I'm a huge fan of all styles of metal, sludgy doom, tight thrash and power metal, and saturated black metal.
My question is, is there an amp that is good for all these styles.

Requirements
At least 2 channels, one of them being a really good clean channel (my 6505 is frustrating in this department).
Tube

So far I've looked at the Engl Powerball II (haven't had the chance to try one though)
The Diezel VH4 will do all this but it's far out of my price range.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Have you looked at Mesa Boogie amps? A Dual Rectifier or Mark IV would suit you nicely. Both have great cleans and very versatile distortion.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
^+1 look at Splawn amps also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Line 6 Spider IV

I mean the thing is so fuuuucking brutal. Also, it's tubier than any other SS amp on the market. All of the pros use them but they don't tell anyone about this secret.

Ask anyone on here, they'll tell you how magnificent it is. Especially at higher volumes. Problem is, no one here will recommend it because they're following the same path as their idols. Seriously, Lil Wayne uses it! LIL WAYNE(OMG)! There's a good reason for that, too. He knows what he's doing better than anyone else.

But seriously, Mesa seems like a good option for you.
Mesa Mark IV, Roadster, Recto, or a Splawn Nitro
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Hell an old DSL100 would work great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 on the old DSLs. A lot of metal bands from any metal genre use/used Marshalls.
This might not apply to you, but I've gone from a thrash sound with a borrowed jcm800 to a more death sound with a valvestate 8100 (both as in the band Death as in the metal genre, albeit the old school variant) to an Orange Micro Terror. I know the 8100 gets quite some criticism, quite a bit of it being fair criticism (It really has the tone some people want, and not the tone at all most people want). The Orange Micro Terror is the smallest Orange on the market, with just 20w of power and a single valve in the pre-amp (and it being the size of a toy makes it laughable and handy). I can't wait to get a decent Orange someday, however, this tiny piece of equipment + my Boss HM-2 gives me a decent and unique thrash sound (maybe a bit too filthy for the super tight thrash) with my Jackson dk2m on the bridge pickup. And with the neck pickup I get some of the sleaziest slow rattling doom sounds possible (think Electric Wizard). And I've found it to be loud enough for rehearsals with a drummer going berserk and a bassist pounding his strings like an orangutan on speed, and shows with a PA.

All of that aside, the jcm800 would be the most versatile out of all amps I know of. Sorry for the whole Orange MT sales pitch. I've seen the usual thrash bands use them, I've seen some doom bands use them. I suspect more doom guitarists would use em if Orange ever went bust. And they all get a very good sound in both genres, and the jcm800 is usable in anything from sped up CGI video clip power metal to ridiculous blood regurgitating black metal. I would look into pedals as well. Some tweaking and a Ibanez Tubescreamer or a Boss FZ-2 really shows how versatile this amp can be (getting all sorts of sounds from the Tubescreamer, and a real doom sound with the FZ-2, and that just are two pedals). I've always found an Engl to be too "Very-high-gain-we've-got-triggers-on-all-the-drum-stuff-modern-melo-death-metal-slaaayer". Yes, I do know these are decent amps, and I've seen bands use Engl amps, and I really enjoyed their music and/or guitar sound, it's just my not so humble opinion.
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
You have a 6505? Try putting a lower gain preamp tube in position #1. A 12AT7/5751 will give you less gain so your clean channel will be cleaner. However, your lead channel will lose some gain but the 6505 has enough head room you'll just have to raise the gain on that side. Just a suggestion that will cost you like $17 for a quality preamp tube.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
If you like your 6505 consider XXX or 3120. 3 channels and a clean channel thats actually not utter shit.
It definetly gets the uber tight Thrash (just ask Gary Holt of Exodus, or listen the Tempo Of The Damned album) and saturated black metal covered but I am not sure if its a good amp for loose, sludgy doom.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by classicrocker01
Mesa Mark IV, Roadster, Recto, or a Splawn Nitro

i have a MKIV and a Nitro (KT88) i don't think either would deliver that much versatility without pedals

the MKIV does really open up with some OD's. i run my second channel boosted hard with a timmy, and a Zendrive for the lead channel to sweeten and really boost it up. then i get a good clean, really tight rhythm and a really smooth heavey and highly melodic lead.

the nitro is a hell of an amp, but i don't think it would suit anything,

i have the Fryette Sig:X and that does really cover some ground. it can do about anything.

plus as said look into mesa.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
As a stepping stone probably I'd say Marshall JCM800 or DSL2000 and you can build from there with overdrive/distortion units. You can also get a multi channel one that can do everything for crazy big $$$ like the VHT/Fryette Sig 6.
Quote by MaaZeus
If you like your 6505 consider XXX or 3120. 3 channels and a clean channel thats actually not utter shit.
It definetly gets the uber tight Thrash (just ask Gary Holt of Exodus, or listen the Tempo Of The Damned album) and saturated black metal covered but I am not sure if its a good amp for loose, sludgy doom.

Interesting...may try this with mine.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by diabolical
Gary used the middle (crunch) channel with TS808 to get his sound (saw him live), the XXX lead channel is utter sh*t & fizz.

I had a Bugera 333 and I agree, the lead channel sucks. Way to compressed and it would get very undefined very quickly if the gain was over 11 o'clock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I had a Bugera 333 and I agree, the lead channel sucks. Way to compressed and it would get very undefined very quickly if the gain was over 11 o'clock.

i am not familiar with the Bugera, but assuming it is extremely similar to the XXX in tone (well that is what it was deigned as), i agree that the lead channel isn't its strong suit. pretty shitty IMO.

the JSX IMO is far superior in most (if for not near every way) ways. more musical sounding IMO. the jsx is more versatile and just kind of better all around. it does sound a little different due to different power tubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Peavey 5150 II/6505+
Peavey JSX/XXX II
Mesa Roadster/Road King
Orange Rockerverb MkII
Orange TH100 (you may like this one a lot)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Peavey 5150 II/6505+
Peavey JSX/XXX II
Mesa Roadster/Road King
Orange Rockerverb MkII
Orange TH100 (you may like this one a lot)

i am not sure if i would put it in order that way. 5150's have a shit ton of gain, relatively poor cleans. and it is nice and tight with a boost, but not sludgy. i owned one for a short while.

i would put mesa on there, but if you want something either a roadster or a Trem-o-verb. i love mine paid like under $700 with new power tubes. you get two channels, and four modes, basically two channels, vintage high gain/clean and on the other a modern gain/blues. the vintage channel is great i like it better for chugging.

BUT you won't get it really tight.

roadster would probably be better (i haven't played one, but i have liked what i have heard on demos.

you really have to play with the oranges. some people love them and some not as much. i like the rockerverb 50mkII over the 100 watt. however i prefer the thunderverbs.

but for less than the price of a roadster, i got a mKIV and the aforementioned trem-o-verb. $780 for the MKIV ~$700 for the trem-o-verb.

really gives what you would need from mesa. mainly mesa has two amps the rectifiers and the marks, just with different variants.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Robbgnarly

Yeah, but TS wants the amp also being capable of very saturated black metal and such. The way I see it the amp fits the bill in every regard. Crunch channel is also capable of metal with or without boost and should be used for everything sensible but its nice to have the insanity switch available if needed...

Something JSX MIGHT lack because if I have understood correctly the Lead channel on that is actually Crunch channel from XXX (correct me if I am wrong) and Clean and Crunch channels are based on Classic 30.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah, but TS wants the amp also being capable of very saturated black metal and such. The way I see it the amp fits the bill in every regard. Crunch channel is also capable of metal with or without boost and should be used for everything sensible but its nice to have the insanity switch available if needed...

Something JSX MIGHT lack because if I have understood correctly the Lead channel on that is actually Crunch channel from XXX (correct me if I am wrong) and Clean and Crunch channels are based on Classic 30.

I can see the XXX being able to do Black metal

The JSX is basically a XXX with the classic clean channel. the same crunch channel and the JSX has a more refined lead channel, and the fat switches. But they are very similar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate