Hi all,I'm new here and was wondering if I could get some help from you guys.

I have two Acoustic guitars,but I want to get an Electric now. I like most genre's so I'd like to get something very versatile and I'd also like something that gives out quite a full warm tone.

I'm looking at Ibanez guitars,all are are gio's except two and I'd like to get your opinions on them.

My budget is R3000 (about $290) absolute max for the guitar. I'm planning to buy the amp at later stage and I already have my heart set on one.

I'll list them according to price,from lowest to highest.

Secondhand Ibanez SA120 2006 model (R2000/$192)

New Ibanez GRGA32 (R2380/$228)

New Ibanez GRG270 (price depends on color) (blue R2399/$230)

New Ibanez GRX70DX Jump-start bundle or GRG170DX (R2499-R2599/$240-$250)

New SA160FM (R2880/$276)

If you guys have any others in mind that you think I should go for instead,please do let me know. I've been trying to decide on a guitar for about 9 months now and still can't decide!!

Huge THANK YOU in advance,I will appreciate all the help I can get!!
Attachments:
GRGA32_BKF.jpg
grg270_bmb_3r_05.jpg
grx70dxjujb_jumpstart_guitar_package_300.jpeg
SA160FM_BBT_1P_01.jpg
Last edited by GrimR22 at May 20, 2014,
i'd probably go for the Sa160FM. But don't you have a big music store somewhere nearby. I think it's really hard to choose a guitar from the internet unless you know exactly what you are looking for... my advice is go to a music store and buy what ever you think play's best!
Unfortunately I don't. I've been to two music shops,but they small ones and they both literally only had 1 ibanez.

What do you think about the SA120? Do you think that's too expensive for an 8 year old guitar?
Last edited by GrimR22 at May 13, 2014,
Quote by GrimR22
Hi all,I'm new here and was wondering if I could get some help from you guys.

I have two Acoustic guitars,but I want to get an Electric now. I like most genre's so I'd like to get something very versatile and I'd also like something that gives out quite a full warm tone.

I'm looking at Ibanez guitars,all are are gio's except two and I'd like to get your opinions on them.

My budget is R3000 (about $290) absolute max for the guitar. I'm planning to buy the amp at later stage and I already have my heart set on one.

I'll list them according to price,from lowest to highest.

Secondhand Ibanez SA120 2006 model (R2000/$192)

New Ibanez GRGA32 (R2380/$228)

New Ibanez GRG270 (price depends on color) (blue R2399/$230)

New Ibanez GRX70DX Jump-start bundle or GRG170DX (R2499-R2599/$240-$250)

New SA160FM (R2880/$276)

If you guys have any others in mind that you think I should go for instead,please do let me know. I've been trying to decide on a guitar for about 9 months now and still can't decide!!

Huge THANK YOU in advance,I will appreciate all the help I can get!!

For that budget I would strongly suggest you buy a Squier or Mexican Strat. That's a versatile guitar. It's best quality guitars in that price range - they're actually usable. Unless you're simply going to be playing metal, it's the best guitars in your range.
Not sure where you live, but if you have pawn shops nearby you might want to visit them.
But be aware that the guitars there may need work or may not be worth the effort.
If you see/play something you like, don't accept their price.
They often are wrong - too high!
Don't get an Ibanez GIO. When you get a guitar which is the bottom of the bottom of the barrel from a brand things never end well.
A top of the line Squier, one of the Classic Vibes for example are really good. Mexican Strats too. Looking for secondhand is always great.

The currency, is that SA Rand? Is there an eBay or big guitar store you could recommend we look at to find you a bargain?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
Don't get an Ibanez GIO. When you get a guitar which is the bottom of the bottom of the barrel from a brand things never end well.
A top of the line Squier, one of the Classic Vibes for example are really good. Mexican Strats too. Looking for secondhand is always great.

The currency, is that SA Rand? Is there an eBay or big guitar store you could recommend we look at to find you a bargain?

I second this. Don't get the GIO. Getting a SUPER cheap guitar can be a lot worse then getting a cheap guitar.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Yup,South African Rand

Well I have been looking on Bid or Buy "South Africa's eBay"
And also the secondhand website's like Gumtree and Olx.
I've found some very nice secondhand Ibanez S models,but they aren't in my area,they about a 7-8 hour drive away from me.

So that's disappointing.

What do you guy think about the S421?
If you think it would be better to get the "originals" instead of the Gio's,
i'm definitely willing to spend a a bit more for good quality.

There's also the RG370DX?
And that secondhand SA120 that I mentioned (right where I live)

The prices:
S421-R3816/$370
RG370DX-R3045/$295
SA120-R2000/$192

Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

I really have my heart set on an Ibanez...
Last edited by GrimR22 at May 14, 2014,
Quote by GrimR22
I just found a second hand Ibanez SAS32EX for R2500 which is about $242.

What do you guys think?

Are you able to try it out? If its an S-series those guitar bodies are pretty thin. Some people like them and others like thicker bodies. Its really your preference though. So, if you can try it out, that's always helpful in deciding.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Contacted the guy and found out he just sold. Hahaha I'm not having much luck.

Do you think it would be easier to play with a thinner body though?
Quote by GrimR22
Contacted the guy and found out he just sold. Hahaha I'm not having much luck.

Do you think it would be easier to play with a thinner body though?

For me, Yes.
But that's because I like thin and light guitars.
However, for some the S-series are too thin. Google some of the Ibanez S-series and look at the body thickness. You'll notice its extremely thin. I have an RG which is still pretty light/thin just not as thin. Google an RG, you'll see those are thin too just not as thin. For me, the RG is the perfect amount. But I like S-series too.

There's not really a gain or loss to getting one over the other I don't think. Some will say that the tone might be different then other guitars because the body is so thin but it wont sound bad just different then a guitar with super thick body. I think its more of just a personal preference though.

Edit: I noticed looking back, that the guitar you posted isn't an S series its an SA-Series which I don't think are as thin. But it doesn't hurt to look into all of them. Just get your hands on a couple different bodies and see what you like best.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at May 16, 2014,
Thank you for your help and advise Fallenoath,much appreciated.

Will see if I could try some of them out.

Hope to find something perfect for me,soon.

Thanks a million