I just got my 6505+ 112 and of course I got into the groove of improving my guitar rig so after a week with my new amp I got curious and googled about pedals. I got the idea of getting a noise gate pedal. I came upon the Boss NS-2. I'm sure a lot of you know what it is.

Now I'm going pick up a footswitch for my amp that I've already ordered to toggle between channels, I'm thinking should I get the NS-2 while I'm at the store? Any negatives I should know about? Thanks.
Get it. If you need a power adapter, make sure to get the correct one.

Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Get the ISP decimator instead. I had both before and you will lose some high end and sustain with boss ns2. I run my ISP decimator with my peavey jsx half stack and it sounds clear with the tone intact. But make sure to get a power supply because it likes to eat 9vs pretty quick.
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
NS-2 is OK for what you need. For about the same price I prefer the MXR noise gate - more options. ISP seems to be a popular choice but they became crazily expensive. Rocktron Hush is also fine if you want it to filter noise in the fx loop. Personally I have the MXr but I have used the NS-2 in the studio with other bands and it is fine.
Yeah it's a great pedal for the money and I just love using it in the x pattern so it cancels preamp and guitar signal noise. Sure an ISP is probably a little better quality but in my experience the NS-2 can't be beat for option, price and quality haha it's a Boss tank.
If you're patience you can find a used ISP decimator for under $100. They pop up every now and then on craigslist and ebay. I bought my G-String version for a hundred dollar less than its new price.
Quote by Paroxysm
If you're patience you can find a used ISP decimator for under $100. They pop up every now and then on craigslist and ebay. I bought my G-String version for a hundred dollar less than its new price.

+1

and pop in a JJ 12at7 for v1. $10-$12 as easy to install like pulling a cord out of a wall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by megaluisdeth
Get the ISP decimator instead. I had both before and you will lose some high end and sustain with boss ns2. I run my ISP decimator with my peavey jsx half stack and it sounds clear with the tone intact. But make sure to get a power supply because it likes to eat 9vs pretty quick.

See, I haven't experienced that at all. If anything, I get a mild boost when I run my NS-2 and it makes the tone a tad brighter. No tone degradation at all. Also, sustain is only sacrificed if you set the NS-2 too aggressively. Basically, I set mine only aggressive enough to get rid of preamp noise and that's basically all it does (...which is pure win).
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
See, I haven't experienced that at all. If anything, I get a mild boost when I run my NS-2 and it makes the tone a tad brighter. No tone degradation at all. Also, sustain is only sacrificed if you set the NS-2 too aggressively. Basically, I set mine only aggressive enough to get rid of preamp noise and that's basically all it does (...which is pure win).

Have to say, I find this too with my 6505 combo.
Quote by KailM

+1 this was my experience as well.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by KailM

I used my NS-2 on 3 different 5150/6505/+'s and had the same you listed above.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Interesting. Think it's something to do with FX loops on the Peaveys? Or does it generally happen with most amps?

But with all this said, i'd still suggest an NS-2. Great durability, pretty transparent sound (aside from what we've mentioned) and dirt cheap, even in the UK!
Last edited by ambler3 at May 13, 2014,
^ i noticed a boost with my ns2 as well and i don't have a peavey.

i prefer the decimator but the boss will do the job (with the x-pattern method at least), is cheaper, and can be run both in front of the amp and in the loop at the same time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok I will try the NS-2. I was also thinking about an MXR EQ pedal and using it as a power soak like turning down the volume on the pedal but turning up the volume on the amp, so the tubes will shine at lower volumes. Is this a good idea?

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/mxr-m-108-ten-band-graphic-eq

In my mind, the NS-2 and the MXR EQ Pedal would be great additions to my sound but I've never had a pedal in my life so I lack experience with brands etc.
Last edited by KillerPhail at May 13, 2014,
Quote by KillerPhail
Ok I will try the NS-2. I was also thinking about an MXR EQ pedal and using it as a power soak like turning down the volume on the pedal but turning up the volume on the amp, so the tubes will shine at lower volumes. Is this a good idea?

I'm not sure that'll really do much unless the master volume in the amp is kind of hair triggery. all that'll do (I think) is act like another master volume. you won't be pushing the power tubes any harder, in fact less.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm not sure that'll really do much unless the master volume in the amp is kind of hair triggery. all that'll do (I think) is act like another master volume. you won't be pushing the power tubes any harder, in fact less.

hmm ok, that idea was just something I saw a comment on youtube say lol. I still want an EQ pedal so I'll try the MXR because it looks cooler than the Boss.
Mxr 10 band is almost a must for the 5150/6505. Probably for your + as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Dave_Mc

I can verify this -- it really doesn't sound much (if any) different running the pedal level up and the post gain down. It can be nice for making the post gain knob a little less touchy though.

That said, get an MXR 10-band anyway. Thank me later.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KillerPhail
(a) hmm ok, that idea was just something I saw a comment on youtube say lol. (b) I still want an EQ pedal so I'll try the MXR because it looks cooler than the Boss.

(a) Yeah. 87% (I made that number up) of guitarists are full of it.

Seriously, though, only listen to guitar players (better yet, guitar players who know about electronics) if you're sure they know what they're talking about when it comes to gear. Most don't.

(b) No worries.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?