My guitar had been working perfectly, but today I pick it up and everything sounds horrible, and I'm getting terrible tension in low tunings. I have a fairly basic setup, but I don't know how this suddenly happened :0

Set up: Epiphone SG G-400
Diaddrio 11-56 strings
Fender G-Dec (pretty lame practice amp I've had since i was young, still sounds bad open though).
Last edited by auzzietaco at May 13, 2014,
It could be as simple as your guitar is out of tune or as complicated as wiring issues or a crapped out amp. Use other guitars if you have access to them to make sure it's not an amp problem. If it is, then you might need a new amp. For a modeler, go the Fender Mustang V.2 and for tube, go for the Vox AC 4. Both can be found new for under $250 and are cheaper used.
Quote by darrenram1
It could be as simple as your guitar is out of tune or as complicated as wiring issues or a crapped out amp. Use other guitars if you have access to them to make sure it's not an amp problem. If it is, then you might need a new amp. For a modeler, go the Fender Mustang V.2 and for tube, go for the Vox AC 4. Both can be found new for under $250 and are cheaper used.

In Drop C/D standard it sounds out of tune (when it isn't), and in drop A#/C Standard it sounds ok, but is unplayably loose. Also sounds slightly muted too.
I cant' even imagine using 11-56 on a 24.75 scale guitar for A# or C, get some thicker strings.
I'm prettty happy with them. I was using 10s in Drop C, then 11-54 in Drop A. For the last week (when I got the 11-56) they've been perfect, tension wise. Just got very loose and off sounding today.
Quote by auzzietaco
In Drop C/D standard it sounds out of tune (when it isn't)

Could be an intonation issue. Take it to a tech and get him to look at it. Make sure it's set up for drop tunings.
Maybe somehow your bridge got lowered? Maybe your tailpiece moved? Check for cracks or breaks in the neck, they may be subtle. It's odd for a guitar to change of it's own accord, where/how was it stored?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
did you stretch your strings?

lower tuning means that with the same gauge strings get less tension thus looser.

check your relief and make sure that the strings are well on the tuners. also how are they sitting in the nut?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks all for advice. I should probably take it too a tech and get it set up properly, but it was a stupid mistake. Was slightly unplugged from the tuner, therefore giving me an inaccurate reading.