I´m a guitar and bass player and i would like to know what would be the best amp for both uses (guitar and bass) under US$ 1,000.00

I know about the ´59 Fender Bassman, but that´s out of my budget.

I´m trying to set it with a guitar head, a bass head and a Fender Bassman 1x15 Pro 115 cabinet.

My sound taste is quite wide: from blues vintage y jazz to System of a Down and 90's Brit Bands.

Thank you.
Why don't you just buy two amps? That way you'll get better tones (the bass amp will sound better for bass and the guitar amp will sound better for guitar). The new Peavey Vypyr is designed for both guitar and bass but it's pretty cheap and may not be what you are looking for.

You could of course get a modeler that has both guitar and bass models and just play it through a full range speaker.

You can play the bass through a guitar head but you'll need bass speakers. And I don't know what guitar will sound like through bass speakers.

Just get both. You can get both a decent guitar amp and a decent bass amp for $1000 (split the budget - $500 for guitar amp and $500 for bass amp).

Also, do you already own a guitar/bass amp?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarine

Thank you for your important contribution.

I wish i could find a balance between saving space in my room and at the same time keeping the quality of my Fender USA Telecaster and my Fender P Bass MIM.

Yesterday i brought that Fender Bassman 1x15 for testing with my Orange Micro Terror guitar amp head.

Let me see how it will work for sharing with you.
Last edited by radioerick at May 13, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
And I don't know what guitar will sound like through bass speakers.

I tried it once with my ESP EC-50 through my Fender Rumble 30. The biggest problem is that the bass amp doesn't replicate the high frequencies very well. Other than that, it sounds fairly similar to my bass, just not as good.

In short, you can play a guitar through a bass amp, it just won't sound great.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
It's possible to use both through a single setup. The most important component is the speaker/cabinet. Most bass players these days buy a cabinet that has a wider range than the usual guitar cabinet.

Dirty little secret #1: look for a cabinet like the Carvin LS1503. This cabinet has a 15" LF driver, a 6" mids driver and a 1" tweeter and will handle up to 600W (perhaps beyond). It's designed as a Pro Audio (PA-type) speaker. At around $279 (I'm going to have to pull up the Carvin site to recheck some of these prices), it's one of the great speaker cabinet bargains out there.

http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/product_images/s/779/ls1503__11694_zoom.jpg

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1503

Buy a power amp. You can feed all kinds of preamps into a power amp, including various modelers, such as a Pod XT, Pod X3, Bass Pod XT, Pod HD. Carvin has power amps that have 1000-1500W that are under $300 (check out the HD1500, for example). Read the specs before you object that it's got TOO much power. $299

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/HD1500

The remaining piece is the preamp (such as the modelers mentioned or maybe even an all-tube preamp). I picked up a Bass Pod XT bean for under $90. It models a wide range of well-known bass amps/cabinets, including things like the Ampeg SVT. A lot of bass amps (including a Bassman) had, essentially, a baked-in sound, and this Pod did/does a great job of replicating them without forcing you to cart around a 130 lb head and a 150 lb cabinet. Pod HDs were going for around $200 back around Christmas (dunno why, exactly, since Line 6 hasn't replaced them with an "X" model yet, as they did with the HD500).

When you're done, you'll have spent under $1000 and you'll have a rig that will be more than gig-worthy. Simply adding another speaker cabinet will allow you to handle even the largest of venues...
Last edited by dspellman at May 13, 2014,
For real gigging, rehearsals with other musicians, etc., I have absolutely no idea.

For solo/home/studio use, I would note that the Yamaha THR10 modelling amp has both guitar and bass settings, and is a lot of bang for the buck at under $300. I have both electric and bass guitars, and have my "full" size guitar amp and my "full" size bass amp, but a lot of the time, I just want something to noodle out some ideas, or jam solo, or play with a wide variety of tones. This thing is really impressive for that.

So, if you see yourself making use of something like that, you could probably score the THR10 for $250 and have $750 for a higher wattage, gigging amp solution.

Just a thought. I've been on a Yamaha honeymoon for a few weeks, from getting new (to me) Yamaha guitar and this amp, so note I may be a bit biased till this honeymoon phase wears off.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Get a 100W tube guitar head that's more vintage voiced and a 4x10 or 6x10 bass cabinet without a tweeter. There were very little difference between a tube guitar and bass amp designs back in the days. 10s sound great on both guitar and bass. Keeping it under $1000 is going to be the real challenge. Are you planning on gigging? The stuff I recommended was with the intention of playing loud. But if it's for home practice, you can get a smaller amp and cabinet. For the amp, anything would work. Look something that's 30-50W and clean oriented though. A 210 or 115 would work. But try to get a compact cab so it's not completely bassey. And again, no tweeters.

I was once trying out some basses through an old Ampeg V4B through an 810 and the tone was simply superb. The salesperson came over and plugged a a Strat into it and it just sounded like a really good guitar amp. You wouldn't be able to tell it was a bass amp just from listening to it. It was a non-MV amp but the natural gain worked well for both guitar and bass. The tone was much better than what you normally find in the modern class D amps and what you would find from modellers. The price for the amp and cab was only a little over $1000. The only reason I have trouble recommending it is the fact that it's a 100W non-MV amp and it's huge.
An old silverface Bassman with an OD pedal in front of it should cover most sounds you want. My Bassman cost me $450, my 2x12 costed $250, and my Bad Monkey was $40. That fits right into your budget, our you can go higher if you want a 4x12 or a Blackface instead of a Silverface.
Quote by SexyBeast810
I tried it once with my ESP EC-50 through my Fender Rumble 30. The biggest problem is that the bass amp doesn't replicate the high frequencies very well. Other than that, it sounds fairly similar to my bass, just not as good.

In short, you can play a guitar through a bass amp, it just won't sound great.

Josh Homme disagrees.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Gheymix
An old silverface Bassman with an OD pedal in front of it should cover most sounds you want. My Bassman cost me $450, my 2x12 costed $250, and my Bad Monkey was $40. That fits right into your budget, our you can go higher if you want a 4x12 or a Blackface instead of a Silverface.

+1 i have a '68 bassman paid $300ish, and it goes through guitar cabs for me (i have a bass amp 2x10+tweeter) but the bassman did find with a bass in a cab.

if i were to do this, i would get a powered wedge (or wedge and proper amp).

buy two preamps. one for a guitar one for a bass your preferences and switch them when you change from guitar to bass.

may be over budget.

or buy a nice bass amp. mine is a Genz Benz M-Line 200. not huge, but sounds great. i think i paid $150 or so.

then buy a guitar amp that fits what you want from a guitar.

if you have more left, get a 1x15" and run it with the bass amp with the speaker connected properly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Before i got my Peavey Classic 30 i was using a small bass amp to run my guitar through,The tones just were'nt there though.Everything sounded dull and lifeless,Even with an od pedal through with the treble up.Much more clarity with a guitar amp.If you're spending a grand i would'nt recomend a bass amp for guitar,You don't wanna spend that and be disapointed with the sound you get.Unless you go Fender Bassman of course,I've heard they sound good with a guitar.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at May 14, 2014,
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Peavey Vypyr VIP amps. They are guitar, bass and acoustic amps. It is not tube, but it will work and sound decent

You can use a guitar head into a cab with EVM 12L's and that will work fine for guitar and bass
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate