So basically I was fooling around trying to come up with a riff, and this is the final result.
I sent it to my bass player and he said he has heard it before.
So I'm thinking I probably subconsciously ripped someone off. I wanna know who.
The link is very easy to use just open and click play.

Thank you
Quote by StefanWylde
I've never heard these songs before so... It's probably another song.

Why would that make a difference? It sounds pretty close to Wasting My Hate to me.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
It may sound similar but I have not ripped off Metallica. I hate that band and I'd know if i've heard that song. Maybe they stole the riff from someone else too/
Quote by StefanWylde
It may sound similar but I have not ripped off Metallica. I hate that band and I'd know if i've heard that song. Maybe they stole the riff from someone else too/

Are you being serious? Only because you haven't heard the song or hate the band doesn't make it impossible to steal the riff from that song. It's not exactly the same but it is quite similar. And anyway, a lot of bands rip off other songs.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
Quote by Cing Krimson
Are you being serious? Only because you haven't heard the song or hate the band doesn't make it impossible to steal the riff from that song. It's not exactly the same but it is quite similar. And anyway, a lot of bands rip off other songs.

well if i haven't heard the song it's not ripping off is it/

Quote by aaron aardvark
Stefan,
I don't recognize it. Make your bass player identify the song Perhaps you could review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1644426

i'm not into indie/alternative, so my opinion should not be valuable to you. I read a comment about the vocals that it's your thing. not really digging it.
Last edited by StefanWylde at May 26, 2014,
Quote by StefanWylde
well if i haven't heard the song it's not ripping off is it
Say you were in a band and you wrote this hit song that got so ****in famous.
Now say three weeks after, you hear a song on the radio which has the same catchy riff as your song.
You obviously get angry and sue them for ripping your song off.

Now say, at the trial they say they have never heard your song before, and they genuinely believe they didn't.

Now what's more likely, they heard your song without noticing it or they heard someone whistling the riff a day before writing their song, or they came up with the same riff completely on their own without having heard your song, ever?
It doesn't matter, because it's a rip off anyway if you came up with the thing before.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Say you were in a band and you wrote this hit song that got so ****in famous.
Now say three weeks after, you hear a song on the radio which has the same catchy riff as your song.
You obviously get angry and sue them for ripping your song off.

Now say, at the trial they say they have never heard your song before, and they genuinely believe they didn't.

Now what's more likely, they heard your song without noticing it or they heard someone whistling the riff a day before writing their song, or they came up with the same riff completely on their own without having heard your song, ever?
It doesn't matter, because it's a rip off anyway if you came up with the thing before.

i might be delusional and not thinking the right way but I want to know if i have potential to write good riffs. since it sounds like somebody else, i'm probably going to leave it and not work on it.