Quote by Invader Jim
It's an output jack.

Where did you get it? Did it come with any kind of instruction sheet? What guitar is it going in?

Well ****. At a guitar show I was at today.
I asked the guy where he had some input jacks and he said "they are right there in the box". They looked pretty weird so I thought it was a different model

Well you learn something new every day. It`s going into an Ibanez RG model.
No instructions.
Dissonance is underrated.
I'm not sure but it may still fit. It has a strain relief so it was actually meant to be on the end of a cable, not a panel-mount application like a guitar. How much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?
But if it fits, would it work?
20 swedish kronor and that`s about 3$ I think.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I have used some jacks like that before. They still work fine.

So how should I solder it? There`s 4 pins.
Last edited by Lyrax at May 11, 2014,
Quote by Lyrax
So how should I solder it? There`s 4 pins.

Passive pickups - sleeve = negative, tip = positive

Active pickups - sleeve = negative, tip = positive & mid section = battery negative
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
Passive pickups - sleeve = negative, tip = positive

Active pickups - sleeve = negative, tip = positive & mid section = battery negative

The tips is the long one right? And I have no idea which one the sleeve us.
There's 3 pins going down into the isolation or whatever it is.
Quote by Lyrax
The tips is the long one right? And I have no idea which one the sleeve us.

You can't see the pins that lock the plug in place so I couldn't tell you. You'll need to figure it out if there were no instructions. You'll need a multimeter, a patch cable and maybe a battery to help figure it out.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
You can't see the pins that lock the plug in place so I couldn't tell you. You'll need to figure it out if there were no instructions. You'll need a multimeter, a patch cable and maybe a battery to help figure it out.

Okey. Well I think I`ll get a new jack instead. Too much work
Thanks thou.
It looks like one of the lugs is longer than the rest. That will be the tip connection. The sleeve will be that little tab on the strain relief. If you have passive electronics then this is all you need.
So the long one is the tip which is positive right?
If you look at it from the top you have the very long one at 12 o`clock.
Of the thee small pins you have the longest pin at 4, the shortest at 8 and the in between one at 12.
And the negative/ground is the shortest one at 8?
And positive at 4?
No, the ground is the bent tab on the strain relief. The hot is the longest lug coming out the bottom.

If you are observant enough, there are all kinds of things with some sort of little something to help you figure out how to wire it. Just comes with experience and reading about stuff.

For example, this jack. The longest lug out the bottom is likely the tip connection because the tip is the most used. If you insert a plug you'll notice that the sleeve of the plug makes electrical contact with the casing of the jack, therefore the strain relief itself, which is part of the casing, is the sleeve connection.

Oftentimes simple observation is enough.
Quote by Invader Jim
No, the ground is the bent tab on the strain relief. The hot is the longest lug coming out the bottom.

If you are observant enough, there are all kinds of things with some sort of little something to help you figure out how to wire it. Just comes with experience and reading about stuff.

For example, this jack. The longest lug out the bottom is likely the tip connection because the tip is the most used. If you insert a plug you'll notice that the sleeve of the plug makes electrical contact with the casing of the jack, therefore the strain relief itself, which is part of the casing, is the sleeve connection.

Oftentimes simple observation is enough.

Thanks! But if I do something wrong, will I **** something up?
Quote by Invader Jim
Nah, it just won't work. There's no danger of messing something up.

Thank you so much!!