I want to use my Macbook Pro w/ Retina as a bass amp live. I could use logic and MainStage or just logic. If I use a pre-amp could it work with my Ampeg 8x10 cab? Or is that completely unrealistic?

Thanks!
Griffin
No you can't use it as an amp, though you can use it to change the sound of your bass and make it sound like it's passed through a bass amp.
Then you need a power amp to plug it into your cab, or you might as well keep it simple using a cab simulation too on the computer and plugging the thing directly into the PA system.

Since you seem to already have a preamp you could also go from the bass to the pre to the pa system and skip the computer altogether.

To connect the bass to the computer and the computer to the pa system or to a power amp you'll need an audio interface anyway - have a look at the interfaces sticky in the recording forum to get an idea of what you could get.

Also mind that using both logic and mainstage would be of no use, and since you don't have to edit stuff live using logic instead of mainstage would be a waste of processing power that would result in a bit more latency, and you absolutely don't want that, so stick to mainstage.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at May 11, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
No you can't use it as an amp, though you can use it to change the sound of your bass and make it sound like it's passed through a bass amp.
Then you need a power amp to plug it into your cab, or you might as well keep it simple using a cab simulation too on the computer and plugging the thing directly into the PA system.

Since you seem to already have a preamp you could also go from the bass to the pre to the pa system and skip the computer altogether.

To connect the bass to the computer and the computer to the pa system or to a power amp you'll need an audio interface anyway - have a look at the interfaces sticky in the recording forum to get an idea of what you could get.

Also mind that using both logic and mainstage would be of no use, and since you don't have to edit stuff live using logic instead of mainstage would be a waste of processing power that would result in a bit more latency, and you absolutely don't want that, so stick to mainstage.

Thanks! But I think I worded the question wrong. Long story short, could I DI my bass into my Macbook Pro, then out to a power amp, then run that setup with my 8x10 cab? Or does that not work? Essentially, I just want to have the most monstrous tone and I have an insane computer. Really hoping that works, considering my Ampeg SVT4Pro just blew. So... let me know Thanks again!
We do this. We have live tracks with a click (split panned to different sides). The live track has things like keys, synths, and all that jazz, (infrequent but their) AND a bass track. We have a less than reliable bass player, it's mainly just us three. Now with this, we send one feed to the drummers ears, then the rest to a small mixer. this then goes to the bass AMP (a head into a cab) and then we DI the head to the house system.

So yes, it is possible this way.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Griffin_LKVW
Thanks! But I think I worded the question wrong. Long story short, could I DI my bass into my Macbook Pro, then out to a power amp, then run that setup with my 8x10 cab? Or does that not work? Essentially, I just want to have the most monstrous tone and I have an insane computer. Really hoping that works, considering my Ampeg SVT4Pro just blew. So... let me know Thanks again!

Yes that will work. I see several bands using notebook and Tablets as their "preamps" (using POD farm and other amp sims)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No, guys I'm asking if I can replace the amp all together by using a MacBook Pro and a power amp and run it to my 8x10 cab
Quote by Griffin_LKVW
No, guys I'm asking if I can replace the amp all together by using a MacBook Pro and a power amp and run it to my 8x10 cab

Yes, didn't you see my post above.

Your mac book will be the preamp, so it wil be: mac>power amp>speaker cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Griffin_LKVW
Yeah.
Yeah, as I wrote, you can.

To run your bass into your computer you gotta get an audio interface though if you like good sounding stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.