Page 1 of 2
regular users: what kind of threads would you like to participate in? political debates? religious discussion? flame wars? chit chat about various topics? tangential free-for-alls? joke/mirror threads? ONLY threads?

mods: how do you personally decide to lock or not lock a thread when it's not obviously breaking a rule? do you leave a message when you lock threads? if not, why not? how tolerant are you of hostility between users?

for everyone: what kind of atmosphere would be ideal for you?

given the recent complaints about the forum in yet another "the pit is dying" thread i thought we might do something more constructive and talk about what we want out of this forum, users and moderators alike.

personally, i shagged the pit's gf for banter.
i don't know why i feel so dry
really any thread that has a eye catching title
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
i like the forum rn it is ok

You described all the types of threads so appealingly.

I'll being a pitter patter foreeeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrr! Hooorrrrraaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
threads should be less shitty, and more good
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
people need to stop using pit threads as their personal blog you dont have to document your life here on a daily/weekly/whatever basis you know who you are
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
people need to stop using pit threads as their personal blog you dont have to document your life here on a daily/weekly/whatever basis you know who you are

if it leads to interesting conversation then what's the problem?
Quote by Eastwinn
regular users: what kind of threads would you like to participate in? political debates? religious discussion? flame wars? chit chat about various topics? tangential free-for-alls? joke/mirror threads? ONLY threads?
bolded my interests
Quote by Eastwinn
mods: how do you personally decide to lock or not lock a thread when it's not obviously breaking a rule? do you leave a message when you lock threads? if not, why not? how tolerant are you of hostility between users?
answering as a former mod.

there are some threads while not breaking any rules will guarantee a shitstorm in which rules will be broken. when i see threads like that, i consider who the OP is and who's online at the time and what kinds of replies it's getting, and if it looks like it's destined for a trainwreck I'd lock it.

Unless I felt like waiting around to hand out warnings when things finally get heated and people break rules.

But I always wanted to prevent that from happening in the first place, so I'd lock threads more than I'd warn most of the time. I wouldn't post in them either, just because I'm a behind the scenes kinda guy.
Quote by Eastwinn
it's a decent atmosphere as it is, albeit a little dreary. That comes with the fact that I initially came to the pit for humor and my sense of humor has changed (also there's not as many funny people here anymore).

More activity so the site wouldn't be as slow would be nice, but I only come here to talk to the people I like, and as long as they're here, the rest doesn't concern me anymore.
Quote by behind_you

The pit is my mental potty.
we need more fun
we need to lessen bad stuff
this is our time
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
we need more fun
we need to lessen bad stuff
this is our time

i agree that we need more fun. i've making fairly open ended, light hearted threads to do this, but i'm not sure if it's the right approach. i'd love to make some debate threads but as you can see from jay's post, if it's on a topic that will surely lead to flame war, it's gonna get closed. coming up with serious stuff to talk about that's novel and not too personal is actually pretty hard.
Quote by Amuro Jay
(also there's not as many funny people here anymore).

Watch your mouth, little mister...
Political threads are great as long as users can act maturely. Unfortunately there is a tendency for minority opinions to be ridiculed by several people at once, rather than engaged intelligently. The name calling is also pretty silly.

That being said I wouldn't mind daily news threads being posted; they can do a lot to stimulate a community.
More threads about King of the Hill and less threads not about King of the Hill
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
we need more threads about pooping

everybody underestimates the importance of a healthy, regular poop
Quote by Burgery
threads should be less shitty, and more good

i concur

nah, the pit is g right now, yeah sure it can be a bit slow at times but I really shouldn't check it as much as I do.
banned
if it's overwhelming stupid or it's something that's been covered a bunch of times or it's degenerated into pointless argument where everyone is getting mad, I close it.

rules (that we make anyway) have a degree of ambiguity in what we can consider spam. just straying mildly off the original topic was enough to get a thread closed once.

if it's not obvious to everyone why, I usually leave a message.

I don't want to stifle passionate debate and discussion so only care about hostility if it's genuinely spiteful rather than casual banter.

if you want to regenerate the pit the question is more of 'what can we do to draw people in from other social media' rather than trying to stop people leaving. People have always moved on from this forum but up until competition from other sources popped up we've had many new people come in to replace them.

most other forums still surviving are doing so because they focus on a particular interest that is hard to have full discussions about on facebook/twitter/tumblr. reddit is a serious competitor but many old forum users (me included) dislike the ui and layout there. at UG we do draw new people in for guitar and gear help, who may then come to the pit, but they tend to just come for some technical discussions and go back to their other social media for general discussion.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I like threads that are about similar interests/hobbies that I have, and don't usually participate in the casual banter threads unless I'm drinking because people talking like this

i like the forum rn it is ok

is annoying as shit
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Eastwinn

Now that I think about it, I think I tend to join in on casual conversation type threads. I don't click threads because I want to post in them; I click them to read them and then I may post depending on whether I feel like I have something to say, regardless of it being on-topic or just an off-topic reply to a particular post.

The only "big thread" where I'm a regular is the Chat Thread, which I think is a fairly open thread in terms of community, i.e. posters there just post all over the Pit (which makes sense, since it's a topicless thread). I've also been posting in the Maths/Science help thread because I love explaining things to people. Which is probably also why I post in the Musician Talk subforum (that and because I want to learn too).

I take a look at the ONLY threads sometimes but I never post in them. The only one I sometimes think of posting in is the Football Thread, but my interest in football has been waning over the last few years and I'm not too fond of the general atmosphere of the thread, so I've never posted there. Most of the ONLY threads don't deal with anything I'm even vaguely interested in, though.

I'm not very fond of being in political/religious/etc arguments because 1. I'm not very opinionated; 2. I don't like not being friendly; 3. I feel like arguing gets tiring after a very short while and after I've made one or two thought-out posts I start to hate it. Although I do enjoy reading said arguments sometimes.

I only started posting regularly (in The Pit at least) in mid-late 2013, and I think that might be because I didn't feel compelled to post or even lurk much before. I started to enjoy going through Pit threads around late 2012 and I started lurking progressively more from then on and then I just realised I might as well start posting regularly. So it was the modern Pit that drew me in. I guess I found the whole atmosphere of the Pit and the pace of the threads a bit off-putting back when I registered.
Dreadnought mirrors my feelings exactly. Also, I would definitely enjoy more shoop threads.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I don't go into serious threads about the interests/hobbies that I have because people talking like this

Quote by Dreadnought
I like threads that are about similar interests/hobbies that I have, and don't usually participate in the casual banter threads unless I'm drinking because people talking like this

is annoying as shit

is annoying as shit
any thread because i have nothing else to do with my life

but anywhere i can spam grime is really my thing
Quote by Dreadnought
I like threads that are about similar interests/hobbies that I have, and don't usually participate in the casual banter threads unless I'm drinking

Yuppp. This is exactly how I feel as well.
People are too afraid to make new threads for fear that they will be shut down, ganged up on and made fun of. Some of the best threads could be hiding under this fear.
definitely not this one

EDIT: shit.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Thrill-house
I wish the elder scrolls thread was active cause I still can't stop playing those fucking games.

Same.

Edit: and +1 to what dread said
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at May 14, 2014,
Quote by Eastwinn
regular users: what kind of threads would you like to participate in?

Anything that doesn't degrade into a flame-storm. So no politics and religion. It's really stupid seeing people trying to accuse others of being racist over the tiniest of things.

I prefer threads where people just talk about some random shit, like driving with the windows down versus AC or something stupid like that. Also, joke/mirror threads are always good for a laugh.

The reason I keep coming back is for the laughs.

Less circle-jerky please. It seems like it's the same people commenting on each others posts over and over. I notice that people I know are far more likely to comment on a post of mine than someone I don't know.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Anything that doesn't degrade into a flame-storm. So no politics and religion. It's really stupid seeing people trying to accuse others of being racist over the tiniest of things.

I prefer threads where people just talk about some random shit, like driving with the windows down versus AC or something stupid like that. Also, joke/mirror threads are always good for a laugh.

The reason I keep coming back is for the laughs.

Less circle-jerky please. It seems like it's the same people commenting on each others posts over and over. I notice that people I know are far more likely to comment on a post of mine than someone I don't know.

This.

Plus, shoop threads are usually pretty badass.
oh was "people that talk to each other more comment on each other's stuff more than random people they don't know at all" what was meant by 'circlejerking' this whole time?
Quote by Eastwinn
if it leads to interesting conversation then what's the problem?
except it doesnt dont be silly like come on man
ggg1 ggg3

Opinion/debate threads. Can't stand chit-chat bullshit threads.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by willT08
oh was "people that talk to each other more comment on each other's stuff more than random people they don't know at all" what was meant by 'circlejerking' this whole time?

what a crime right?

Quote by behind_you
except it doesnt dont be silly like come on man

i just made a stupid blog post thread and it lead to pleasant conversation about landscaping then cars.
Quote by Eastwinn
what a crime right?
Please don't respond to will's posts, as you two have most likely interacted in the past.
i think the only threads that are a waste of space are mirror threads. haven't seen a funny one yet.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Page 1 of 2