A while back a buddy of mine bought a Squier thinline hh and upgraded the pickups. Hes looking to sell it and is offering me a pretty low price for it. I love the sound and I love the feel, but I HATE the way it looks without a pickguard. My question is this: is there any special preparation or anything that goes into putting a pickguard on a semi hollow guitar that didn't have one before, or is it just like normal pickguard replacement? It won't somehow ruin the sound or finish, will it? Sorry, my modding experience is limited at best.
Well, you will have to drill holes for the pickguard. That will ruin the finish according to whose definition of ruining you use. Drill the holes and screw it on. Make sure it fits, and make sure you have something to drill into on the other side of the top of the guitar. I have no idea how thick the wood is there.
I really don't see any way it will change the sound.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I guess that's what I was really getting at, but I sounded like an idiot. So would I have to put anything on the other end of the screws I drill in from the inside of the guitar? If so, how would I go about doing that?
You could get some wood same type as the guitar and back it up with that if it's not thick enough. That may be hard to do without a lot of access. Guessing there's only the standard F hole The screws will be pretty small on the pickguard, though, so it may be a non issue.
How thick is the body, do you think? the screws are usually 3/8 to 1/2 an inch long (probably 5 or 6 mm if you're a metric guy)
Is this a moot point? Is the left side of the body hollow? How much of the body is chambered?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals