I'm going to study music production at university and have decided to buy a decent amp to take with me as all I have are smallish practice amps.

I'm looking for an amp I can gig with, but as I'm studying production I thought a modelling amp would be handy to provide me with a range of tones for recording. The two which have caught my eye so far are the Line 6 Spider VI 150 and their newest release, the Amplifi 150.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on which is better? Or if there's any other modelling amps you would recommend which could be used both live as well as in a studio?
Last edited by BENDO789 at May 11, 2014,
Also looking at the Fender Mustang IV V.2 and the Roland GA-212, any thoughts on those?
If you want some good modelling get a POD HD500 and a powered PA or some really nice headphones.That way you aren't lugging a round a huge combo amp and the POD HD sounds better than any other Line 6 modelling amp. Plus you can add effects and stuff into the patch. When running live just go direct to front of house. No amps needed.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by BENDO789
I'm looking for an amp I can gig with, but as I'm studying production I thought a modelling amp would be handy to provide me with a range of tones for recording.

In that case get a tube amp and use software for modeling. You need to learn to re-amp a dry signal anyway.
Last edited by jpnyc at May 11, 2014,
I'm with theStig on this; In this case, "separates" are better.

By picking a very good modeler alone, you can apply that to a wide variety of powered FRFR output, including headphones, recording monitors, PA style speakers, etc. This allows a LOT more versatility. In addition, if you decide to change/update modelers, you'll only be swapping out the one electronic piece, and you'll be able to simply plug it into whatever combination of amplification and speakers (or recording gear or headphones) you've got otherwise.
I have no idea what they sound like but the Amplifi would probably pretty useful in a dorm.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Don't get a modelling amp because you're studying music production because 99% of good production is done by micing an amp. A modelling amp isn't going to help you really learn how to record and mix. There are reasons to get a modelling amp, but learning how to record isn't of them.
Modeling amps have their uses but a 65 Fender Champ would be the trick for recording great guitar tone. Use onboard DSP and amp sim software for everything else.

No Spiders please.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Why don't you email your uni to find out what other students use?

As ever on here there are plenty of opinions couched as advice but whether anyone has done a course like yours is doubtful.
I was going to recommend a Line 6 POD HD as well. I have a lot of fun tweaking patches on mine. You can select the amp, cab and mic you want to use, and they all alter the sound notably.

Definitely stay away from the Spider. Spiders are toys, with laughable amp choice & FX options/flexibility.

If you really want an all in one modeling amp, look at the Peavey Vypyr VIP-3. I have one, and while I haven't touched it since I got my POD, it is quite fun and, IMO, sounds the best of the entry level modeling amps.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I was going to recommend a Line 6 POD HD as well. I have a lot of fun tweaking patches on mine. You can select the amp, cab and mic you want to use, and they all alter the sound notably.

Definitely stay away from the Spider. Spiders are toys, with laughable amp choice & FX options/flexibility.

If you really want an all in one modeling amp, look at the Peavey Vypyr VIP-3. I have one, and while I haven't touched it since I got my POD, it is quite fun and, IMO, sounds the best of the entry level modeling amps.

+3,1415. Agreed on all counts.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Here is the American equivalent of the student room website...

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/

I have gone to the music major forum for you already to make it easy. Please register and post your question in there as well. Someone who is doing your kind of course may have some more focused advice for you.

I'm sat in my sun room here in Chesterfield, in England and I've found you a very pertinent website for your questions about your US university course. Took me five minutes. You won't get handholding like this at university!

Kids today....
Pod HD500 and a powered wedge - or PodHD and a tube amp with a nice power amp and a serial FX loop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm not sure how much wattage you need, but you might want to look at Yamaha THR10 or even THR5. I just got a THR10 and I love it. Now, I will NOT mistake the tube amp simulation on this for my Mesa Boogie tube amp. However, this thing has a ton of options to dial in. You also get a build in tuner, head phones, aux line, and USB connection (it can double as a guitar interface / soundcard, as I understand it).

So you get, like, half a dozen very different amp sims, and then you can tweak those with gain, bass, mid, treb, and add fx like delay, chorus, echo, phaser, flanger, tremolo, etc. Right out of the box, I could dial in some different spacey / ambient tones, from U2 to Pink Floyd to Cocteau Twins, and then you can do lots of crunchy distortion tones, too. It's super small -- desk top, size of an amp head. You can turn it low or use headphones for dorm room. It can run on batteries (for jamming at park, beach, etc.). I got mine for under $250.

Am I going to gig a venue with it? No, but it's a busker's dream, and also ideal for dorm, bedroom, home hobbyist, etc. And you can't beat that price.

I'll probably unload my 4 watt all tube Vox ac4c1 amp, which was my prior 'bedroom' amp, but just was too big, not versatile enough, too loud (had to have it on, like, 1 or 1.5 out of 10 volume or it'd be too loud for home use). I'll keep the Yamaha for home, for sparking creativity, experimenting with tones, taking my electric on road trips (not gigs), etc. And I'll keep the 50 watt Mesa Boogie if I ever get around to gigging.

I did a video on some tones out of it, but it's a really crappy video -- one take, didn't tune guitar first, etc., have never done a gear review video before, just got the urge -- here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH7Rkh6YDBs

Note, the THR10 (unlike THR5) also has bass amp setting, which is kind of cool, if you also have a bass guitar. It came with a "trial" version of Cubase -- lasts 30 days after you install it. I'm curious to try out Cubase, but have not yet activated it, as I want to wait till I think I'll really have time to play around with it.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by JELIFISH19
Don't get a modelling amp because you're studying music production because 99% of good production is done by micing an amp. A modelling amp isn't going to help you really learn how to record and mix. There are reasons to get a modelling amp, but learning how to record isn't of them.

+1

Laney LC15, Fender Blues Jr, Orange Tiny Terror or Micro Terror, Vox VT range for modeling.

You'll need to learn acoustics in a room so all the modeling naked will probably be worthless in your case. A small tube clean/cleanish amp would probably be best choice to start with and if needed even add pedals or a multifx unit later if need be.
Quote by diabolical
+1

Laney LC15, Fender Blues Jr, Orange Tiny Terror or Micro Terror, Vox VT range for modeling.

You'll need to learn acoustics in a room so all the modeling naked will probably be worthless in your case. A small tube clean/cleanish amp would probably be best choice to start with and if needed even add pedals or a multifx unit later if need be.

why does everybody forget about the dual terror? i love it. you get a second channel, which is heavier and footswitchable between the two. the fat channel is even better than the TT channel. and 30 watts (or 15 or 7) is kind of nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
why does everybody forget about the dual terror? i love it. you get a second channel, which is heavier and footswitchable between the two. the fat channel is even better than the TT channel. and 30 watts (or 15 or 7) is kind of nice.

I haven't forgotten it but the extra cash is not worth it, especially considering that he wouldn't need to be flipping channels.
Quote by diabolical
I haven't forgotten it but the extra cash is not worth it, especially considering that he wouldn't need to be flipping channels.

the extra cash is worth it. play it and mess around with the "fat" channel. it is better than the tiny terror. if you look around used it may only be $100-$150 more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/