Hello!

I was curious if any Jackson players have experimented with string gauge. I've got an RR1 set up with 9-42's. I decided to try 10-46's. After adjusting spring tension and intonnation, I was ready to rock - but the new strings just sounded flat to me. I have the same strings set up on my explorer and they sound bright and punchy. But on the RR1, they sound muddy and flat. I've tried tweaking EQ on my amp, adjusting pickup height, string height, etc. Does anyone else out there feel the same? Has anyone tried a thicker gauge than the factory recommended 9-42's on a RR1 or similar guitar? Maybe the Seymour Duncans don't react the same to the 10-46's as the Gibson humbuckers do?

Thanks for the input!
I have guitars with duncans with 10s and they're fine. it's not that.

your RR1 has a floyd, right? maybe that's affecting the tone with 10s. or maybe just the inherent tone of the guitar doesn't sound as good with 10s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I have guitars with duncans with 10s and they're fine. it's not that.

your RR1 has a floyd, right? maybe that's affecting the tone with 10s. or maybe just the inherent tone of the guitar doesn't sound as good with 10s.

Yes, the guitar has a floyd. I didn't think the gauge would have that much of an effect on tone. I've switched gauges before on other guitars and I've noticed a difference, but not this much, which made me think that the RR1 just doesn't like 10's!
that may well be so. Or at least you don't like it with 10s.

you could try other brands' 10s, if you really want to use 10s on it, just in case they suit it better.

or if you're happy with 9s just go back to 9s
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?