Hello, I'm trying to make a lead guitar solo for the first time
I'm thinking of using notes from a pentatonic scale for example :
Key of E Major therefore I should use E major pentatonic scale.

So i need to take some notes from the e major pentatonic scale, right?
now, the problem is I don't know how to take notes from the scale the proper way.
and how to make it sound melodic.

Can you make some few examples for me?
Learn the guitar solo in "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts and go from there
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
yep e major pentatonic should work over an e major chord

if it's a bluesy/rocky song, though, the e minor pentatonic should also work

just try the notes and see which ones sound good. getting slightly more involved theoretically, if the notes are the same as in the underlying chord, it should work.

E.g. E major chord has the notes E, G# and B. E major pentatonic has the notes E, F#, G#, B, C#. So E, G# and B from the major pentatonic should work over the E major chord.

The chord progression will probably use other chords, too- so again, see which notes are in those chords. If any notes in the chords fall outside the major pentatonic scale, they will still work over that chord (but only over that chord, most likely).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep e major pentatonic should work over an e major chord

if it's a bluesy/rocky song, though, the e minor pentatonic should also work

just try the notes and see which ones sound good. getting slightly more involved theoretically, if the notes are the same as in the underlying chord, it should work.

E.g. E major chord has the notes E, G# and B. E major pentatonic has the notes E, F#, G#, B, C#. So E, G# and B from the major pentatonic should work over the E major chord.

The chord progression will probably use other chords, too- so again, see which notes are in those chords. If any notes in the chords fall outside the major pentatonic scale, they will still work over that chord (but only over that chord, most likely).

So Your telling that if there were three chord progressions in the song i need to use three scale patterns?, for example : E - B - A, So I need to use E major , B major and A major scale patterns?, I need work on the timing right?
Quote by kean1251
Hello, I'm trying to make a lead guitar solo for the first time
I'm thinking of using notes from a pentatonic scale for example :
Key of E Major therefore I should use E major pentatonic scale.

So i need to take some notes from the e major pentatonic scale, right?
now, the problem is I don't know how to take notes from the scale the proper way.
and how to make it sound melodic.

Can you make some few examples for me?

Learn some Lenny from Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood Album - He solos over E and A switching between E major pentatonic and E minor pentatonic/blues throughout. There's a few good major pentatonic runs in there that should help you get a feel for it.
Quote by kean1251
So Your telling that if there were three chord progressions in the song i need to use three scale patterns?, for example : E - B - A, So I need to use E major , B major and A major scale patterns?, I need work on the timing right?

E - B - A is ONE chord progression. A chord progression simply means that "the progression starts at one chord and ends at another chord". We literally progress from one chord to the next to the next, until the end of the progression.

Anyway, to answer your other question. No, you don't need 3 different scale patterns. (You could use 3 different scale patterns, but that's very inefficient. Don't bother.) If you chords are E, B, and A; then you ONLY need to use a scale in Emajor. (Commonly used scales are the Emajor scale and the Emajor pentantonic scale.) Why? I'll explain below.

The key is Emajor. So, the progression is a I - V - IV progression. What does this mean? Well, let's lay out a few things:
1) The key signature of Emajor is E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, & D#.
2) The notes of the E chord are E, G#, B. The notes of B chord are B, D#, F#. The notes of A chord are A, C#, E.
3) The notes of the Emajor pentatonic are E, F#, G,# B, & C#. The notes of the E major scale are E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, & D#.

Ok...so, what do you notice about the notes of the chords and the notes of the key signature? Well, all of the notes of the chords are in the key signature. Now, what about our scales? Again, all of the notes are in the key signature. (In fact, the key signature of Emajor and the Emajor contain the EXACT same notes. Not a coincidence, that.) So, for this chord progression, we can play either of these scales, and we'll be just fine.

Make sense?

Edit:
Another popular scale over a chord progression like this would be the Eminor pentatonic scale. The notes of this scale are: E, G, A, B, & D. So...now we have to be a little careful, because a few of the notes of this scale are not diatonic (read: notes of the key signature).
Well, if we think about it, the only thing we need to be careful of is when to play the G note. We should NOT play a G note over the E chord (remember that the E chord is made of the notes E, G#, B). Playing a G note over the E chord will be a bit dissonant. (Of course, we can play this note for a very short time over the E chord [to create tension], but we shouldn't linger on that note for too long.) So, when using the Eminor pentatonic scale, we're fine as long as remember when to play that G note.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 12, 2014,
^ Also D note will clash with the B major chord. But it will sound bluesy.

TS, to make a melodic solo, you need to write a melody. And the best melodies are in your head. Maybe write the solo by singing. That way you aren't limited by any scales and can let your ear guide you. And that way your solo doesn't become a basic "lick after lick" solo.

Another option is to just try different notes. First play one note and then try to find the next note that sounds good. Maybe use something like Tux Guitar or Guitar Pro for this because you can write your solo on paper and also play it back. And you can also easily change the notes/rhythms.

I don't like writing solos/songs to fit a scale. That's just limiting. I use my ears and let them guide me. Of course I also know which key I'm in and which scale I'm using but the sound comes first.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
TS, to make a melodic solo, you need to write a melody. And the best melodies are in your head.

While this is true, it's also a good idea to know how melodies are constructed (structural/passing tones) and how they harmonize with the underlying chords, which gives the TS more of a jumping-off point. After all, it's hard to hear a melody in your head if you don't know what you're listening for. (It also gives you a way to construct solos out of nothing, if you don't "hear" any; I've written a few simply by grabbing some chord tones and filling in stuff around them that turned out great with a bit of polish.)
Quote by kean1251

the other guys covered it already- you can do that, but it's handier to just use E major pentatonic throughout. that will still work just fine since it has more or less all the same notes as all of those chords.

E major pentatonic has E, F#, G#, B, C#

E major (chord) has E, G#, B (so those notes match just fine to the major pentatonic)

B major (chord) has B, D#, F#, so two of those notes are in your E major pentatonic (B and F# ).

A major (chord) has A, C#, E, so again two of thoes notes are in your E major pentatonic (C# and E).

So if you basically play E major pentatonic, but sort of try to target the E, G# or B when the E major chord is playing, target the B and F# when the B major chord is playing, and target the C# and E when the A major chord is playing, that should work (when I say "target", I just mean those are the notes which will sound "right", so you can stay on them for longer i.e. make them sustained notes).

Even that is arguably overcomplicating things- if you play E major pentatonic throughout and just use your ears to check you're not getting any clashes (and if you are, quickly move onto one of the other notes in the major pentatonic and pretend the clash was intentional and a passing tone), that will, odds are, work just fine too.

My thought process when I play a solo or improvise over a progression- find the scale that works over it. Let rip. (admittedly that will only work fairly well if the progression is diatonic (only contains chords within the key you're playing in), but yours is, so it should. )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 12, 2014,
I can use licks that are E major pentatonic right?
I need to use licks from the desired pentatonic scales right?
Can someone state some sites some I can get licks from?
And can someone give me tabs for e major pentatonic scale?
Quote by kean1251

Have you checked this site? www.google.com
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by kean1251
LOL made my day

Having a giggle, m8?!

Seriously though, the only one who write a solo for you is YOU. You have the tools; use them.
Quote by kean1251

Listen, no offense... but you keep asking questions that have already been answered for you multiple times in this thread. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but you should also listen when people are giving you solid advice.

I hate to be that guy, but I really think you should go over the basics of theory since you're having trouble understanding this. You really shouldn't jump into scales if you have no clue how to form them, or even use them properly.
Last edited by b00m at May 13, 2014,
Your thinking is completely wrong here, your trying to figure out what notes you can play instead of wat notes you want to play. You should work on your ear more so you can translate what's in your head to your fingers. Brushing up on some theory can help as well.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Okay this is enough , thanks guys, I appreciate you all,
Am just a begginer, i stoped tabbing song, and willing to learn "whats the
guitar really all about"
Last edited by kean1251 at May 13, 2014,