I'm looking for an overdrive pedal, but I'm not sure which one would be the best. I've looked into the Marshall Jackhammer JH-1 and the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-7, but I'm open for any other suggestions. The sound I'm looking for is right around mid-80s Rush, not terribly heavy, but not clean, either. Right now, my budget is about $30 to $50. If it helps any, I play a PRS SE Custom 24 through a Peavey Ultra 112.
Used Boss SD1 + used Digitech Bad Monkey. That'll give you 2 different types of od to screw around with. Both, used, would probably come out to bout $50. Thats what I'd do in your shoes.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'd even say just one of them, since they're pretty close. maybe the sd1 since it's slightly more marshally.

i should add i'm not that familiar with rush
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lucky1978
Used Boss SD1 + used Digitech Bad Monkey. That'll give you 2 different types of od to screw around with. Both, used, would probably come out to bout $50. Thats what I'd do in your shoes.

Two tube screamer type pedals may be a bit of a overkill, if the guy has got nothing.

What is the best depends A LOT on what amp you are using and what you want to get out of the pedal. I am not familiar with those so can't really help.
My favourite in that price range is an old Japanese SD-1, it has asymmetric clipping and it isn't sensitive to pick attack, both of which I like. I also have a Bad monkey, which I think is outstanding in the Tubescreamer style - it is very well built and the tone controls add versatility.
Quote by KeyGuy
Two tube screamer type pedals may be a bit of a overkill, if the guy has got nothing.

What is the best depends A LOT on what amp you are using and what you want to get out of the pedal. I am not familiar with those so can't really help.

Thats why I say, "why not both?", theyre pretty cheap. The BM for smooth, tight and the sd1 for nasty, bite
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 11, 2014,
SD-1. Cheap, tried and true effectiveness with more bite than typical TS.
I would recommend the ts9 to anyone for any style music where you would want an over drive pedal. The bad monkey would be a good alternative if on a tighter budget.
Quote by maddog61
I'm looking for an overdrive pedal, but I'm not sure which one would be the best. I've looked into the Marshall Jackhammer JH-1 and the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-7, but I'm open for any other suggestions. The sound I'm looking for is right around mid-80s Rush, not terribly heavy, but not clean, either. Right now, my budget is about $30 to $50. If it helps any, I play a PRS SE Custom 24 through a Peavey Ultra 112.

I don't have a clue. I just barely figured out which way to hold a pick......

I do like the model PRS you are playing and love some Rush !!!

Good luck on getting things dialed into the sound you are after.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
It's like asking what is the best BBQ sauce.

OCD and TS9 are crowd favorites but it really depends on what you like. I own both and favor the TS9 through a Fender, and the OCD through a Mesa clean chnl for just a little hair on it for solos.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 12, 2014,
Some folks may disagree but if there's not a used market where you are and don't want to do eBay, check out Joyo Vintage Overdrive. It's an OD808 clone for $30 new and yes it's made in China.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Marshall Jackhammer is great as OD, okay as distortion. The param. mid eq is awesome to dial in the tone you need. I also love the Guvnor in all its incarnations.
MXR is good, also look at Sansamp/Tech21 used. Boss SD-1 is also ok, but a bit buzzy for my taste. I played a modded SD-1 that was good though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm12nJA5tcI&list=UU5zI7hhKNmlMyiq7XupzfqQ
you could maybe look for a voodoo lab sparkle drive. they are interesting pedals. its next on my list. it may be a stretch, but if you go look around for a used one it shouldn't be too far off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Joyo all they way. Vintage OD (Tube Screamer clone) and/or ultimate drive (OCD clone)

Get 'em both if you can and feed one into another and experiment.
The Jackhammer can sound good when it's on, but those Marshall pedals don't have the best buffers in them, I used to have the Jackhammer & when I replaced it I noticed I'd been experiencing quite a bit of tonesucking with it.

Another option that's worth looking at are the EHX pedals - the East River Drive is (supposedly) a tubescreamer clone, and I can also recommend the Glove OD if you want a bit more gain from your pedal. Haven't tried the rest of the range, but they should be within your budget and EHX are always solidly put together which makes them a great option in that price range.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
well i mean the best overdrive is the smallsound/bigsound f*ck overdrive.

but for your applications, I dunno. The Boss SD-1 would probably be fine.
Quote by GaryBillington
The Jackhammer can sound good when it's on, but those Marshall pedals don't have the best buffers in them, I used to have the Jackhammer & when I replaced it I noticed I'd been experiencing quite a bit of tonesucking with it.

aren't they half-assed bypass? but yeah if so that's most likely not going to help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ That is probably the technical term for it!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yeah i don't think it has a technical term but half-assed seems to be used a bit, at least informally sounds pretty good to me, and has the appropriate level of disdain for that approach, too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
your amp is a Peavey Ultra? have you tried the Crunch channel on that as it would seem that that would work just fine for mid period Rush. you may just want to use an overdrive as a boost for that little extra something. I'd suggest the Bad Monkey or the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive for their better tonal options.