Sorry if this has been done to death already, but I'm looking at a Sansamp rack unit to replace my Line 6 Bass Pod; the clean tones are fine, but I just can't get a nice distorted sound. Out of the VT Bass, the RBI and the RPM, is there a particularly outstanding model I should use for metal bass?

Thanks.
The RPM has more (and some say better) distortion capability than does the RBI; even for the electric bass. I have one and the thing is truly first-rate. I would go with that one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by staceap
Sorry if this has been done to death already, but I'm looking at a Sansamp rack unit to replace my Line 6 Bass Pod; the clean tones are fine, but I just can't get a nice distorted sound. Out of the VT Bass, the RBI and the RPM, is there a particularly outstanding model I should use for metal bass?

Feel free to just pop that Bass Pod (XT?) into the post and send it on to me as a charity donation.

As an aside, (and since I'm unfamiliar with a Sansamp bass unit), I would note that an alarmingly increasing number of local (LA) metal bassists have reduced or eliminated distortion use (though the pedals aren't coming out of their rig's chains any time soon). I think it's a sneaky way to differentiate themselves from the wall of 8-string distortion coming from the guitarists.
I just sold my RBI on Monday, which was, by all means, an excellent sounding preamp, I just don't play bass live as much anymore. If I were to buy one right now, it'd probably be the RPM for the larger flexibility, but that assumes I could buy it for a similar price to the RBI. I only paid $120 for mine
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com