Is it usually advisable to replace the electronics (pots, selector switches, etc) in an old guitar that has been abused? Or, as long as they still work, is there any advantage tone wise to replacing the parts with new ones?
Depends what you're doing with it, do you need it to be reliable for gigging, if so, swap EVERYTHING out... If its a beater or practice guitar, play it as it lays and roll with it till something burns out 😀
Oh and as far as tone goes, it all depends on what's in there and how it was wired. If there's shoddy wiring and soldering, then yes, new electronic will improve the sound...
Thanks. I'll probably just change out everything since the parts are really not that expensive. Maybe some new pickups too. I've never done this before and never soldered. Any tips?
www.guitarfetish.com sells solderless kits for their active pickups, that's what I'm installing in my latest build. As far as soldering itself, its really easy. Get a cheap soldering iron, something like this, http://m.homedepot.com/p/Weller-40-Watt-Soldering-Iron-Kit-SP40LK/100391613 Don't get a high powered soldering iron, you don't need it and you can melt the pots. Just touch the soldering iron to the existing solder on the wires and the solder will loosen and the wire will come off. Depending on how nice you want it to look, putting heat shrink on the connections is never a bad idea either. I like to keep everything neat as well, so I use small black wire ties too. From here, just make sure when you solder the wire to the pot that the solder and wire are on good. Other than that, you can get decent pickups cheap, from guitar fetish, or even ebay and I think Sam Ash sells Fender pots for like $7.50. Doing this kind of work really isn't that hard, its just having the cajones to do it the first time. 😀
Quote by columbiar
Is it usually advisable to replace the electronics (pots, selector switches, etc) in an old guitar that has been abused? Or, as long as they still work, is there any advantage tone wise to replacing the parts with new ones?

As long as they work, there's really no reason to replace anything. I've got guitars from '49 and '55 that are pretty much original, and haven't found a reason to do much more than run some DeOxit through the pots occasionally.

The question might be, however, what you mean by "abused." If the abuse is limited to cosmetic damage, there's no reason to mess with the electronics. if you've got bent pot shafts, that's a different story.

I'll usually shy away from guitars that the owner has "modded" unless I know what his skill level is. In your case (no soldering experience, etc.), I'd probably be reticent to buy a guitar that you'd worked on (hope you don't take offense, here), especially unseen. I'd almost always rather have a guitar that had been left in factory condition. In part, it's because I know what I'm dealing with, and in part because I don't want to pay for what the owner might consider "upgrades" that I'm going to want to replace anyway.
Quote by dspellman
As long as they work, there's really no reason to replace anything. I've got guitars from '49 and '55 that are pretty much original, and haven't found a reason to do much more than run some DeOxit through the pots occasionally.

The question might be, however, what you mean by "abused." If the abuse is limited to cosmetic damage, there's no reason to mess with the electronics. if you've got bent pot shafts, that's a different story.

I'll usually shy away from guitars that the owner has "modded" unless I know what his skill level is. In your case (no soldering experience, etc.), I'd probably be reticent to buy a guitar that you'd worked on (hope you don't take offense, here), especially unseen. I'd almost always rather have a guitar that had been left in factory condition. In part, it's because I know what I'm dealing with, and in part because I don't want to pay for what the owner might consider "upgrades" that I'm going to want to replace anyway.

By abused, I mean that it has been stored in an unheated/air conditioned shed since around 2000. The metal parts are corroded and there is a little rust here and there from condensation.

As far as resale, this is something I would never sell anyway. Too much sentimental value. But, I've always wanted to attempt to mod/work on a guitar and since this one is kind of a junker now anyway, I figure this is my opportunity!

By the way, I agree with you on buying guitars. I wouldn't knowingly buy a guitar that had been modded unless it was either done by a pro or I knew the guy and his abilities very well.
Of course I guess I could always go the ESP route and use their solder-less wiring system.