Hello. My peavey ultra has been kind of a pain in the ass these past couple of weeks. I have a problem with the clean channel. There is a sound that is very scratchy kinda like that sound is breaking up. i am able to minimize this by playing very soft but when i try to play harder or try chords it just sounds like its breaking up and almost sounds distorted.

Is there any ways i could go about fixing this problem or would i have to bring it in for repair. Thanks
Try swapping the preamp tubes around and see if you get a change.

Have you changed the power tubes in it yet? if not, you should that may be contributing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Would it really be the preamps tho? What is seams like me would be like a bad power tube or some wiring issue
Quote by ENISA
Would it really be the preamps tho? What is seams like me would be like a bad power tube or some wiring issue

It may or may not be. Swapping the preamp tubes around is an easy and free way to check if that is an issue

It could very well be a power tube, that is why I asked if you have changed them yet.

If your on a budget I have used these and they are just fine www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ruby-6l6gcmstr-matched-amp-tubes

These are also pretty decent just make sure you select the matching box when you order
www.tubedepot.com/products/sino-6l6wgs-black-plate-power-vacuum-tube
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I currently have the jj power tubes are those not good or something??
JJ are very good, especially for that particular amp. I think he's just showing you a cheap alternative.
You should have spares. If you did have spares you could have tested your tubes in the time it took to make this thread.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 14, 2014,
Haha yeah that is true well ill start there and if that doesnt resolve the problem ill bring it in for some repairs
use deoxit on the pots and jacks and tube sockets. don't spray in , spray the pins and work them in and out a bit. sometimes things get some dust and get to be a pain.

i have a SS bass amp and it was acting up a little bit, deoxit in the pots and switches, and it went away. hasn't came back. and that was several years ago, but the amp doesn't get a ton of use $10 for a small aerosol can and will last a long time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I will defiantly give the deoxit thing i try. also i notice that when i change the treble nob for the clean channel when i have the guitar ringing the scratchy sound is really noticeable.
Quote by ENISA
I will defiantly give the deoxit thing i try. also i notice that when i change the treble nob for the clean channel when i have the guitar ringing the scratchy sound is really noticeable.

Yeah, try to get the pots good. It may need to have the PCB taken out of the amp to get to them. It isn't hard, but you must take your time.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate