Hey guys, i'm looking for a new amp, and I have a simple question to ask:

Would you rather buy a Vox VT20+ or a Blackstar ID TVP / ID Core ?
Neither.

Answer these, please.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Budget : Between 200 and 350€.

Genre: Classic Rock, Blues, 80s Hard Rock, Metal.

Guitarists: Gary Moore, Matthias Jabs, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, SRV, Hendrix, Tom Morello, Joe Bonamassa, Slash, Synyster Gates. And I need cleans.

Home or gigs: It's only for home.

Closest City: I live in Lyon, France.

Current Gear: A very old amp, a Roland DAC 15XD. I can't even get cleans tones on this thing. Concerning guitars, Matthias Jabs signature model, and a Digitech Overdrive.

If you need to know something else, tell me. But what is the problem with these amps ? (I prefer the Blackstar, but it's interesting to get your opinion)
we think you can get better for your money. 350 euros is within range of jet cities on thomann, for example.

when you say you play at home, do you have to play really quietly?

which digitech overdrive is it? just out of interest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You may find yourself a used DSL401 for that money.
You could also get a Jet City combo...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Nothing wrong with the Vox VT....except it isn't the right amp for what you're after. It's great for blues and classic rock, but as soon as you start hitting 80s stuff and metal it's not so good.

Jet City is good for all you're after, except maybe cleans depending how clean you want them. My experience says they start breaking up as soon as you take the gain past 1. If you can live with that, you won't get a better amp for the money.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Used Egnater Rebel, Marshall Class 5 and +1 for the dsl401.

Just outta curiousity, are Egnaters widely available in Europe?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Not that I know of.
I mean I can't find any on ebay for decent prices, and here in Italy I can hardly find them at all.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I've been wanting to try out one of these......

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC4TV/

Wonder how it'd sound with one of these, too:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V112TV

I have tried this version in a store and was freaking blown away.....but it was a little more than I could afford for a "home only" amp.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC4HW1/

That handwired was really, really sweet.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Please mods, create a buyers guide page on amps and guitars, this question or the "what guitar should I get?" question is asked everyday, surely there must be a way to make a page and direct people there, these questions really clutter up the forums.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
It's a heck of a lot of work.

That's also what the forum is for. Without those questions we don't have a forum.

Also we already have one. It's not perfect (by a long shot), but it's pretty difficult to get it right.

Also any info in those "buyers' guides" is often out of date before you even post it because kit is discontinued all the time and new products released constantly.

I've been writing a sticky for a good while now to try to improve on the current one, but I'm not writing it to discourage threads- quite the opposite. If people are spending a fair bit of money they're perfectly entitled to ask a question and to expect a reply which is tailored to their particular situation. The stickies just help lurkers who might not want to make a thread (which is their prerogative) and/or give people who are newer players some info before they make the thread.

EDIT: sorry if that sounds a bit harsh You know what I mean. I just sometimes wonder if people actually want there to be a forum or not, you know?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 13, 2014,
In my personal experience, nearly anything Blackstar is the dogs-bollocks.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
well that's half right
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Spambot_2
You may find yourself a used DSL401 for that money.
You could also get a Jet City combo...

I have never tried this amp
I forgot one thing: I'm not really looking for a tube amp. As I said, it's only for my personal use at home
Quote by -LAW-
In my personal experience, nearly anything Blackstar is the dogs-bollocks.

Tell me more. Why ?
Matthias Jabs used used Soldanos for a better half of his career if I remember correctly, so a Jet City combo would be a good choice here as they basically are cheap versions of Soldanos. But he did also use Marshalls in the 80's, so did the Schenker brothers.
Most of the other guitarists you mentioned, including: Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher, SRV, Hendrix, Tom Morello, Joe Bonamassa and Slash used Marshall or still use them.
So a DSL401 combo (or even DSL201) would be the best choice overall. Gary Moore even used the head versions of DSLs live.
Quote by GaryBillington
Nothing wrong with the Vox VT....except it isn't the right amp for what you're after. It's great for blues and classic rock, but as soon as you start hitting 80s stuff and metal it's not so good.

Concerning cleans, In my opinion, Blackstar ID TVP is better than the VOX VT+
Quote by tsc86
Matthias Jabs used used Soldanos for a better half of his career if I remember correctly, so a Jet City combo would be a good choice here as they basically are cheap versions of Soldanos. But he did also use Marshalls in the 80's, so did the Schenker brothers.
Most of the other guitarists you mentioned, including: Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher, SRV, Hendrix, Tom Morello, Joe Bonamassa and Slash used Marshall or still use them.
So a DSL401 combo (or even DSL201) would be the best choice overall. Gary Moore even used the head versions of DSLs live.

Like I said before, I live in town, and a Tube Amplifier isn't really what I need right now. I don't have to play loud. But thanks for this interesting point of view
Quote by ProgFripp74
Please mods, create a buyers guide page on amps and guitars, this question or the "what guitar should I get?" question is asked everyday, surely there must be a way to make a page and direct people there, these questions really clutter up the forums.

The trouble is, with amps & guitars there's a lot of subjectivity involved, what is right for one person may be completely wrong for another.

Even so, over in the recordings forum we have a sticky which gives advice about all the kit you need to get started with recording. Considering there is less subjectivity there, as good kit is good kit (as opposed to guitars where a fender may be completely wrong for one person but the ultimate dream for another), the sticky still gets ignored with people who think they need their own personal thread to define their requirements for what kit needs to be recommended even though 99% of the time the answers in the sticky are correct and end up being the final answer.

Can you imagine trying to create a definitive list of recommendations for all budgets & genres for what would be the best guitar? Or amp? Or effect? I know Dave said he's pulling something together, but a complete list that provides all the answers would be a literal impossibility.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Dave_Mc
we think you can get better for your money. 350 euros is within range of jet cities on thomann, for example.

when you say you play at home, do you have to play really quietly?

which digitech overdrive is it? just out of interest.

It's the Bad monkey Overdrive. I use it to boost my "amp" gain, and it sounds good =)
^ nice the BM is pretty nice, it's a handy pedal to have.

one of the better modellers might be worth looking at? normally i'd say the vox valvetronixes are the better ones for lighter stuff while the roland cubes are better for the heavier stuff, but you're sort of straddling that line so it's hard to advise

I haven't tried some of the newer modellers either, like the peavey vypyrs and fender mustangs etc. which also have a good rep.

Quote by GaryBillington
The trouble is, with amps & guitars there's a lot of subjectivity involved, what is right for one person may be completely wrong for another.

Even so, over in the recordings forum we have a sticky which gives advice about all the kit you need to get started with recording. Considering there is less subjectivity there, as good kit is good kit (as opposed to guitars where a fender may be completely wrong for one person but the ultimate dream for another), the sticky still gets ignored with people who think they need their own personal thread to define their requirements for what kit needs to be recommended even though 99% of the time the answers in the sticky are correct and end up being the final answer.

Can you imagine trying to create a definitive list of recommendations for all budgets & genres for what would be the best guitar? Or amp? Or effect? I know Dave said he's pulling something together, but a complete list that provides all the answers would be a literal impossibility.

I don't know anything about recording, but yeah, agreed. When I said I was in the process of doing something I'm not really making a list of recommended gear as such (tried that the first time round and it was virtually impossible, as you said), just a more general information sticky.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by _tim*
Like I said before, I live in town, and a Tube Amplifier isn't really what I need right now. I don't have to play loud. But thanks for this interesting point of view
It's not like a tube amp won't have a master volume control y' know.
Also, most amps, either solid state or tube, will be too lod for you when you actually turn them up, so justget something that sounds good to you and then use the volume control.

If you didn't try one of the amps I suggested, I suggest going into a store and trying out stuff - that's way more informative.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola