Yes I know, everyone hates these threads. I currently own a Peavey Windsor half stack, I shall be keeping the cab and selling the head as I am sick of only having one channel which more or less cannot have a clean sound. Really all I need is a head with a decent sounding clean channel, I cannot afford that much at the minute as yous can see (Jobs giving me shitty hours, blame them).

My bands genre: Alternative / pop punk
Budget: £300
Condition: New or used, I really don't mind as long as its in good working order.

I shall be running a boss me 70 through this for effects/distortion obviously, with a Gibson SG.

Thanks in advance guys.

My bands page if yous want to check us out and hear our sound.

www.facebook.com/foreignaffairsNI
Irons
The jet city gets my vote too.
It doesn't really have a clean channel if you get the high gain version, but imo the distortion's worth it.

And I'll fit eminence V12s or WGS vintage 30s or whatever similar sounding speaker you can find there for cheap, that's gonna make a lot of difference too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by anguskilminster
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm
These seem to get lot of praise round here, and well within your budget!!

A great amp, but I'm not sure it's the best suggestion for cleans.

I have the 20 watt version (so admittedly not a direct comparison), and the crunch channel (which is the cleaner of it's two channels) starts breaking up with the gain at 1. The 50 watter will probably have a bit more headroom, but even so it's not a clean clean amp.

For that budget, you should be able to find a used Laney VC30 - the clean channel on that stays clean as far up as I've ever needed to take it with my band. OK, it's a combo, not a head, but you could power your current cab with it as it has an output for a extension cab.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ that's what i was thinking

gear 4 music does what has the rep of being a higher wattage blues junior in a head format (under its own brand name). I have no idea how good it is, I've never tried it- but it might be worth considering if cleans are the main priority. I seem to remember it only has the one impedance though (8 ohms? not sure) so bear that in mind, your cab needs to match.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I might be asking a stupid one now but..
If you're using your boss for distortion, then why doesn't your Windsor have a clean setting?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

You can get Peavey Classics in head form too. The JCA50 head is a fine suggestion as well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey ValveKings are dirt cheap and are one of my favorite clean amps.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Laney does sweet clean tone. If you just turn the gain down on your current amp, you might find what you are looking for though. It's not Fender/Vox clean but it doesn't totally suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJdexN0D6qM
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 13, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
Peavey ValveKings are dirt cheap and are one of my favorite clean amps.

good call, forgot about that

i'd trust that a lot more than the g4m one i suggested
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The JCA50H cleans suck. Thin and bright. Even the 20 watt, single channel JCA has better cleans. Not to say that I don't like the amp, but that is the last thing I would buy for cleans.