I tried to use my boss pedal plugged into the back of my Peavey today and it sounded like shit on, but to my surprise it sounded a lot better with the pedal off. By that I still mean plugged into the amp but just not on, after I unplugged the pedal to check sure enough it didn't sound as good.

So is that just normal? like some kind of boost or whatever? And can I harm my amp doing this.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Try plugging just a cable in from the fx send to the fx return, it doesn't harm your amp.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Yeah just a small cable did the same thing. I definitely think it makes a difference and personally I think it sounds better.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
What kind of pedal were you using?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
^^It doesn't matter what pedal is there -- something happens when you use the effects loop on that amp, even if it's just a 6" cable connecting the send and return jacks. In my opinion, it sounds overly harsh and fizzy, but that could be that I also use a boost up front. Without a boost pedal, the amp could use a little brightening. I run an EQ in the loop, however, and get a better sound regardless.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Replace V5
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey are not very good at designing amps, particularly loops.

But then again, to be fair, a lot of other companies aren't either.

Gotta look in the nooks and crannies to find a real beautifully designed amp with no stupid little problems like this. Usually gotta drop $$$ too, unfortunately.

I say this as someone who has owned a ValveKing, 5150, JSX, & 6505. I'm a little over it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
Replace V5

Cath, I've tried that with various new tubes, and it doesn't have any effect on this. It's like the effects loop has a built-in buffer -- and a bad one at that. There is a mod to make the effects loop true-bypass, but I haven't bothered with it, as I'm very happy with the sound I get with an EQ in the loop.

As Offworld pointed out, many amps in that price range have flaws. For $600, I'm pretty happy with what the amp is good at.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
the buffer in the pedal is buffering the loop better than whatever peavey uses to drive the loop?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?