Page 1 of 2
Hey guys I just had to exchange my klipsch s4 headphones because they broke and need to buy a new pair of headphones. Looking to spend $100 to$150. I want them to sound as good as possible and would prefer in ear headphones that I could use at the gym. Any recommendations would be appreciated, and lets please not mention dr dre or beats in this thread :P
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes. -Jimi Hendrix
"As good as possible"

"In-ear headphones"

Pick one.

Edit: And ignore anyone who says Beats, they're just trolling you
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by 95thFallout
I want them to sound as good as possible and would prefer in ear

That's like saying you want a good laptop for gaming.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
"As good as possible"

"In-ear headphones"

Pick one.

Hey mister. Beats represent fantastic value for money, with cutting edge aesthetics and a crisp balanced sound.
Quote by Duffman123
bass bass bass bass bass bass bass bass and shit

Fixd.
@Duff: C'mon, could you really live with yourself if somebody asked for your advice and bought some because they believed you?
Quote by Oyface
Fixd.

Clearly somebody is bitter that they got Audio-Technicas and not Beats for christmas.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
@Duff: C'mon, could you really live with yourself if somebody asked for your advice and bought some because they believed you?

Mate, I'm just giving my expertise which I've built up over the years from having tested 76 pairs of headphones and earphones.
Last edited by Duffman123 at May 12, 2014,
Need more details. and just get a cheap pair of earbuds for the gym and get real headphones for everything else.
i think we all know what you really need...
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Duffman123
Clearly somebody is bitter that they got Audio-Technicas and not Beats for christmas.

Clearly somebody is assuming everyone gets expensive shit every christmas.

And for your information, I have a pair of Superlux headphones which work just fine, for not even a third of the price.

Quote by Eastwinn
i think we all know what you really need...

Fog-machine? Or has everyone already forgotten about that?
Last edited by Oyface at May 12, 2014,
Do you really want $150 in-ear headphones to use in the gym?
Really solid ones that are worth that, factoring in sweat might ruin them and accidentally snapping the cable while using some gym device, probably don't exist
I'd just get some Panasonic RP-HJE120 for that and they're like $5, then spend the rest on some proper closed ones
Quote by DisarmGoliath
lol
ggg1 ggg3

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The $25ish dollar skullcandy earbuds are great, sounds like beats earbuds (that I had) and if you usually go through a lot of headphones you can get the $4 insurance at radioshack and keep replacing them, like I do, since I break headphones nearly every month.

There's no reason to pay more, as long as you get headphones better than generic $5-10 ones you should be good to go.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by Br0c00ler
The $25ish dollar skullcandy earbuds are great, sounds like beats earbuds (that I had) and if you usually go through a lot of headphones you can get the $4 insurance at radioshack and keep replacing them, like I do, since I break headphones nearly every month.

There's no reason to pay more, as long as you get headphones better than generic $5-10 ones you should be good to go.

Neither Beats, or Skullcandy earbuds (that I know of) are better than a cheap pair of earphones. You're paying for the branding and the fancy aesthetics, not the audio quality or components.
150?

NO!

get a pair of 50 dollar Sony noise cancelling ear buds. You won't regret it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Neither Beats, or Skullcandy earbuds (that I know of) are better than a cheap pair of earphones. You're paying for the branding and the fancy aesthetics, not the audio quality or components.

I get a cheaper Sennheiser pair because I like those German bastards and they last a bit longer. Probably not worth it but I can't be bothered to go buy more all the time.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I get a cheaper Sennheiser pair because I like those German bastards and they last a bit longer. Probably not worth it but I can't be bothered to go buy more all the time.

Nah, Sennheiser are good because a) they're a proper audio company, so less likely to bullshit you with branding and b) they don't bloat their prices as much.

I don't particularly love earphones or headphones, but if I do use headphones (usually to check a mix doesn't fall apart through headphones) it's a pair of cheap Sennheiser HD201's. Got no real need for earphones as I don't listen to music while out much, though.
I'm going to be nice now and recommend Soundmagic. The E10s are great on a budget and have a really great cord that doesn't tangle like most earphones. The E30s if you want to spend a bit more for better sound quality. And they go over your ears which means less chance of falling out when you're at the gym.

From my experience, Sennheiser earphones have poor quality control.
Last edited by Duffman123 at May 12, 2014,
Sound of Life: SOL V10's are legit at $100 and better than most $150-200 non-studio headphones.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Duffman123
I'm going to be nice now and recommend Soundmagic. The E10s are great on a budget and have a really great cord that doesn't tangle like most earphones. The E30s if you want to spend a bit more for better sound quality. And they go over your ears which means less chance off falling out when you're at the gym.

From my experience, Sennheiser earphones have poor quality control.

Depends on the model, really. Some of their ultra-cheap stuff is iffy, but I've had my HD201's since 2008 or something and never broken despite frequently being squished up inside my travelling 'recording' bag amongst mic boxes and pop filters and such

If people really wanted the best, in terms of earbuds, they'd get custom moulds taken and a pair of in ear monitors, anyway. Costs a lot, but at least they really will block out external noise, and are usually made to last much better.
Yeah I'm just going on my experience with their cheaper (£30ish) earphones. I think I went through 3 pairs a few years ago and finally gave up after they kept cutting out in one ear. Their headphones look a lot better quality.
in-ear phones can be good, and at $150, they will be. those who tell you it can't are probably also dipshits who run their shitty ass cans directly from their ipod or whatever shitty source they use.

Quote by fanapathy

then spend the rest on some proper closed ones

>proper
>closed

good one m8
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cianyx
in-ear phones can be good, and at $150, they will be. those who tell you it can't are probably also dipshits who run their shitty ass cans directly from their ipod or whatever shitty source they use.

Or sound engineers

Do you want me to humour you, or point out why earphones are inferior to headphones, let alone speakers? I'm not saying earphones can't be decent, but for $150 you won't get anything as good as a decent pair of headphones.

>proper
>closed

good one m8

What do you even mean by this? Referring to open-back headphones being better (in this case, they wouldn't be) or do you not understand what he means by closed back?
For me I'd go Final audio adagio III or Heaven II in that price range. Maybe Beyerdynamic Dx120. A lot of people like the lower priced Etymotic too but I'm not a fan of the flanges.

source: i am a wannable iem nerd running $400 heir audios.

also go head-fi.org, there are multiple reviews for every headphone and iem out there.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Using open back headphones at the gym, you might as well be the guy who everybody hates who blares his terrible music through his shitty iPhone speaker.

Are clip on earphones still made? Or is that passé? It might be a good enough compromise between portability and sound quality.
Quote by E7#9
Using open back headphones at the gym, you might as well be the guy who everybody hates who blares his terrible music through his shitty iPhone speaker.

open-back headphones honestly aren't that leaky. At least, mine aren't. Only when I'm listening at stupid high volumes does it become a nuisance, and I don't listen to music that high.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by DisarmGoliath

If people really wanted the best, in terms of earbuds, they'd get custom moulds taken and a pair of in ear monitors, anyway. Costs a lot, but at least they really will block out external noise, and are usually made to last much better.

quality advantage of customs is very minor. biggest benefit is isolation which can differ anyway between brands. it's a diminishing returns thing. customs are pointless imo until your monitors get past the £400 price point.

Quote by E7#9

Are clip on earphones still made? Or is that passé? It might be a good enough compromise between portability and sound quality.

yeah they are but durability has always been a concern with clip ons. they are always cheap too since for quality you either go with full size cans or iems.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
For me I'd go Final audio adagio III or Heaven II in that price range. Maybe Beyerdynamic Dx120. A lot of people like the lower priced Etymotic too but I'm not a fan of the flanges.

source: i am a wannable iem nerd running $400 heir audios.

also go head-fi.org, there are multiple reviews for every headphone and iem out there.

Now, this I can approve. Even the ~£100 universal-fit Etymotics are better than other suggestions here, although obviously it depends on whether you want something just to listen to with compromise (so cheap and cheerful) or something aimed at reducing the compromise.

I've heard these are pretty good (link) from a friend, his whole band run one of the models. Don't use 'em myself, but got no need for IEM's atm.

Quote by theguitarist
quality advantage of customs is very minor. biggest benefit is isolation which can differ anyway between brands. it's a diminishing returns thing. customs are pointless imo until your monitors get past the £400 price point.

True, but my point would be that there's little point in sinking money into 'good' earphones unless you're gonna go all out and get some custom IEM's with decent drivers E.g. basically what you're saying.
btw someone rich buy me these. i will give u anything:

http://final-audio-design.com/en/archives/107

£1100

guy I bought my heir audios off of was selling off his whole iem collection to buy a pair. he said they were heaven and he had finally reached that place where he would never need an upgrade again.

i bet he's eyeing up the £3000 piano fortes now.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Now, this I can approve. Even the ~£100 universal-fit Etymotics are better than other suggestions here, although obviously it depends on whether you want something just to listen to with compromise (so cheap and cheerful) or something aimed at reducing the compromise.

I've heard these are pretty good (link) from a friend, his whole band run one of the models. Don't use 'em myself, but got no need for IEM's atm.

True, but my point would be that there's little point in sinking money into 'good' earphones unless you're gonna go all out and get some custom IEM's with decent drivers E.g. basically what you're saying.

kinda. I'd say this guy's price range is okay if you're not picky/not a frequency nerd. then £100-£200 is okay for the fussier ones. I mean I'm still happy with my UE triple fi 10s I use as a spare (~£250) but many regard those as the 'perfect' 200-300 triple driver iems.

edit: westones are decent in the high end, I'm not sure about their lower end stuff. I was contemplating buying some 4Rs if I couldn't get hold of my heir audios.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by DisarmGoliath

"Paying for branding" is more of a Beats thing, I wouldn't consider Skullcandy to be in that category unless you think $25 great sounding earbuds are overpriced lol. It's convenience too, some people just want to be able to walk into a Best Buy or a Radioshack and get something reasonably good rather than spend hours/days arguing and weighing their options like their life depended on their outdoors headphones.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by theguitarist

kinda. I'd say this guy's price range is okay if you're not picky/not a frequency nerd. then £100-£200 is okay for the fussier ones. I mean I'm still happy with my UE triple fi 10s I use as a spare (~£250) but many regard those as the 'perfect' 200-300 triple driver iems.

Well, my main problem is that for £100-200 you could get a pair of headphones that are a) sonically superior, and b) isolate external noise far better, which is one of the highest priorities if someone's gonna be using them in noisy environments like a gym and on public transport/while out and about, to prevent them cranking them to dangerous levels just to drown out other noise.

Once you start to get into custom moulds, it eliminates a lot of the noise problems people typically turn up to avoid, or at least reduces their level dramatically, and then you can worry more about how accurate they are (which is likely to be decent for any IEM's as you rarely see expensive moulds taken to house something cheap and nasty lol.

I do get what you're saying, I'm just not a huge fan of earphones as it is, let alone when they're worn in noisy environments.
Sry the last thing I ever think about when it comes to in-ear headphones is audio quality. I can't bullshit myself into thinking that I can hear that great a difference between headsets that are sitting right in my ear canal, I don't have the ears for it. Not to mention they're in-ear buds so I don't spend a great deal of money/time trying out a ton of em.

I would be more concerned with comfort & durability. Anyways, I DID pick up a set of ATH-CKP500s that I find very comfortable and they're my one-all end all set. I paid for aesthetics and reported comfort on that set. Anything with a single line is also a no-no for me, I've had the head jack extension separate before the buds could get the chance to be yanked out - which is a plus for me.
Quote by Br0c00ler
"Paying for branding" is more of a Beats thing, I wouldn't consider Skullcandy to be in that category unless you think $25 great sounding earbuds are overpriced lol. It's convenience too, some people just want to be able to walk into a Best Buy or a Radioshack and get something reasonably good rather than spend hours/days arguing and weighing their options like their life depended on their outdoors headphones.

That's a fair enough assumption, but I don't rate Skullcandy as being worth the price tag either. I mean, if you're buying a pair of Skullcandy earphones you may as well just buy a pair of $5-10 cheap and cheerful earphones made by Sony/JVC/Sennheiser etc. that are aimed to be entry level stuff for the average person.

I don't wanna go into lecture mode, but earphones in general are flawed vs headphones, which are again flawed (but also have their pro's) vs speakers. Good earphones aim to minimise the level of these flaws, but it's still inherent to the fact you're plugging your ears up and firing sound directly down your ear canal.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well, my main problem is that for £100-200 you could get a pair of headphones that are a) sonically superior, and b) isolate external noise far better, which is one of the highest priorities if someone's gonna be using them in noisy environments like a gym and on public transport/while out and about, to prevent them cranking them to dangerous levels just to drown out other noise.

Once you start to get into custom moulds, it eliminates a lot of the noise problems people typically turn up to avoid, or at least reduces their level dramatically, and then you can worry more about how accurate they are (which is likely to be decent for any IEM's as you rarely see expensive moulds taken to house something cheap and nasty lol.

I do get what you're saying, I'm just not a huge fan of earphones as it is, let alone when they're worn in noisy environments.

between sweat and cumbersomeness, kinda hard to exercise in headphones...

with iems isolation, is pretty much down to bud fit. in the lower price range, there is generally decent isolation since there's no need for a good amount of airflow and they have more solid/enclosed builds than the cheap leaky buds. also depends on the design, like the only downside to my current iems is that the isolation is weak in that I can't really listen to something quiet while on a train, due to the iems being slightly open to give all the drivers air.

my past iems at lower price ranges had no problem isolating in noisy places though and I could easily keep my music on low and be completely blocked out from the world.

also some people have weird ears that make them unsuitable for the standard rubber tips, but memory foam tips work well too.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 2