Okay, I already learned all about moving some of the chords up and down the neck, like barre and power chords.

But I have noticed in multiple videos, where it looks like the guitarist is moving a D chord up the neck. I am wondering if that is indeed a D chord, or some other chord my teacher never told me about?
That is the position for a D chord, but moving it up changes the note.
It's quite likely a chord your teacher never told you about. But the thing about the guitar is that there are many ways to voice a chord. This includes mixing open strings and fretted notes high on the neck. To actually know what chord it is, you would have to know what notes are being played.

One example that I can think of is the introduction (first 10 seconds) to Whataya Want From Me by Adam Lambert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Fqn9du7xo&gl=SG&hl=en-GB

|-10--10-09--14-14-14-14-7--14-14-14-14-7|
|-12--12-10--15-15-15-15-8--15-15-15-15-8|
|-11--11-11--14-14-14-14-7--14-14-14-14-7|
|----------------------------------------|
So what's important to understand here is that chords consist of certain notes.

Your standard xx0232 is not the D, it is just a way to play a D chord on a guitar - and there are a ton of ways.
If you move this, it's no longer a D, unless you take it to fret 14 (an octave up). If you hold a shape and move it - it becomes another chord.
If you hold your F chord and move up a fret, you have F#, then G, then G#, then A and you can make any major chord as you move further up. The F is actually just an "E" shape, moved up one fret adding the necessary barre to change the notes of the open strings. It's the same with other shapes. You can move A and C to make whatever other normal chord, but you need to add the barre.
They are an alternate way to play chords. So these two are E and F respectively although you aren't playing the root note on the D string. So for the E, you are playing an E on the 5th fret of the B string and likewise for F and the 6th fret. You can do the same thing by moving up Dm, Dsus4 etc.

|-4------------5-------------------------|
|-5------------6-------------------------|
|-4------------5-------------------------|

If you wanted, and I know some guitarists do this, you can play your A shape barre chords without your root on the A string nor playing the D string. So you are still playing the chord but only the higher end of it. So in this you have a C, then a Cm then a D. An example of a song where this is done is in the recurring little riff in Little Wing by Derek and the Dominos.
|-----3-----3----5-----------------------|
|-----5-----4----7-----------------------|
|-----5-----5----7-----------------------|

Although, essentially this is what a capo does. It lets you continue using open fret chords but raise the tuning so you aren't playing in E tuning but in F, F#, G etc.
So if you were to put a capo on the 2nd fret, (F# tuning), your "D shape" would be playing an E, your "A shape" would be playing a B etc.
Led Zeppelin - Song Remains The Same
Wolfmother - White Unicorn
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by matthewzguitarz
Oh, that makes sense now, thanks

So is this like music theory though?

Yes, this would be going more into the realms of chord construction. We actually have many articles on chord construction, one of which is part of a series that I really like: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_iii_1_chords_-_chord_construction.html
Quote by matthewzguitarz
So is this like music theory though?

It is but for the love of god don't shy away from it; learn as much as you can because it's never going to hurt.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Any chord can be transposed to a new position just as any note can be,Creating a different chord using the same grip.Obviously a D shape moved up a step is an E,Just don't play the open D string as you move up into different keys that don't work with a D in there.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It is but for the love of god don't shy away from it; learn as much as you can because it's never going to hurt.

I actually want to take music theory class things before I go to college, so I guess it would be good to start now...
All chords are technically "moveable".

A chord is a group of notes, and anywhere you can play those notes you can play that chord.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you aren't playing any open strings, the chord is movable and the type of chord remains the same (e.g. if you're playing a G major barre chord and move it up 2 frets it's now A major).

If it has open strings and you move it, the type of chord will change. It may still be a chord, but it won't be the exact same type of one.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I dunno. if you have a big thick music theory book and drop it on your toe it might hurt.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno. if you have a big thick music theory book and drop it on your toe it might hurt.

http://instantrimshot.com/

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?