I'm looking for a overdrive pedal with a lot of gain on tap. Can't be too expensive. Something that can get thick, aggressive and crunchy, I really like that "mid-hump". I've been looking at some pedals and so far I've narrowed down the pedals to these few that have gained my interest.

TS9
EHX Soul Food
Crowther Hotcake (A little pricey, but there's just something about the sound that's interesting to me)

I wish the TS9 had more to it. I liked it a lot, but it just didn't get as crunchy as I wanted. Haven't tried the other two in person. Any suggestions?

Update EDIT
Last edited by Nikon87 at May 14, 2014,
The Rat or OCD probably has the most gain on tap, maybe the SD-1. When I think QOTSA, I think fuzz more than OD or pushed amp though. The Hotcake is always nice with an AC though, as that's the amp it was designed for

Looking at the first 4, You've got an SD-1, two tubescreamers and a klon essentially. I don't think any of them will tick the boxes you want to be honest.
How do these pedals compare in transparency in the sense that it reacts to the nuances in my playing? I want something with aggressive crunch but maintains the overtones and whatnot. Would the TurboRat fall a little behind in this category since it's a distortion pedal?
Last edited by Nikon87 at May 12, 2014,
To make an educated guess, I'd say yeah. If you want the most transparent drive there, then maybe the Soul Food, I guess. It's based on the Klon, the godfather of transparent drives.

The TS's are all quite dynamic etc but they tend to have a pronounced mid hump. Though the Bad Monkey has more EQ options to control this.
Tonally, how is the Hotcake in comparison? I'm becoming more interested in that pedal.
I don't like the SD-1, I think it's quite noisy (I owned one for a little while).

Check out the MXR M77. It sounds like a very slightly smoother SD-1, but with a lot more tonal options, and quieter. It's the overdrive I'm using right now, and I like it. It's surprisingly dynamic to me, but still falls notably short of the dynamics of a good mid gain tube amp though.

Out of your list, I'd say the Soul Food for sure, but it's a different beast.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use a turborat through my ac30 and it sounds great. It's not necessarily the "crunch
iest"... it's not really great for a chuggy, palm-muted sound. What it does is a nice, saturated, nasty kind of tone... somewhere between overdrive and distortion on lower gain levels. and between distortion and fuzz on the higher gain settings. Overall, I'd reccommend it.
def Hotcake! If you can swing the price def get it. It seems like the one you want but you want to settle for something cheaper. If you don't get it, you will still want it...
I'd recommend checking out the MI Audio Super Blues Pro, especially since you're considering the Koln-inspired Soul Food. I love my Blues Pro for my own reasons(it's not one of the new, "Supers" though), but I recently watched a nice head-to-head video featuring the SBP against a Klon and thought the SBP was able to do a nice job of covering the Klon sounds, plus it has more tones on tap to access.

One of the reasons I like my BP is because it doesn't have the mid-spike that most TS style drives do. It's also got more volume and gain on tap. I think with an EL-84 loaded amp (I have the Jet City 20 watter), the fact that it doesn't have the TS-spike really makes it a nice match.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
out of those (and i can't remember much about the hotcake, so bear that in mind), the rat has the most gain by far, i'd say. they also have a rep of sounding good with voxes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried out a few today and the one I liked the most in person was the TS9. I haven't tried the other two. But that "mid-hump" is a sound I really dig. It just didn't get as crunchy as I'd like and I think I would've liked it more if there was more diversity in the knobs. Don't get me wrong, the knobs weren't bad, but they just didn't dial as much as I wanted it to.
OCD's are good for the more nasty boosts.

i really think that a Timmy would be a good option, but won't give you the TS hump.

another that goes unseen for some reason i don't know why. but an M-Audio Blues Pro.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have an AC30
I also have a TS9DX, TS-808, and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET.
I use the Fulltone way more than the other 2 by a long shot.
Its got more crunch that the TS's do, but its not transparent.
Sometimes I'll push it a bit with one of the TS'es.

I keep meaning to try a Hotcake and a Rat, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Quote by Nikon87
I tried out a few today and the one I liked the most in person was the TS9. I haven't tried the other two. But that "mid-hump" is a sound I really dig. It just didn't get as crunchy as I'd like and I think I would've liked it more if there was more diversity in the knobs. Don't get me wrong, the knobs weren't bad, but they just didn't dial as much as I wanted it to.

try a boss sd1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
OCD's are good for the more nasty boosts.

i really think that a Timmy would be a good option, but won't give you the TS hump.

another that goes unseen for some reason i don't know why. but an M-Audio Blues Pro.

I've found that when using a lot of gain with the OCD, it can get quite "boomy" and have too much low end. That always happened when I used it on a really clean channel JUST for gain. Now I use a pretty clean, but still pushed, clean channel, and less gain on the pedal, and it sounds GREAT.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
I've found that when using a lot of gain with the OCD, it can get quite "boomy" and have too much low end. That always happened when I used it on a really clean channel JUST for gain. Now I use a pretty clean, but still pushed, clean channel, and less gain on the pedal, and it sounds GREAT.

OCD's are a kind of unique thing. its got enough gain to get classic rock tone from a twin or something with the gain and volume dimed, but if set low still give a nice extra push to get the dirth or edge of dirt.

some amps it gets along with, many or most it doesn't.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/