone that fits well and knows how to play. And do be so god damn stubborn, that's a really easy way to burn bridges and ensure you don't succeed.
Quote by JD Close
It appears to me that you're disregarding every bit of advice we've given you. You're not experienced enough to justify the kind of investments you're looking at, and you don't have a drummer. I noticed you mentioned no drummers in your age range, so I'll tell you not to worry about that. Ages of members only matter when you're going for an image, and that only matters if you're looking to get famous. At this point, you're a long way away of having even a miniscule chance of YouTube fame, so I'd stop worrying about it. Find someone that fits well and knows how to play. And do be so god damn stubborn, that's a really easy way to burn bridges and ensure you don't succeed.

It would appear to you wrong then. In my OP, I mentioned that I wanted a Fender Tele anyway- this is due to their reliability, usage in the genre I want to play and their feel which I have like on the ones that I have played.

How about you don't be so patronizing? I've been grateful to the advice that I was given and have taken on board what people have said even if it wasn't quite relevant and even though you may have more experience than me, does that mean you, a random guy off of the internet, knows what works for me? I don't think so.

And lastly, I think that it does matter what age of drummer you have when you're 14.

Thanks to all the other help that I did get, I'll be sure to check out some OD pedals and the G&Ls if I can.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Yeah, the MIM Standard is probably what I'll end up with.

See how much extra the classic series is- nicer pickups etc. They might be a fair bit more, and if so, no worries- you can always swap the pickups in the MIM standard, just stock they have ceramic pickups which aren't amazing.

If you just want a fender that's your prerogative, but i've seen some good deals on fretkings recently too (the blue labels which are the korean-made ones with japanese gotoh hardware)- you can often pick one up new (or new old stock) for around the £300 mark. If you can find one to try it might be worth considering, since that'd be a bit less than an MIM standard (and i'd say out of the box it's arguably a nicer guitar).

It is up to you, though. If you won't be happy unless it says fender on it then get a fender. We don't have to live with your decision, you do. Just giving you some options to try out when you're at it, so you have as much info at your disposal as possible so you can make an informed decision.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Pacifica Ocean

Just a quick comment on this - I have that same amp, and the drive channel with the gain set to about 7 is about as heavy as my Jet City's Crunch channel (the cleaner of the two channels) set to about 2. For heaviness, that maybe equates to about ACDC levels of gain.

Obviously it depends what you're looking for, I use my Laney's clean channel with pedals for the level of gain I want, then use the drive channel as a solo boost.

In the longer term, I'd also recommend getting the 1X12 extension cab that matches your combo. The addition of the 12" speaker to your setup makes an excellent addition to it's tone.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ The 2x10 might sound full enough on its own, maybe? Not sure, I think I only tried the 1x12 version. EDIT: ah you have the 2x10 version- deferred.

Other thing is, I think the 2x10 has jensen speakers? Depending on the type of tone you want, they might be great or not exactly what you're after. More american-souding, really, I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a tele copy made by a company called AXL. Alder body, stock alnico pups, rock maple neck with a really nice rosewood fretboard. It compares favorably to a mim tele at half the cost because it doesn't have the name fender on it. Though the value of a name is in resale value. Definitely check 'em out if you're not set on Fender specifically.

Hows the new amp?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I have a tele copy made by a company called AXL. Alder body, stock alnico pups, rock maple neck with a really nice rosewood fretboard. It compares favorably to a mim tele at half the cost because it doesn't have the name fender on it. Though the value of a name is in resale value. Definitely check 'em out if you're not set on Fender specifically.

Hows the new amp?

I'm picking it up tomorrow but won't have chance to play it till Friday... but I'm very excited!

Thanks for asking.

Ages of members only matter when you're going for an image, and that only matters if you're looking to get famous.

I'd say it mostly doesn't matter at all.

Lots of bands have members of varying ages. Andy Summers was 9 years senior to the other guys in The Police. Mick Mars was a decade older than everybody in Motley Crüe except Nikky Sixx...whom he was only 7 years older than.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
It would appear to you wrong then. In my OP, I mentioned that I wanted a Fender Tele anyway- this is due to their reliability, usage in the genre I want to play and their feel which I have like on the ones that I have played.

How about you don't be so patronizing? I've been grateful to the advice that I was given and have taken on board what people have said even if it wasn't quite relevant and even though you may have more experience than me, does that mean you, a random guy off of the internet, knows what works for me? I don't think so.

And lastly, I think that it does matter what age of drummer you have when you're 14.

Thanks to all the other help that I did get, I'll be sure to check out some OD pedals and the G&Ls if I can.

Sorry if that came off patronizing, that wasn't the intent in the slightest. I wrote it on a phone, and didn't get the opportunity to read it back as a whole. I'm attempting to look at things from a realistic point of view, and from that point of view, I would say that spending a tonne of money isn't your best bet.

Allow me to tell you all the things I wish I could tell 14 year old me. What's going to improve your sound most at this point isn't new equipment, it's more experience. Get out and play with friends as much as you can, learn as many songs and techniques as you can, especially ones out of your comfort zone or preferred genre, and meet as many fellow musicians as you can. If you do plan on forming a band, the most important thing is that you get along with the people, and that they have the same drive for success that you do. My personal pet peeve is band members that are routinely late, even for important events.

All that being said, those are some very good choices for equipment in your style, but there are way cheaper ways to get sounds that are just as good. Another thing you might not be considering is how much your personal taste will change the more you play music. The first five years of my playing, my taste changed dramatically every six months or so. If I had bought the equipment I wanted then, I wouldn't be happy with it at all now.

On that last note, when I was 14 I was playing with guys in their 30's, and it actually looks quite good for your image. People like to see young guys playing well and getting out there, as long as they sound good. Don't worry about age.

Finally, and this is off topic, learn to sing. Being a guitar player that can sing opens a lot of doors for you to play in bands (but being a bass player that sings basically puts you in any band you want where I'm from). I got stuck with it, and after a few years was alright at it, and that helped out a lot in getting out and playing. It will totally suck at first, but it's worth it. Learn as much theory as you can, it will not hinder creativity at all. Go to your local concerts if you can, and support the scene. After all, you are going to want them to support you in the future.
Quote by JD Close
Sorry if that came off patronizing, that wasn't the intent in the slightest. I wrote it on a phone, and didn't get the opportunity to read it back as a whole. I'm attempting to look at things from a realistic point of view, and from that point of view, I would say that spending a tonne of money isn't your best bet.

Allow me to tell you all the things I wish I could tell 14 year old me. What's going to improve your sound most at this point isn't new equipment, it's more experience. Get out and play with friends as much as you can, learn as many songs and techniques as you can, especially ones out of your comfort zone or preferred genre, and meet as many fellow musicians as you can. If you do plan on forming a band, the most important thing is that you get along with the people, and that they have the same drive for success that you do. My personal pet peeve is band members that are routinely late, even for important events.

All that being said, those are some very good choices for equipment in your style, but there are way cheaper ways to get sounds that are just as good. Another thing you might not be considering is how much your personal taste will change the more you play music. The first five years of my playing, my taste changed dramatically every six months or so. If I had bought the equipment I wanted then, I wouldn't be happy with it at all now.

On that last note, when I was 14 I was playing with guys in their 30's, and it actually looks quite good for your image. People like to see young guys playing well and getting out there, as long as they sound good. Don't worry about age.

Finally, and this is off topic, learn to sing. Being a guitar player that can sing opens a lot of doors for you to play in bands (but being a bass player that sings basically puts you in any band you want where I'm from). I got stuck with it, and after a few years was alright at it, and that helped out a lot in getting out and playing. It will totally suck at first, but it's worth it. Learn as much theory as you can, it will not hinder creativity at all. Go to your local concerts if you can, and support the scene. After all, you are going to want them to support you in the future.

all good advice. so was his other above. that you considered 'patronizing' or whatever. when people give advice at least be open to it, think about it. then do whatever. i know he just doesn't like typing to waste his time, he is trying to help. sometimes you may not want to hear something doesn't mean that it isn't helpful.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Pacifica Ocean

quit being bitchy and whiney. if you are like this in real life nobody is going to want to deal with you.

also, don't buy a MIM without trying it first. i literally went through a dozen of more MIM strats and teles before i found the strat i liked which is a 1995 white on wite MIM strat. best MIM i have played.

two weeks ago i got a 2011 USA STD and a 1996ish American Deluxe Plus.they are great guitars.

MIM's can be too. get your hands on it first.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)

Rock history is full of good & great players- especially guitarists- who got their starts playing with veterans: Joe Bonamassa, Zakk Wylde, Shawn Lane, etc.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ The 2x10 might sound full enough on its own, maybe? Not sure, I think I only tried the 1x12 version. EDIT: ah you have the 2x10 version- deferred.

Other thing is, I think the 2x10 has jensen speakers? Depending on the type of tone you want, they might be great or not exactly what you're after. More american-souding, really, I think.

Yeah, the speakers in the amp itself are Jensens - obviously specific voicing is down to personal preference if you wanted to change them. They sound pretty good on their own, but 10" speakers are always slightly lacking in bass. Adding the 1X12 extension cab (which says it's a Celestion, haven't looked any further into exactly what's in there) fills it out nicely.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd say it mostly doesn't matter at all.

Lots of bands have members of varying ages. Andy Summers was 9 years senior to the other guys in The Police. Mick Mars was a decade older than everybody in Motley Crüe except Nikky Sixx...whom he was only 7 years older than.

Yep my prog band has 2 guys that are 40, I'm 35, bassist is 32 and the drummer is 26

As long as it works age doesn't matter
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There is one thing that should buy. It's a small thing but it will help immensely - an angled amp stand. Trust me, unless you're gonna be sitting the VC30 on a 4x12 or something, you need a stand. They don't cost a lot, buy one.

Edit: I was in a band until fairly recently where the ages spanned 17 to 50 with pretty much each decade between. That was too much. Not just the generation gap thing, the experience/attitude gap as well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 13, 2014,
I was in a band until fairly recently where the ages spanned 17 to 50 with pretty much each decade between. That was too much. Not just the generation gap thing, the experience/attitude gap as well.

I think that has to do more with the individual players than anything else- Joe Bonamassa was 15 when a 67 year old BB King brought him up on stage- but on average, you're probably right that most teens don't have the maturity to play with their elders.

Or were you saying the old guys were being dicks?

My band doesn't quite go so far as some mentioned, but we range from 33 up to 59 and it seems to work. Don't really think age comes into it, if you're good enough you're old enough.

The only time it could be a problem is if you're trying to get gigs at venues where one of the band isn't old enough to be allowed in.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The only time it could be a problem is if you're trying to get gigs at venues where one of the band isn't old enough to be allowed in.

I looked into this extensively when I was a young'un, but I don't know the laws where you are. In Canada, an entertainer can be any age as long as they don't drink and maintain clothed the entire time. We even had the police station print is copies of the legal documents that we would show bars whenever they had an issue.
Quote by GaryBillington
Yeah, the speakers in the amp itself are Jensens - obviously specific voicing is down to personal preference if you wanted to change them. They sound pretty good on their own, but 10" speakers are always slightly lacking in bass. Adding the 1X12 extension cab (which says it's a Celestion, haven't looked any further into exactly what's in there) fills it out nicely.

yeah

I think it's a 70/80? that could probably benefit from a swap (though I always say that, I'm a speaker fanatic )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah

I think it's a 70/80? that could probably benefit from a swap (though I always say that, I'm a speaker fanatic )

Yeah, according to the specs it is. TBH, adding the extra cab doesn't make so much difference at home, but when I'm playing with my band you really notice the extra bass it adds to the tone.

I'm the opposite though - if I don't like how something sounds with it's stock setup, I don't buy it. Not saying an upgrade wouldn't change/improve something, but if I don't like it how it is then it's not the right kit for me. That goes for speakers, pickups, tubes, the works. Until it needs doing, it stays standard. The closest I've ever come to customising something was fitting panniers to my motorbike
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm not much of a tinkerer either, but speakers (along with pickups) are the kind of thing that manufacturers often cheap out on, and when they don't they tend to fit the popular one that everyone has heard of. Plus they make a pretty big difference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not to go back too far, but i play with more guys in their 50's and 60's more on average than people 21-30.

and... i learned more with the older guys than i could imagine learning with my 'peers'
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not to go back too far, but i play with more guys in their 50's and 60's more on average than people 21-30.

and... i learned more with the older guys than i could imagine learning with my 'peers'

I think people may have got the wrong impression...

I frequently play with people in thier 40s and 50s which is great since they are obviously a lot better than me which means I learn a lot from a short period of time. But it will look very odd if there are 3 14 year olds on stage with a 50 year old drummer especially since none of us know one which means it would literally be a stranger.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I think people may have got the wrong impression...

I frequently play with people in thier 40s and 50s which is great since they are obviously a lot better than me which means I learn a lot from a short period of time. But it will look very odd if there are 3 14 year olds on stage with a 50 year old drummer especially since none of us know one which means it would literally be a stranger.

obviously you've never seen this
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate