Hey,

I've been thinking about some of the threads that have come through lately in regard to having trouble writing full songs and similar issues regarding creativity. I've been thinking about some songwriting exercises that I could suggest and think this idea could help.

I am considering an exercise in which lyrics are provided and your task would be to put music to those lyrics.

The idea is that this would take a lot of pressure off trying to write from scratch. Instead you would have a set of lyrics to work from and interpret in your own way to create music you think fits those lyrics.

Having lyrics already would hopefully be a starting point to help you develop a melody that fits those lyrics as opposed to coming up with something out of nothing and would also outline the song structure.

I have put the idea to some lyricists and not sure if I will get any responses yet but the idea is that you would be able to edit and interpret the lyrics in your own way if the inspiration leads you in that direction. It is just an exercise and the goal is to simply take some pressure off the songwriting process and give you some material to get your juices flowing.

The idea is that the lyrics are relatively simple with a clear meter and form. The participating lyricist may have ideas of his/her own in regard to how the melody might sound which you might consider or disregard at your discretion.

However, it is important to note that no matter how good (or bad) the results are you may not use the lyrics for anything outside of this exercise without the express permission of the lyricist. Similarly they would not be able to use your melodies or music without your permission.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in please post back. If we get enough interest here and I am able to get some lyrics, then we'll do it. If you have any ideas on how this concept could be improved post back or see any potential flaws with this idea then post.

I'm not really sure if it's going to work at this stage...I'm just gauging interest. Also, beginners are welcome, encouraged even. The point is to get practice and experience writing.

Peace
Si
This does seem pretty interesting, I'm in.

I'm going to promote this in the group for that Pit weekly songwriting "contest" (you know the one, right?) if you don't mind. I think the people there would be interested in this sort of thing.
I don't think it's a good idea. Writing music based on lyrics is a hell lot hard, because you're not free to write as you want, you need to follow the metric given by the lyrics.

That's just my opinion, though, others might find it easier.

The idea of creating exercises to help with songwriting is a lot interesting, but it would take time to find out a method which works, and require some people willing to be guinea pigs.
It works by giving you an element of the song already. You're looking at this the wrong way, although I understand that it might not work for you.

The approach wouldn't be to write a song and try to fit the lyrics into it; it would be to write a song using the lyrics and their implied rhythm as a starting point.
What would the requirements of a submission be? Would we have to sing or otherwise perform the work we've written, or would we just be able to submit a sheet music and a mock-up (e.g. a synthesized piece with clear instruments for vocal line, harmony/support, bass, and rhythm etc.)?
You might could use some double modals.
Quote by AETHERA
What would the requirements of a submission be? Would we have to sing or otherwise perform the work we've written, or would we just be able to submit a sheet music and a mock-up (e.g. a synthesized piece with clear instruments for vocal line, harmony/support, bass, and rhythm etc.)?

I would just link an mp3, because I use a DAW. Writing it on sheet music would mostly be a waste of time for me.
I'd be interested in participating

EDIT:

Actually, I could provide some lyrics as well, provided they're up to scratch. I'd like to write some music too, though.
Last edited by TV-Casualty at May 14, 2014,
Oh right, would we be required to sing it? I can see how that would become a problem for some people.

Also, how would the lyrics be distributed?
Quote by sickman411
Oh right, would we be required to sing it? I can see how that would become a problem for some people.

Also, how would the lyrics be distributed?

If singing is required, no one will participate
Quote by Elintasokas
If singing is required, no one will participate

Indeed.

And I wouldn't mind participating. I've always been very music-first-lyrics-second. Should be a good challenge.
Haha no singing required for submissions but you will probably want to sing as you are writing it. The only requirement is that you try to finish the song. A mock up is preferable, you can use a midi flute or synth in place of the vocal melody, but if you can do something better then great. If all you can do is submit sheet music then that's fine too. Even if you don't finish the song but are able to get a chorus done or just a verse then that is fine too.

The idea is just to have a springboard to launch from. I think there's enough interest to go ahead.

Remember - it's not even about how good it sounds, it's about getting some practice.

Quote by mp8andrade
The idea of creating exercises to help with songwriting is a lot interesting, but it would take time to find out a method which works, and require some people willing to be guinea pigs.
That's the point. It may help, it may not, I'm working on some other ideas but thought this might work.
Si
Sounds awesome, I'm just not sure if I have the time

I'll keep checking this thread though, if I think I can make it I'll join.
^pretty much yeah.

Definitely enough interest to go ahead but very little in regard to lyrics so far. Regardless I'll get something up in the next three days and we'll go from there.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
^pretty much yeah.

Definitely enough interest to go ahead but very little in regard to lyrics so far. Regardless I'll get something up in the next three days and we'll go from there.

Sounds good to me. I'm in then.
This sounds fun, I might try it out for the hell of it. I like to think I'm pretty good at writing music, but I've never really tried to write a song from a 'lyrics first' perspective. I always do it the other way around.
Ok, I'm in. (Though I'm not sure if I'll sing...)

(If someone could teach me how to do that effect Ozzy has on Planet Caravan, then maybe I'd sing...)
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at May 19, 2014,
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Ok, I'm in. (Though I'm not sure if I'll sing...)

(If someone could teach me how to do that effect Ozzy has on Planet Caravan, then maybe I'd sing...)

According to wikipedia he used a leslie, so if you could track one down...
Quote by TV-Casualty
According to wikipedia he used a leslie, so if you could track one down...

Or, I could track down an emulator... Huh... I may sing after all... :/