Hi
May I ask all the experts here?
I want to grab a DECENT electro acoustic (Steel)
I have about 450 UK Pounds and have been looking at Ovation, whats the difference between Applause and Elite for example?
Many thanks in advance
Quote by stephenrudden
Hi
May I ask all the experts here?
I want to grab a DECENT electro acoustic (Steel)
I have about 450 UK Pounds and have been looking at Ovation, whats the difference between Applause and Elite for example?
Many thanks in advance

Within your budget, I would recommend the Crafter TC035-N. Spec for spec it's probably one of the best electro-acoustic guitars on the market.

Here is a link to the spec (Sutherland is the UK Crafter distributor):

http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/products/tc035-n/

PS. The price shown is the RRP - you should shop around for the best deal
applause have laminate tops, elite have solid tops. my husband had a 1778tx elite t that sounded good.

if you go for an ovation and play unplugged at all, i'd suggest a medium bowl, not a shallow bowl. the shallow bowl models sound thin and boxy, the deeper bowls sound rich - sometimes too bassy, but the right strings (DR rare phosphor bronze, for example) will fix that.

you might want to check out one of these
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fgx_720sc_nt.htm
the yamaha FGX 720SC is a pretty nice axe. it has a solid top, a cutaway and a gloss finish. it sounds good, too.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
i love epiphones harmonys look used buy new you overpay , and buyn on line without playn it is crazy best of luck
Quote by Garthman
Within your budget, I would recommend the Crafter TC035-N. Spec for spec it's probably one of the best electro-acoustic guitars on the market.

Here is a link to the spec (Sutherland is the UK Crafter distributor):

http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/products/tc035-n/

PS. The price shown is the RRP - you should shop around for the best deal

+1 I've had my Crafter at least 10 years now, I never intend to replace it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ovations are very nice guitars. because of their non-traditional build, they are a "love 'em or hate 'em" brand. like patticake stated, the deeper the bowl, the better the sound quality. i've owned a few dozen 'O's. currently down to 3 not counting my Adamas', one in each depth, shallow GC057( really tinny and horrible sounding unplugged) a medium1778T-RFT( much better unplugged - good bass response and nice highs) and a deep bowled C2079-LX( excellent bass, fantastic, sculpted mids and highs). i have other, more traditional acoustics but i still find myself enjoying the O's more frequently. it is individual preferences however, that will guide you.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
they are, but i couldn't find any in uk/eu in his price range.

Quote by jessesixstring
Look into Seagull guitars. They are great.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Many thanks going to view a Crafter TC035-N at weekend, however I do have more money if you think here would be a better choice? have been a pro song writer / producer for over 20 years, I will only use for writing and recording, no live stuff but I write for major and indie labels achieving cut's and placements world wide, so the better the sound of the demo the better the chance of a cut.......if you know what I mean

I have a variety of guitars both electric and acoustic, nice Washburn Classical semi, but I just lack a dead nice steel semi.........the wife will also be pleased if I get yet another guitar ha ha

many thanks again to all the experts
Stephen, since you are from the UK, maybe look at the brand Farida?
I've got a Farida D-32E, and IMO it's a damn good guitar for the money.
Quote by stephenrudden
Many thanks going to view a Crafter TC035-N at weekend, however I do have more money if you think here would be a better choice? . . .

I hope you like the TC035-N - it's a lot of guitar for the money.

"Better" is a subjective thing. If you were to buy, say, a Taylor guitar of similar spec you would spend between 2 and 3 times the money but end up with a guitar that sounds and plays like - and of similar quality (both in materials and workmanship) - to the Crafter.

If I was going to make a step up from the TC035-N, I would stay with Crafter and go for their TV200CEQ:

http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/products/tv200-ceq-nv/

This is a seriously good guitar for the price: all solid woods, top quality materials and components. Again, it's worth shopping around - I've seen this on sale for just over £500
Last edited by Garthman at May 13, 2014,
Thanks Garthman, Just ordered the TC035-N as will give it a go 1st, been playing for 42 years and I ain't no virtuoso but get the job done
Looking forward to it as everywhere I have read this Guitar is heavily praised
Thanks again for all the advice
Because you are in the UK faith guitars are quite reasonably priced (or they were 2 years ago when I was still following them) so I'd add that to you list of brands to look at. Also Hohner makes some very nice acoustic guitars they make some horrible ones too, but I've played 400 quid solid wood hohners that sound better than 3,000 pound martin and gibsons. Just be sure you are looking at the top end hohners and not the low end
Not taking any online orders.
Hi
received the guitar very nice, though action was high so sanded the Saddle, but to much sanding, buzzing frets......DOH!!!!

Picked up another saddle from the store and popped in, now as the pick up is under that Saddle is there any preference for what Saddle is made from, i.e bone, plastic, ivory etc etc?
many thanks in advance
Quote by stephenrudden
Thanks Garthman, Just ordered the TC035-N as will give it a go 1st, been playing for 42 years and I ain't no virtuoso but get the job done
Looking forward to it as everywhere I have read this Guitar is heavily praised
Thanks again for all the advice
OK, that was post #6

And now we have the somewhat enigmatic post #7
Quote by CorduroyEW
Because you are in the UK faith guitars are quite reasonably priced (or they were 2 years ago when I was still following them) so I'd add that to you list of brands to look at. Also Hohner makes some very nice acoustic guitars they make some horrible ones too, but I've played 400 quid solid wood hohners that sound better than 3,000 pound martin and gibsons. Just be sure you are looking at the top end hohners and not the low end

Although to what end, I haven't a clue. (Hint, he already ordered the Crafter).

Moving along:
Quote by stephenrudden
Hi
received the guitar very nice, though action was high so sanded the Saddle, but to much sanding, buzzing frets......DOH!!!!

Picked up another saddle from the store and popped in, now as the pick up is under that Saddle is there any preference for what Saddle is made from, i.e bone, plastic, ivory etc etc?
many thanks in advance
Generally speaking, bone is the saddle material of choice. Although, you can find people who are willing to sell you petrified mammoth bone saddle blanks, (and whatever else), if you are stupid enough to give them 200 pounds or so for a stinking saddle blank.

And BTW, I think ivory has to be vetted as to origin and legality before you can purchase it. (Not sure though). Elephant poaching & slaughter being the concern.

Basically, they don't make scrimshaw as much as they did in the old days either.

In the meantime, why don't you read this: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html a few times before you start in on the new saddle.

The critical part, more so than the material, is that the saddle be dead straight, flat, and the bottom face be absolutely perpendicular to the sides. This to ensure full, linear, contact, with the piezo element. If it isn't, output balance between strings through an amp, will possibly be erratic, uneven, or a bit unpredictable.

The Crafter TC035N, is that the slot head orchestra model? I can buy those here left handed, (I think), so let us know how you like it...., er please.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 21, 2014,
Thanks Captain I shall read and learn
Ivory OK as long as it's pre 1920's, think Ill find me some Dinosaur bones
For guitars with crystals pick up below the saddle, synthetic saddle is better than bone.
The crystals work better with synthetic material.

Or so my luthier says . . .
^True... Sort of... bone is inconsistent so the energy transfer to an undersadle pickup can be very unbalanced or it can be great depending on the piece of bone. if you are buying 1 saddle and putting it in then it's luck of the draw It might sound awesome or it might sound horrible. Synthetic materials are going to give you consistent results. Tusq and corian both consistently sound good with nice string balance. Plastic is still a synthetic to avoid.

I go to the butcher and buy marrow bones and get enough material that I can make 7 or 8 saddles for about $1.00. So if I make a saddle and it doesn't sound balanced I simply make another saddle. Usually the 1st one gives me good balance and sounds as good or better than tusq or corian but I do occasionally have to make a couple before I get a good one.
Seagulls are very great quality! I bought a Entourage, and cant put it down, i now plan on buying an artist model!
Last edited by EricChic98 at May 21, 2014,
And since you are in the UK, Tanglewood seems reasonable, or even Emerald guitars
Quote by EricChic98
And since you are in the UK, Tanglewood seems reasonable, or even Emerald guitars
Dude, he already bought a Crafter, 6 posts ago.
Quote by Captaincranky
Dude, he already bought a Crafter, 6 posts ago.

Sorry, must have read over it by accident...
Quote by EricChic98
Sorry, must have read over it by accident...
I've done that myself, more times than I care to admit. Read the header and dive in, keyboard blazing.

Stay tuned though, we might get the dish on this Crafter, as soon as he gets his saddle issues worked out.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 22, 2014,
Thanks all, sorted out the saddle the Crafter but I have to say action is high any ideas what can be done? action at 12th frett is 3mm, if it goes lower then buzzing, was hoping for better?
many thanks
Quote by stephenrudden
Thanks all, sorted out the saddle the Crafter but I have to say action is high any ideas what can be done? action at 12th frett is 3mm, if it goes lower then buzzing, was hoping for better?
many thanks
Either the neck is too straight, (no relief), or you have a high fret. A 3rd possibility could be a groove too deep in the top nut. Go back and read the setup link I gave again, por favor.

Fret every string, at every fret. See if you can track the buzz to a specific string and fret.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 27, 2014,
3mm isn't bad for an acoustic guitar. To get lower then that you usually have to get a pro setup which involves fret leveling, truss rod adjustment, and filing the nut. It is a good investment that will make your guitar play better but it's not cheap.
Quote by CorduroyEW
. . . 3mm isn't bad for an acoustic guitar.. . . .

I'll go a step further and say 3mm is about as low as you'll get. Any lower is going to produce string buzz unless you are a very light player.

Are you primarily an electric guitar player? You'd expect to get a little lower on an electric guitar but 3mm is fine for an acoustic.