Page 1 of 3
Ok so we now from music history that genres tend to come and go, every genre that was the biggest one in the world will eventually disappear to a degree, we all want to see the resurgence of Rock/Metal but when do you think that Pop will met the same fate as the rest?

I think it's probably sooner than we think

You?
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by CJGunner7
we all want to see the resurgence of Rock/Metal
jesus wept
but when do you think that Pop will met the same fate as the rest?

it never will, that's the point.

Pop has no defining charecteristics other than being the most popular kind of music
Considering pop has been around since the 50s, and counts The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Madonna, Michael Jackson and their ilk as part of the genre, as well as the ability for pop to assimilate and utilise stylistic variations from pretty much every other genre in existence... I'm going to say it isn't.

Hell, pop and rock and roll are closer to each other than most 15 year old guitarists think.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at May 14, 2014,
Never. Pop changes all the time based on what is popular.

And yeah. I definitely don't want to see a resurgence of metal.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Last edited by SMH07 at May 14, 2014,
Pop is always changing, the current top 40 will be replaced with another style you hate
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
i would really prefer that rock/metal not resurge. the best pop, imo, was the largely electronic new wave in the 80s. we should do something like that again.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Considering pop has been around since the 50s, and counts The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Madonna, Michael Jackson and their ilk as part of the genre, as well as the ability for pop to assimilate and utilise stylistic variations from pretty much every other genre in existence... I'm going to say it isn't.

Hell, pop and rock and roll are closer to each other than most 15 year old guitarists think.

They're actually the same since pop is "popular music" and rock is "popular music."
Wat

Quote by Todd Hart
So 'crunk and 'gandhi are already pussy-whipped, impressive.

Quote by Burgery
you just think they're being mean to you because you have fragile girl feelings
Quote by Eastwinn
i would really prefer that rock/metal not resurge. the best pop, imo, was the largely electronic new wave in the 80s. we should do something like that again.

synthpop is pretty banging yeh
banned
Even when Rock/Metal was at it's peak in terms of popularity, the unpopular stuff was by far the best examples of them.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Puts this in ur sig if ur one of the 1% who still listens to REAL music
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Well 'popular' music will only go away when everybody stops listening to music altogether.

As for what you probably mean by 'pop' music, it will be gone and replaced with something else that's labeled 'pop' sooner or later, the same way it has done since always.

As for the 'resurgence' of metal? I assume you mean 80's Metallica levels of popularity? Not going to happen.
Rock and metal isn't even as unpopular as people think it is. People are just too lazy to look for bands outside of the same old 'Metallica, Guns n' Roses, Iron Maiden' that everybody already know exists.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by steve_muse
Puts this in ur sig if ur one of the 1% who still listens to REAL music

U say miley i say acdc
U say bieber i say zepplin
Quote by SMH07
Never. Pop changes all the time based on what is popular.

I have to agree with this. When I try to think of Pop as a genre, there's still mixes of other genres that blend into what it is as a whole.

For instance, when I think of pop right now, I think of a mix of dance/electronic/hip hop/rock-choruses/etc.

And in a decade or so I'm sure it'll be a different mix. It is a genre in my eyes, but it changes as to what's popular.
*beep beep* One "I WAS BOOORN IN DA WRONG GENERATIONNNNN" kind of guy has been detected
TS, I'm afraid you are sorely mistaken. What we all really want to see is a resurgence of BRAHMS.

hmu if u agre yeh

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by institutions
i don't want to see the resurgence of metal

i want my bubbly j-pop and metrosexual male-fronted j-poprock to live on forever.

But on topic, pop is going to be relative. It "started" with the ability for people to collect and share recorded music/the vaudeville jazz age and has continued to this day. Essentially pop music anything that isn't classical, traditional folk, or ultra-experimental music.

Everyone in this thread should watch the film American Pop as it is my favorite and it traces the course of American Pop music from ~1915 to 1980 (when the movie was made).
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Ended in the 90's everything they call pop now is actually called poop now.
Whats goes around must come down
Im just going to say that pop is short for popular, however popular music is coming to an end slowly.
Statistics show that there are more people listening to a greater array of artists whereas before it was the opposite. There will always be some music more popular than other music but the gap is gradually closing.
listen to the number 1 hits in the last 2 years and notice the variety of subgenres and genres. it's quite silly to think that metal will become pop.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I dunno man coca-classic sales were down worldwide this year first time ever, maybe sooner than later.
Pop isn't a genre? Then how has it remained exactly the same since the sixties?
Page 1 of 3