So, I will perform Gary Moore's Parisienne Walkways at my school in a month and I really want to do the part where Gary just hits a note and the note lasts forever, people go crazy when he does that. So, how is he able to sustain that note for such a long time? Pedals? Finger techniques?
Practice and a propper set up, or you can do it by mechanical means such as a sustainer pedal, the Fernandez sustainer or an ebow. There was a thread in gg&a that had another option but I can't remember it. It's only 2 or three pages deep.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
where's cathbard when you need him?

how GM does it is really loud volume. stand in the right place and the vibration from that high volume will make your string vibrate indefinitely.

EDIT: ^ yeah what GG said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 12, 2014,
Merely good setup will not get you that 20 sec sustain. Before a show, a tech would try to hold that note at various places on stage. When he found the sweet spot, he'd mark the spot with chalk for Gary.

In other words, you're better off playing the studio version.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
just hum the note into a microphone and hope nobody notices.. that's what i do
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Gary Moore and Santana both plot the stage for sweet spots. I bet all the pros do that. The amp is up so loud it makes the guitar and pickups vibrate on a sympathetic vibration, creating an endless loop signal. You also have to be able to hold the string firmly for great intonation for a really nice twang...that's hard to do but that's what practice is for. You will never be able to have a local venue that will allow you to crank up your equipment to get those sound pressures for that kind of sustain.At regular volume you can try and crank up your distorter but that usually sounds cheap and crappy. The other way is to use a compressor. I use to play Gary Moore's Still Got the Blues around town using a Les Paul and a Tube Screamer. There's this note that climaxes on the 22nd fret that sustains forever. A compressor pedal made that note believable at low volume (as long as I could hold a full bend at the 22nd fret. which was not always possible.)