Where abouts are you in the UK? Dawsons own brand 'Redwood', although cheap give pretty good bang for buck, I've gigged the hell out of mine, and though I've swapped it out in my rig for a fender Marcus Miller sig. now, it still sounds pretty good, obviously not as good as a Fender/upper range guitar, but brilliant for a beginners guitar, and plays nicely too.
As long as you have a decent amp the Redwood bass range (mostly sub £200) are going to serve you well.
Here's the one I have: www.dawsons.co.uk/redwood-rb150-bass-guitar-white
I should mention the fact that my high school had the Yamaha in your post, it never felt as good or as well built as my redwood, and the sound was harsher, and not as smooth.
Last edited by Boreesimo at May 12, 2014,
Well; it is difficult to offer alternatives because you are in the U.K. and things cost more over there. As for the Yamaha TRBX-174, it is a good, no-frills bass. Yamaha is well-known for building quality stuff (even their low-end stuff). It should serve you well for quite some time.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Get the Yamaha.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Spaz91
Get something second hand!

Actually, that is a good idea! Hell; Jon might even have something to sell you!
As much fun as my fretless Laguna four-string is to play, I will never again consider a fretless bass unless it has fret lines. There is just too much room for error on an unmarked fingerboard.
You've got to learn the trick of doing subtle slides to get to the right intonation. Done badly it sounds really sloppy, do right it sounds perfect.

I think I like partial fretlines best, they look cool.