Hi, im planning to buy a nylon-stringed classical guitar. I went to the music shop yesterday and tried out the Yamaha CG182s. The guitar is on sale for 299 euros (400 us). I liked it. Has anyone any bad/good experiences with Yamaha guitars? any other suggestions for the same budget?

thnx for the answers,
cheers
Nylon string guitars tend to be in 2 categories, insanely expensive and very nice or relatively cheap and completely horrible. Yamaha is one of the few companies that makes middle of the road Nylon string guitars. They still make the cheap and horrible but their middle of the road are always worth a look. In Europe another middle of the road Nylon string guitar maker is Faith so they will be worth a look as well.
Not taking any online orders.
Are you considering used? I got Yamaha G255S for under $200 US, used, made in late 70s, which has very nice tone. I've played G235 from same era which also had nice tone. Both much better than $300 "new" student guitars like by Takamine. You can get a lot of bang for the buck buying used for classical guitars under $500, better woods, some nice aging effects that can improve tone, etc.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by Jonee_94
Hi, im planning to buy a nylon-stringed classical guitar. I went to the music shop yesterday and tried out the Yamaha CG182s. The guitar is on sale for 299 euros (400 us). I liked it. Has anyone any bad/good experiences with Yamaha guitars? any other suggestions for the same budget?

thnx for the answers,
cheers

Yamaha makes great guitars for the price. Even their cheap guitars are decent - however make sure you play it first! I can't think of a manufacturer that makes better guitars for under $400.00 US.
i've owned a bunch of under-$400 yamahas, and even the cheapest was better than the competition. that being said, i've had to exchange a couple due to intonation issues, so it's best when possible to buy in person so you can be sure the copy you get is well intonated. in case you're not sure, play the first string open, then play it again at the 12th fret. repeat with each string. if any of the strings sound sharp at the 12th fret compared to how the string sounded open, move to another copy of the guitar and try it the same way.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have had great experiences with Yamaha guitars. Both of the guitars I currently own are Yamaha and one of them is a nylon string. It's a Yamaha G-225SII. It's a beautiful guitar and plays wonderfully. I haven't tried any other Yamaha nylons but I have played quite a few steel string Yamaha guitars and I have never come across one that I did not like.

But yes, like the others said, you must try it out in person before you buy it, and try lots of different models and brands in your price range before making a decision.
Iv played a few Yamaha's, not bad, but I prefer La' Patrie, great hand made guitars from Canada.
I've got an old Nippon Grakki #60, given to me by a friend of my family a while ago. I lived in a van and back of a truck with it in the rocky and cascade mountains for about ten years. No case all that time, and it's very beat up, I snapped the neck off once and glued in back together, and I made a nut for it from a piece of oak. It sounds good to my ears, and somehow seems to be getting better with age.

I'd compare the Yamaha your looking at with a few other brands side by side on a couple different days if possible.
Last edited by nylonbeater at May 25, 2014,
If you knowledge of guitars is small, then go with Yamaha. They have been recommended in this forum more than any other guitar. Unfortunately they are insanely expensive in my country.
I see it has a spruce top, ebony fingerboard, and rosewood back, what more could you want. Put a picture up when you get it.
Cheers///
Last edited by tuxs at May 29, 2014,
I have a G255-S that was poorly repaired (top crack) and itr was sold for $55 in eBay. So it looks like hell, but plays great and sounds good. It's a student caliber guitar (Not near an old Takamine C136 or even my better C128S from 1987). But with a solid top, I may have the top sanded smooth and refinished as a project. No one would buy it looking like hell, but it's a pretty good classical guitar.
Yamaha nylon strings have been around a long time, and have a good reputation. Others I would be looking at if you have the opportunity are Cordoba, another golden oldie, and Katoh, a relative newcomer. I've tried a couple of the latter, and thought they were outstanding for the money; the local classical teacher is recommending them.
jorecazu003 I will soon; the top is sanded down and what is left it to seal and finish it in light tint then gloss clearcoat. I took off the tuners to clean and polish them and Yamaha Japan is on the back of each. The G255S was a solid top spruce guitar near the top of the Yamaha line. Rosewood sides and back and real ebony fretboard .... mine has no fret wear. Mine will look quite nice when ready. user34603@aol.com in a few weeks if you still have an interest and it will be in eBay, most likely. The G255S is getting harder to find and beat most any of the Cordobas (I played a C9 and owned the Studio Negra flamenco crossover and had a C7 a while).
The short answer is yes, they are

For buying/selling, please use the Classifieds forum on UG and private messages. Thanks!
My God, it's full of stars!