Anyone have any experience with these guitars? I got an offer for a 1982 Ibanez Blazer with humbuckers for $300 which I'm not too familiar with the value of these guitars. My only issue is I kinda wish it had 24 frets so I'm also wondering if it would be worth it replacing the neck for this guitar?

It seems like a nice relic for only $300, but looking for some others opinions on it.

To further clarify, I'm not looking to play blues with this thing. I'm looking to play metal oriented music. Maybe a swap of pickups could get this thing rolling for metal?
Last edited by wheelz1045 at May 13, 2014,
You won't be able to just slap any old Ibanez 24 fret neck on there. The bolt pattern might be different. Plus there are scale length and harmonic spot issues.

$300 seems like a pretty decent price for it. You could probably go $275. It will probably feel somewhere between a strat and Wizard neck RG. I think they used the same neck profile on the bolt on Icemans.

If it has humbuckers, the 80s Ibanez humbuckers actually weren't that bad. They will do hi gain just fine. If they aren't DMZ/IBZ, DiMarzio still probably had something to do with it. Do you know what model they are exactly?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
It is essentially a Stratocaster clone, so Ibanez did not think that it should have 24 frets. The models with stock humbuckers were a little less like a Strat (in the body shape) than were the models with three single-coil pickups. A neck swap might prove to be more trouble than it is worth, as others have already mentioned. The Blazers were pretty neat guitars. They were well-made, and a lot of people thought that the stock all-brass hardware was a real plus. Whether it is worth the $300.00 asking price will depend on the condition of the guitar. $300.00 strikes me as being at the high end of a reasonable price for one of those guitars.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Eh, judging from the responses then this oldie doesn't seem to be all that great? As far as I know it has the stock Ibanez humbuckers that originally came with it. If $300 is a fairly high-end asking price then I assume this guitar pretty much hovers around entry-level? If so, then I think I'll pass on it.
Quote by wheelz1045
Eh, judging from the responses then this oldie doesn't seem to be all that great? As far as I know it has the stock Ibanez humbuckers that originally came with it. If $300 is a fairly high-end asking price then I assume this guitar pretty much hovers around entry-level? If so, then I think I'll pass on it.

Quote FatalGear41: The Blazers were pretty neat guitars. They were well-made, and a lot of people thought that the stock all-brass hardware was a real plus.

Neither of us said it was bad. Just if you are dead set on a 24 fret guitar you should probably look elsewhere. Otherwise, if you like the guitar definitely get it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9