I'm trying to get a tone similar to the one on Death album Symbolic. Here are a couple of samples (forgive my horrible playing, these are rough recordings):

https://soundcloud.com/user258834435/symbolic-tone-test-1 (rhythm sample)

https://soundcloud.com/user258834435/symbolic-tone-test-2 (lead sample)

Could anyone please give suggestions as to what further improvements can be made to the sound? Is the tone in the above samples reasonably accurate or far from it?

Thanks
Last edited by kulhari_shirish at May 13, 2014,
What is your current gear?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Jackson King V, DiMarzio DP228 Crunch Lab on bridge and Line 6 POD Studio GX.

Many people would probably not like the idea of using POD Farm, but right now I'm just experimenting with it. The tones I've got so far aren't half bad though..
With a quick comparisons to the real thing a touch less gain to tighten things up (instead, double track to make it sound heavier if you want to start record stuff) and MAYBE a touch more lows might do the trick. This is about the rhythm section that is.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 13, 2014,
Yes, it means increase bass And definitely less gain, I'd suggest cutting highs/increasing bass too. Chuck has a less fizzy/more chuggy tone in the actual track imo. You should also increase bass and use the neck pickup with the lead tone, to make it smoother.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Yes, it means increase bass And definitely less gain, I'd suggest cutting highs/increasing bass too. Chuck has a less fizzy/more chuggy tone in the actual track imo. You should also increase bass and use the neck pickup with the lead tone, to make it smoother.

Chuck only had a bridge pickup in his BC Rich. I love his rhythm tone but his lead parts were always rather... piercing.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Chuck only had a bridge pickup in his BC Rich. I love his rhythm tone but his lead parts were always rather... piercing.

Yeah, you could probably break bulletproof glass with "the Sound of Perseverance" album leads
Thank you for the suggestions! One more point that I want to clear up. When you say "cut the highs", am I supposed to decrease the treble or cut off the treble using the equalizer?

Also, unfortunately my neck pickup is utter crap (I have some cheap, unknown Jackson KV model and its stock pickups are bad), I can only use the bridge pickup that I recently replaced with a DiMarzio CL.

Is there any alternate way to get a smoother sound (because even I think that my current tone has too much crunch)?

Quote by MaaZeus

About the lead sample that I posted, is it similar to Chuck's lead sound?
Increasing the bass usually smooths out the tone, and a resonance knob too, if you have one. And it means decreasing the highs.
Quote by kulhari_shirish
Thank you for the suggestions! One more point that I want to clear up. When you say "cut the highs", am I supposed to decrease the treble or cut off the treble using the equalizer?

It means turning the treble down just a bit. However the Valvestate Chuck used does have a big spike in the upper midrange/treble (somewhere around 1-3khz I think?) so you might experiment with EQ to regain some of the scratchy, bright pick attack with that.

Just listen the 7 seconds of Symbolic with only one speaker (or just one ear with headphones) to hear only one guitar track and I think you might get something close enough. Remember though that the guitar tone on album has most likely gone through a lot of Post EQ:ing and stuff, the actual guitar tone Chuck might have used could be quite different before all the mixing and mastering happened. To my ears you already have a good starting point with the first link.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
You might want to try messing around with the post EQ in POD farm first. The tone needs to get a bit darker and less fizzy (so less highs, more lows)
Besides that it's pretty decent, I'd just use a tad less gain/drive.
Thanks guys, I'll make adjustments based on your suggestions.

I think that for the lead or solos, I'll keep the tone as is. Maybe I'll introduce a spike in the upper midrange/treble part through the EQ, as MaaZeus said.

But for the rhythm I'll need to decrease the gain and treble a bit, and increase the bass. And double-tracking will give the necessary punch in the final sound...