I'm kicking around the idea of buying a seven string. Never owned one, might be fun to have for the extra heavy stuff. My main criteria are low price, and that it is generally not a big piece of shit. I already have several nice six strings, this seven string would be to scratch an itch, so to speak. As long as it doesn't have big glaring defects that'll make it hateful to play, it's fine. I'd rather buy used to get the most for my money. I'd like to keep it to $200 bucks max. I'm thinking a lower end ibanez RG would fit the bill. Don't know what model number, I'm not an Ibanez guy really. Anything else out there worth considering?

Edit
Also it it had a tune-o-matic bridge that would be awesome.
Last edited by TheJawsOfDeath at May 13, 2014,
If you can find one, a used Agile might be right up your alley. There's one going on my local gear exchange that's exactly what you want for that price.

If you aren't a huge fan of Ibby I wouldn't recommend the RGs. I love mine but other people I know don't like the super thing neck profile or the feel of it. They don't even make the 7321 now and the 7421 feels cheap to me.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
look for a washburn WG587. not bad. may need new pickups. i paid $150 new probably in 2003-2004. it was by all means a good guitar for the price. if you are really picky (like i am now) you could probably spend some time crossing the 't' and dotting the 'i'

i really didn't like the feel (personally) of seven strings. i bought it on a whim and it wasn't bad.

i was recently thinking about going out and trying some and i went to GC and played a jackson model and an ibanez iron label. the iron label is pretty awesome. the jackson didn't have the attention to detail. i was there for a while and i just left with the conclusion that i like 6 strings.

here is the washburn, but he wants too much. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Washburn-7-string-wg-587-Electric-Guitar-/221430562513?pt=Guitar&hash=item338e4a3ed1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 13, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
If you can find one, a used Agile might be right up your alley. There's one going on my local gear exchange that's exactly what you want for that price.

If you aren't a huge fan of Ibby I wouldn't recommend the RGs. I love mine but other people I know don't like the super thing neck profile or the feel of it. They don't even make the 7321 now and the 7421 feels cheap to me.

I'd give an Agile a try for sure. I've been looking at the stuff on rondomusic lately, seem promising. I don't mean I'm anti-Ibanez by any means, the first nice guitar that really impressed me was an S470 many years ago. I just haven't ever kept track of their model lineup.

So maybe I'll check out one of those Ibanez iron labels or a washburn. If I can get something cheap enough, my overall pickyness goes way down. I mean, I'm pretty happy with my $100 SX bass haha.

Anyone have any experience with a Dean ML X7? There's one on CL for $150. Plus, it'd also satisfy my urge for something pointy/explorer-ey.

Edit: apparently the iron labels are expensive! never mind...
Last edited by TheJawsOfDeath at May 14, 2014,
Quote by TheJawsOfDeath
I'd give an Agile a try for sure. I've been looking at the stuff on rondomusic lately, seem promising. I don't mean I'm anti-Ibanez by any means, the first nice guitar that really impressed me was an S470 many years ago. I just haven't ever kept track of their model lineup.

So maybe I'll check out one of those Ibanez iron labels or a washburn. If I can get something cheap enough, my overall pickyness goes way down. I mean, I'm pretty happy with my $100 SX bass haha.

Anyone have any experience with a Dean ML X7? There's one on CL for $150. Plus, it'd also satisfy my urge for something pointy/explorer-ey.

Edit: apparently the iron labels are expensive! never mind...

i would not go for the dean. their lower end lines are severely lacking in most every way i had a friend who had like five deans all less that $500 each and they were terrible compared to what you can get with another brand. once you move up the price brackets, they can be decent guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by TheJawsOfDeath
Just found a Washburn 587 on Guitar Center's used inventory for $130. I'm wary of buying a used guitar and not being able to play it first, but seems like a decent price. Might just have to grab this one..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-WASHBURN-WG-587-7-STRING-110045219-i3720140.gc

go for it. worst case scenario you can still return it in 30 days for a refund.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by TheStig1214

Used RG7321s are still pretty easy to snag below $200.

If you're patient the MIJ RG7421 (dinged/scratched) for low 200s. Upgrade to a Hipshot later, some Sperzels, and better DMs when you're able.

Check out some older Schecters and LTDs, too.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
go for it. worst case scenario you can still return it in 30 days for a refund.

You can also return it to any Guitar Center store with return authorization. Don't have to ship it back.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2